- Text Size +
“Now you must wear this air cast at all times, unless at therapy. But I’m happy with how well things have healed.” The Doctor told Ella strapping on a white air cast.

She was able to get the cast off three weeks earlier than planned but the doctor was confident. I on the other hand felt nervous for her because I knew she would be doing therapy every day to get it ready to dance. It was the middle of August and we were shooting on tour to start at the end of September.

We thanked the Doctor and Ella stood up using her crutches still and we headed out for the car. “ You sure you want to come to rehearsal with me? It’s for three hours.”

“Yes. I want a sneak peak of what I’ll be seeing during this tour.”

“You got it.” I reached for her hand and drove to the studio where we’d be dancing. “You’re not supposed to be putting weight on your foot yet,” I scolded her as we walked into the building. She was using her crutches but using both feet.

“A little won’t hurt. It feels good.”

“Get off it completely. You need it to heal the right way.” She rolled her eyes at me and I knew I was going to have to watch her like a kid.

We walked inside and everyone but Brian was thee. I walked over to where Fatima was to introduce Ella to her.

“Tima, this is Ella, my girlfriend,” I told her and Ella held out her hand.

“Nice to finally meet you Ella, I’ve heard a lot about you.”

“I can only imagine about what,” she laughed.

“Good things. Look, as soon as you get that ankle healed up, I’d be more than happy to help you get back into dance girl. You still have a great dancer’s body; I know you’ll be able to do it.”

“Thanks that would be awesome.”

“And if you have any suggestions while these old men are dancing, please jump in.”

“Alright,” Ella seemed to glow just talking about dance and at that moment I wish I could take her place and have the broken ankles. I showed her over to a chair where she could watch and Brian arrived. We started working on dances to songs we haven’t performed for and ten songs that fans grew up with.

We were on “Something That I Already Know” and Ella had stood up, one crutch in hand for balance and she was playing around with a step.

“Alex it’s not that hard. Jump cross, spin, step back one, two three,” Fatima showed him for the third time.

“He’s getting mixed up because he’s adding a kick, which actually works because it’s when he start’s singing. So, step back kick, one two and three,” Ella spoke up doing the dance mostly on her right leg. I shot her a warming look as she danced and she ignored it.

“That’s good, alright Alex try that.” Fatima did the steps with him and he picked up on it.
The next three hours were grueling since it was crunch time. Ella was up on her feet more than I’d like but she was having fun and doing what she loved. Fatima seemed to be taking a liking to her and it was obvious that Ella knew her stuff. I wish I could’ve seen her dance before the accident.

“You guys keep practicing and I’ll see you next week,” Fatima called out and we packed our things.

“You ready babe?” I asked Ella who was at a barre with her left leg up on it and she was stretching.

“Yeah,” she gave me a warm smile.

“You have fun?” I asked handing her crutches.

“I did.”

“You ready to go home so I can shower and eat, I’m starving.”

“Yeah, I’m hungry too.” I raised both eyebrows at her and was surprised to hear those words.

“What do you want?”

“Grilled chicken, lettuce and tomato on a Kaiser Roll.”

“Maybe we should go out to eat, I don’t feel like cooking.” I laughed

“I’ll make it,” she rolled her eyes and we headed out.

“No you’ll ice, while I grille.” I opened the passenger door for her and she climbed in. I got in the drivers side.

“Yeah that’s probably a good idea.”

“When’s your therapy tomorrow?”

“Eleven.”

“Okay I’ll probably drop you off tomorrow then I have to go to Howie’s. We have to talk promotional stuff. You think two hours you’ll be there?”

“Yeah. I could drive myself Nick.”

“The truck?”

“Or your car?” She smiled.

“Yeah you’re not pushing a clutch in with that ankle. If you’re comfortable yeah you can take the truck.”

“So then you don’t have to worry about me.”

“Ella please,” I gave her a look. “I worry about you when you’re sleeping.”

“I know and you have to start relaxing. Nick I’m finally starting to feel whole again.”

“I know you are. But I worry about people I love.”

“That’s sweet, let me go puke now,” she pretended to gag and I slapped her playfully. We got home and Ella was settled on the couch flipping through the channels with ice on her ankle and it propped up on a pillow.
I threw the chicken on the grill and hopped into the shower quickly. Ten minutes later, I was downstairs and Ella was watching ‘Harry Potter’ that was on the Family Channel.

“I have the movie on DVD you know,” I said before stepping back outside.

“Yeah but I didn’t want to get up.”

“I can see that,” I laughed and went back out to finish the chicken. The sky was dark and a storm was on its way. Another fifteen minutes and the chicken was done. I brought it inside and Ella came into the kitchen with me to help me fix the sandwiches’.

“I didn’t know it was supposed to rain today,” Ella said nibbling on a slice of tomato.

“Yeah well that’s Florida for you.” We finished making our sandwiches and brought them out into the living room. Ella ate almost half of hers and placed the plate on the coffee table. She then leaned against me and put her legs over the arm rest.

“Nick?”

“Babe?”

“How come you never gave up on me?” I stopped mid-way to taking a bite.

“Why are you asking?”

“I’ve put you through a lot of bull shit.”

“Yes.”

“And you’re still with me.”

“Yes.” I took that bite I started.

“Why?”

“Because I love you.”

“But…” Her voice trailed off trying to figure what to say next. I took the last bite and set my empty plate on the table. I turned so my attention was on her.

“I told you, you just have this gravitational pull. I have a need to protect you. You put up with me too ya know, the late night video games.”

“Thank you.”

“For what?” I put my arm around her, kissed her forehead.

“Not giving up on me.”

“I will never give up.” I squeezed her a little and realized just then how much I really did need her in my life as she needed me.

~*~*~*~*~*~
“Hey you,” I said into my phone.

“Hi baby,” Ella said excitedly. “How is work going?”

“Slow. That’s why I’m calling.”

“Oh?”

“Yeah, I’m probably not going to be home until real late tonight.”

“Awe, alright.”

“Yeah sorry. How did your therapy go? Any problems with the truck?”

“It went well. Truck is fine. Don’t you trust me at all?” She asked sarcastically.

“Sure I do. Okay well, if you need anything my phone is on.”

“Have fun.”

“Will do. Love you.”

“Love you.” She responded and I hung up. The guys and I ordered a pizza for our long night of finishing up final touches for the tour. We only had three arguments and were able to agree on more than we usually did. By eleven pm we decided to call it a night.

I was tired, for not doing anything very physical I felt drained and wanted to be in my bed. I pulled into the garage, shut the door and opened the side door. As soon as I walked into the kitchen I could smell bleached lemons; which meant Ella had cleaned. Dishes were done, counters wiped, floor moped and I could smell fabric softener. She’s been busy too. I threw my keys on the counter and walked towards the living room where I heard the television on.

Ella had both of her legs up on a pillow and an ice pack on each. Late Night TV with Conan was on and she was asleep. I felt guilty for waking her up but knew she’d be more comfortable up in bed. I knelt down on the floor, kissed her cheek and rubbed her head.

“Ella,” I whispered.

“Hmm?” She moaned a little and her eyes fluttered opened. When I came into focus a smile formed on her lips.

“Hi,” I smiled.

“What time is it?”

“Eleven thirty. You cleaned house girl, it looks amazing.”

“Thanks,” she said sleepily.

“You ready for bed?” She sat up a little and nodded. “Both ankles sore?”

“Just a little.”

“You weren’t using your crutches were you?” I pulled her to her feet and she had her weight heavily on me. I picked her up into my arms and she laid her head onto my shoulder.

“I like you coming home to me,” she smiled.

“I like coming home to you too,” I brought her into the bedroom and we got ready for bed.

~*~*~*
The next morning I woke up to Ella kissing my neck. “May I help you?” I asked my eyes still closed.

“I want to go to the beach.”

“Oh, do you now?”

“Yes, and I want blue berry pancakes.”

“You going to make them?”

“Yes, but my air cast and crutches are downstairs.”

“Well, go get them.” I said rolling over. She slapped my back and pushed me towards the end of the bed.

“Niick,” she whined.

“Ellaaa,” I whined back laughing. “Okay okay,” I sat up. “But first a shower,” I picked her up and brought her into the bathroom. I started the shower; put her to her feet and we began kissing under the shower.

“This is the way to wake up,” she smiled, her arms around me.

“Yeah, it’s alright,” I played and we showered together. We finally decided to get out to get our day started and got out of the shower to get ready.

“I don’t know if I have blueberries, I think we finished them up when you made smoothies last week.” Nick said looking into his refrigerator.

“Oh, well, that’s okay. We had a huge thing of them though,” Ella said as she mixed the buckwheat batter.

“I was kidding,” I placed the quart on the counter and pulled the OJ out also.

“Aren’t we funny this morning,” she threw a blueberry at me and I caught it.

“I think so. You want some orange juice?”

“Just a little please,” she began to pour batter on the skillet. My phone started ringing and I picked it up from the counter.

“Hell-O,” I said into it.

“Nick its Brian.”

“I don’t know any Brian’s sorry,” I snickered and Ella shook her head.

“Nick we need to meet today.”

“What? It’s our day off.”

“Fatima has to leave tonight, family emergency. It’s going to be our last practice with her until the tour.”

“Oh. Alright, when?” I asked looking at Ella who was now looking at me for answers. “Alright I understand. Later.” I hung up the phone and walked over to Ella who was now back to flipping the pancakes. I wrapped my arms around her waist.

“Baby,” I said.

“When do you have to go?”

“Now.”

“You can’t even stay to have breakfast?”

“Sorry, I have to go get some gym clothes on. I’ll make it up to you,” I pecked her cheek and took off upstairs. I threw on a pair of basketball shorts and a white tee shirt and sneakers. I bounded down the stairs and back into the kitchen.

“Here,” Ella handed me two large pancakes wrapped in paper towel, my water bottle and glass of OJ.

“You’re the best,” I said kissing her lips.

“Yeah yeah. Have fun,” she said.

“I’ll call you later when I know I’m coming home.”
“Okay. Love you,” she pulled a smile and stated doing dishes. I knew then she wouldn’t be eating but wasn’t going to get into it then.

Ella sighed as she finished the dishes, put the left over pancakes in a Glade tuperwear and limped over to her cell phone.

“Sammy?” She asked into it when Sam answered.

“Be over in a bit, Alex just took off too.”

“Okay,” she hung up the phone and made her way into the living room with a glass of orange juice. She plopped down on the leather sofa and flipped on the television.

“It’s his job, you’ll be with him during tour; don’t be mad. Be understanding.” She talked to herself flipping through the channels. She landed on Good Morning America and sipped the juice. Ten minutes later, Sammy came through the side door and sat next to her.

“It’s okay to be mad,” she said.

“I’m not mad, just disappointed.”

“Yeah.”

“You and A.J. getting serious?”

“I don’t know yet, we’re having fun.”

“That’s good.”

“You and Nick have any fights lately?”

“Nope, we’ve had a lot of sex.”

“Even better, that-a girl,” she patted my leg. “So what do you want to do today?”

“I don’t know, I need to do some therapy on my ankles.”

“Here or at the therapy place?”

“Here, I was there yesterday.”

“Okay, well do that and go shopping.”

“Eh, I don’t know.”

“Ella, come on get something sexy for Nick.”

“Maybe,” she shrugged.

“What do you have to do for therapy?”

“Use this thera-band thing, some toe-raisers; not a lot.”

“Well, get to it. Hey you have any food? I didn’t get a chance for breakfast?”

“Yeah, pancakes just made in the fridge; help yourself.” Ella told her as she got on the floor and began to do her exercises.

An hour later the two girls were on their way to the mall.

“It’s been forever since you and had a real girl’s day.” Sammy said driving her Jetta.

“I know, I’m sorry.”

“Don’t apologize. Things have been crazy and even before everything I wasn’t allowed to hang around you and I quote because ‘I was a bad influence.” Sammy laughed.

“Well, you are,” Ella laughed with Sammy.

“So, you’re really going to go on this tour with them?”

“Yeah. I think it will be good for me to get out of here for a while.”

“I agree, I’m just going to miss you.”

“You and A.J. not going to try things out?”

“We’ll see what happens, but I can’t leave the hospital.”

“I know. See at least I never had like a real job.”

“Keep up with your dance stuff, you’ll get there.”

“Maybe, but for now, I am concentrating on what’s really making me happy right now.” Ella smiled.

“And would that be a certain blondie?”

“Perhaps…”

“I’m happy for you. And I’m impressed with him.”

“How so?”

“You’ve given the poor guy a run for his money. He’s had to be the Superhero twenty-four-seven with you.”

“True. I know I want to do something special for him.”

“Well, we’ll hit up Ms. Secrets’ store, get you two some good wine and dessert.”

“I’m not one much for romantic stuff.”

“I know that’s why I’m here to help.” Sammy winked.