- Text Size +
Okay, so where did I leave off? Oh, right I was about to go into the café to check on my dream girl. The girl that I wouldn’t learn until much later, just how much of a pain in the ass she really would be. So, there I was, debating about going in, I don’t know why I felt nervous. Perhaps part of me was nervous to see if she was still there standing on her two feet and alive. The other, afraid she’d think I was just a complete ass for running her over, okay almost running her over.
I opened the door, a tiny bell above rang and I stepped inside the small café. I’d never been there before and laughed at myself lightly how I’d live in Tampa for years before moving to LA and still was learning.
I looked around and the long legged girl I had been looking for was standing on her two feet and alive. I breathed a sigh of relief. “Is it just you today sir?” Another female’s voice broke my thoughts.
“Uh-yeah. Just me. Would it be alright if I sat over on that side?” My eyes looked over to the girl.
“Ahh, I see. A friend of Ella’s?” The woman asked carrying a menu and walking over to a table by the window.
“We just sort of bumped into each other today,” I shrugged and sat down.
“Well, enjoy your meal.” She smiled and walked away. I opened the menu and began looking it over.
“Can I get you something to drink while you decide?” Her voice, Ella’s, made my head snap up.
“I-um-”
“What are you doing here?” She asked surprised.
“I was hungry?” I told her. She put her hand on her hip and raised an eye brow.
“And I wanted to make sure you were really alright. I feel horrible for earlier today. I should’ve been more careful.”
“As should I. I’m the one who just ran across not looking.”
“I’m glad you’re alright,” I smiled her.
“It’s nice of you to check up on me. Your lunch is on me today,” she winked.
“Not necessary. I’ll have a diet coke and chicken Caesar salad.”
“I’ll get that right in,” she took the menu and bounded off. I couldn’t help but watch her move from table to table and was impressed at how fast she was able to deliver the food to the tables with one arm.
“Here is your coke and your salad should be out in a couple minutes. Anything else?”
“No, not yet. By the way I’m Nick, I held out my hand and Ella held out her left hand.”
“Ella,” she smiled.
“Beautiful name,” I told her and she took her hand back.
“Thanks. I’ll go check on your order.” I watched her turn around and before she reached the kitchen a guy walked up to her. He wore a business suite and put both hands on her shoulders and pressed his lips to hers.
I noticed she didn’t return the gesture and looked almost annoyed. “What are you doing here?” She asked trying to walk away.
“I came to see my girl at work. I’ll have a burger and coke.” He slapped her ass and she rolled her eyes and walked away. The guy took the imitative to sit down at the counter, across from where I was. So she had a boyfriend, or an annoying ex. Either way, I wasn’t too worried. A couple minutes later Ella brought my salad out in front of me and I thanked her. She pulled a half smile and I noticed how fast her mood had changed. She asked if I needed anything else and again, I said “no, not right now,” I tried to sound mischievous.
She walked away and went to another table to clear some plates. After returning from the kitchen the guy, let’s call him douche bag, took her by the elbow of her casted arm. I saw her flinch and it took everything in me not to stand up and walk over to the guy right then and there and find out what his problem was.
“Stop flirting with that guy over there every time you go to his table. I think you should have Jean take his table. I don’t like the way he looks at you.”
“Please Anthony,” she rolled her eyes. “Stop being ridiculous, he’s a customer.”
“I don’t care.”
“Why did you come all the way down here again to eat? To check up on me?”
“I love you, you know I miss you after not seeing you for a few hours. By the way, I’ll be late for dinner tonight. I have a meeting at five. Have your lunch break right now.”
“I can’t, I have tables.”
“Have someone take over them.”
“You know I need the money.”
“No you don’t, I provide you with everything. I don’t get why you keep this silly job.”
“Because you won’t pay for my dance school I’m trying to get in.”
I tried my best to keep my eyes on my now almost finished salad; but it really was like watching a train crash or whatever the saying is. She disappeared and came back with ‘douche bags’ burger and set it in front of him.
“Come on sunshine, order a lunch.”
“How about I just take a bite of yours.”
“You’re not putting this into that perfect body of yours. You know my metab is ten times faster than yours. Order your pretty little self a salad with dressing on the side.”
“How about I go back to work as should you.” She walked away, anger on her face and saw her speak to another waitress. From what I got out of it was that she was able to get another couple of tables to stay even busier. I finished my salad and was now pretending to look through my phone like was texting someone or looking busy.
“I’m so sorry it’s taken me forever to get back here. Can I get you anything else today?”
“Nope, just the check please.” I smiled as sincere as I could be.
“Alright here you are, I can take that up whenever you’re ready.” She put the check down and I read that there was a balance of zero dollars. I looked up at her with question.
“I told you I wasn’t charging you today.”
“You have a pen?” I asked. She looked at me funny and handed me it. I wrote down my name, Nick Carter and my phone number.
“Nick I have a boyfriend, as you can see he stopped over to see me today.”
“I see, but looks like you could use a friend and from the looks of it, I’m sorry to butt in but you can do better.”
“And what, date a rock star like you?” She had a playful smile on her face.
“You knew?”
“I’m not dense. And besides, we’ve been together for three years now, we’re good together…” Her voice trialed off.
“Right. Well, call me anytime you feel like you may need to be ran over again.”
“I may just do that,” she mumbled.
“I’m sorry?” I asked, hoping I miss understood the tone of her voice. It sounded as though she tried to jump in front my car the first time.
“We’ll see Backstreet Boy. Have a nice day, don’t go hitting anyone else.” She shoved the receipt into her pocket and took my empty salad plate. I pulled out my wallet and threw a twenty on the table and got up. As I walked down the café I felt ‘douche bags’ eyes burn a hole through me. I smiled and nodded my head towards him, just to piss him off.
“Have a nice day Ella,” I said in spite and walked out the door.
I left things there for a while, hoping that Ella would take the chance and call me. So maybe I have given my number to girls with boyfriends before and maybe they have always called me even if they did have one but the fact she didn’t call me told me she was different. This only turned me on for her more and I wanted to get to know her in every way.
“Give it up Carter, she’s not into you. You made your move; the girl has a boyfriend move on.” A.J. told me as we listened to some tracks that were given to us to start planning for our new album.
It had been two weeks since the day I ran into the girl of my dreams literally. Why do I keep saying girl of my dreams when I don’t even know her? I’m not sure. You’d think the bit of the attitude she has, the loner look, the black nail polish, she’d be A.J.’s dream woman.
“Let’s get lunch,” I said with an idea popping in my head.
“Yeah, I’m getting hungry. Where do you want to go? Applebee’s, Olive Garden?”
“I have a better place,” I said with a smirk and we stood up to go out to the cars. I drove A.J. and I down Main Street Tampa and parallel parked my car in front of “Café a La Mode.”
“What’s this? I said I was hungry, not wanting coffee.”
“Relax Jay. They have sandwiches, soups, salads and burgers.”
“Alright,” A.J. agreed and climbed out of my Jaguar. I hit the lock button and we walked in. The little bell danced over our heads as the door opened and closed and a long legged, blonde haired, black nail polished woman appeared before us.
“Hi welcome to-oh, Hi,” she smiled and picked up two menus. “Right this way,” she turned and A.J. looked at me with question and we followed Ella to the back.