- Text Size +
Ch.3
“What can I get you two Backstreet Boys for drinks today?” She asked.
“I’ll have a diet coke.” I told her.
“Iced tea please,” A.J.’s raspy voice told her and Ella walked away. “Is that her?” He asked picking up on everything.
“That’s her Jay.” I sighed.
“She’s hot.”
“I know.”
“She doesn’t seem your type. She’s rough Nick.”
“Yeah, but there’s just something about her.”
“Here you guys are, need a few more minutes to look over the menu?” Ella asked. Her hair was pulled up messy again; she wore an argyle black and gray tank top and a pair of black jeans with her converse shoes.
“No more cast?” I asked her, pointing out the obvious.
“No more cast.” She held out her arm. “I heel fast.”
“Ella, this is Alex, or you know him as A.J.”
“Nice to meet you Backstreet Boy number two. When do I get to meet the rest of ya’ll,” she winked.
“Eh,” I shrugged.
“So what can I get you two?”
“I’ll have the tuna on rye.”
“And for you Alex?”
“A cheese burger, no mayo.”
“Got it.” She smiled and walked off to the kitchen.
“I don’t get it; she seems to be into you.”
“Boyfriend though.”
“Hasn’t stopped you before.”
“Why do you think I’m here?” I asked. We continued to make small talk, mostly about the upcoming album. Which songs we liked, which ones we hated and how we wanted to put more of our own stuff in.
“Speaking of her boyfriend,” I jolted my chin up quick and took a bite of the sandwich Ella brought just a minute before.
“He’s here?”
“I think he comes every day.” I pointed out. Giving it a minute, A.J. turned a little in his chair and looked for ‘douche bag.’
“Business guy.” A.J. said looking back at me and putting ketchup on his fries.
“Yeah. Doesn’t quiet seem to fit huh?”
“Not at all. Then again, you dated Paris.” A.J. joked and I shot him a look.
“How are we doing guys, need anything else?”
“No, I think we’re all set thanks,” I told her.
“Okay, would you like your check then?”
“Sure,” Alex said and Ella tore off a slip from her pad and put it on the table.
“Take your time,” her voice was flatter and she walked away briskly.
“Same thing happened last time,” I told A.J. and took out my wallet. I took out two twenties; the bill was fifteen-thirty two.
“You think it’s because of suit?”
“Yeah.” I put the twenties down on top of the bill. A minute later Ella came back.
“I’ll get you change.”
“We’re all set, but you have a pen?” I asked trying to keep from smiling.
“Yeah,” she shook her head knowing and handed me a pen. I wrote my name and number on the bill and handed her back the pen.
“Keep your head up will you, you’re much prettier when you show confidence.” I winked and stood up from the table.
“Nice to meet you,” A.J. told her and we walked away before Ella did. I made point to make eye contact with ‘douche bag.’ We got into my car and I let out a sigh, starting the car.
“Nick I’d be careful, this looks like a touch relationship.”
“I can’t let this one go though. I feel drawn.” As I was about to put the car into gear I jumped when I heard a bang on my window. I was surprised when I saw ‘douche bag’s’ fists pounding. I rolled down my window.
“Can I help you?” I asked annoyed that he touched my car the way he did. He then tossed a crumpled piece of paper at me.
“Stay away from her! You’ve been warned.” He slammed his hands on the car again and walked back inside. It was the receipt from lunch, with my number on it.
“You’re not going to listen are you?” Alex asked.
“I feel too involved.”
I kept my window down and put my car into gear and pulled away. “That guys could seriously mess you up. I don’t care how much you work out these days. He’s huge.”
“I don’t care.”
“Nick stay away for a while.”
“For a little bit.”
We went back to my place for a little bit, listened to a few more tracks and when A.J. left all I could do was think about Ella. I mean what did I know about this girl? She liked Emo style I suppose, but she made it her own so it worked. She waitressed, but had this smart wit about her and was saving up for a dance school, did he hear correctly? She dated a complete ass hole and was the car incident an accident? It was on my part completely but on Ella’s? Something didn’t settle right. I got up and decided to go for a run. I changed into a gray tee shirt, a pair of North Carolina basket ball shorts and tied up my New Balance sneakers. I took my phone, keys and a water bottle from the fridge.
I headed out of the gated area and away from the large neighborhood but safe and headed toward Main Street. It was a little after five o’clock and I assumed since Ella served lunch time, I didn’t think she would be working another shift. But come on, doesn’t mean I shouldn’t look for myself. I made the mile run in seven minutes, yes seven. These days I’m in amazing shape and have my life in order finally. I really should walk this way more; such a waste of gas honestly.
I went to the cross walk to make sure there wouldn’t be any more re-occurrences of a couple weeks ago. I pressed the cross walk button and waited for the white person to light up. I looked both ways when it flashed and then jogged across.
It took me a lot less time to get to the café than planned. I was more shocked when Ella walked out of the café. I picked up my jogging pace and continued to go forward, pretending I didn’t see her.
“Nick?” I heard my voice and was thankful I didn’t have my Ipod in. How would I explain that one? I have super human hearing powers? I turned around, looked around and then finally met my eyes on Ella.
“Ella? Hey there, what a surprise.” I jogged back toward her.
“What are you doing, stalking me?”
“Maybe, that and running.” I smiled
“I see.” She didn’t believe it, yet this girl didn’t seem to have a problem with it.
“You just get done with work or on a break?”
“Getting out earlier than planned.”
“Oh?” I asked and noticed a bruise on her right cheek that was not there when I came earlier that afternoon. “Care to go for a walk?”
“I should really head home.” She glanced at her watch.
“Just down and around the pier over there,” I told her.
“Alright,” she sighed, and slung her bag over her shoulder.
“Good day at work?” I asked making small talk.
“It was alright, typical day. Dealt with rude customers, bossy customers, famous boy band customers,” she grinned not making eye contact.
“Yeah but at least the boy band customers weren’t rude or bossy.”
“No not at all. Kinda sweet and cute,” she put her hands into her pockets as she walked. We rounded the corner and walked up the pier that over looked the bay.
“I’m sorry if I got you in trouble with your boyfriend today.”
“Don’t be, he’s just over obsessive with me.” Her voice didn’t seem to be joking as we leaned against the railing and over looked the water. “So tell me Nick, what keeps bringing you back to me?”
“You’re just an intriguing girl.”
“I need more.”
“I almost ran you over and you walked away without a care.”
“I’ve had worse happen, I’m was fine.”
“Worse happen?”
“How about we stick to you. You’re more interesting.”
“Okay,” I didn’t want to press things. “What do you want to know?”
“You live around here?”
“About two miles away.”
“You still a band?”
“We just finished a European tour, going to be starting our next album soon.”
“No girlfriend?”
“Not yet,” I playfully nudged her.
“You don’t give up.”
“Not for what I believe in.”
“And what is that?”
“I believe we were meant to find each other for some reason.”
“Because you ran into me?”
“Yes. Anything else?”
“Hmm, no not yet.”
“My turn. You want to be a dancer?”
“I am a dancer, I just want to be more professional with it.”
“So why don’t you?”
“Because my boyfriend doesn’t agree I should be a dancer. He says I may as well be a stripper.” I was taken back at her words, they were sharp and full of hurt.
“What kind of dancing do you do?”
“Ballet, lyrical and hip hop.”
“I don’t hear the words pole, chair or lap in those.” I said as a matter-of-fact. Ella laughed a little and it felt good to make her laugh. I had this feeling that she didn’t get to laugh much.
“It’s just a dream, but Anthony makes enough to support me and he’s constantly telling me to quit the café that I’m wasting my time. Which I probably am since even if I do save up enough money to do something with my dancing; I won’t be allowed.”
“I don’t mean to offend you but you don’t seem like the type of girl who puts up with bullshit or listens to what other people think or say.”
“I don’t but-”
“But what Ella?” I found myself inching closer to her.
“I’m sorry Nick. You seem really nice but I have to go. You probably shouldn’t come around the café any more while I’m working.”
“Ella wait,” I grabbed her arm and she flinched with fear. I pulled my hand back. “You don’t have to be with him. I’m not saying you have to be with me, but you deserve so much better.” Her eyes looked up from her feet up to my eyes.
“You don’t understand. I’m pretty much sworn to Anthony. Don’t waste your time with me.”
“I’m not, I want to help you.”
“You can’t. I’m fine, things get rough time to time but I love him and he does love me.”
“So we can’t be friends?”
“Good bye Nick.” She turned and briskly walked away and got into a cab. I felt more confused and upset over the situation than before I left for the run. Like I said before, I was involved now and there was no going back.