- Text Size +
“How’s the dream girl catch coming along Nicky?” Brian asked me over the phone.

“I don’t want to catch her Brian.”

“I know you want to help her. But like A.J. told you, it’s best to stay away. It sounds like things between her and her boyfriend are complicated. It’s not your place.”

“Why did she open up to me about how he felt about her dancing and him being obsessive with her?”

“You were there at the right time, you were just an ear.”

“I don’t believe it.”

“Well, make sure you’re taking care of yourself there. We’re going to the Bahamas do some writing and picking out songs in a month!”

“I know, I’m stoked. Alright B, I’m going to go grocery shopping. I’ll talk to you later.”

“Later Nick.” I hung up the phone and got up from my bed. I had been rather lazy the last couple of days, catching up on my game playing and some TV show’s. I ordered pizza last night, and felt guilty considering how healthy I had been eating and taking care of my body.

I went down into my kitchen and looked through my fridge and the cupboards; taking note of what I may need. “Pretty much everything Carter,” I said out loud to myself and grabbed my keys off the counter. I went out to the garage, hopped into my car and opened the garage door. I drove down to the nearest Publix and parked my car the furthest away I thought was necessary. Yes, I am one of those guys.

I got out of my car, hit my lock button like always and walked inside. It wasn’t too busy, considering it was a Wednesday. Most people tended to do their shopping on Sunday’s and Monday’s. I took a shopping cart and began pushing it. I picked up some fresh fruit and fixings to make salads and rounded the corner to where the breads were. Whole grains and wheat. No more white bread for this guy…unless it’s pasta with Italian bread. A weakness. I sound like a girl, I know but hey you get one body, better take care of it.

I tossed the bread into my basket, ever so carefully, alright more like a basket ball. I then pushed my cart around to the next isle when I slammed into something. “Sorry,” I muttered and looked up to see what soccer Mom I ran into with my cart.

“We have to stop meeting like this,” Ella’s voice laughed.

“Hey!” I said way too perky. “Sorry, wasn’t watching where I was going.”

“Typical.”

“Come on, not fair.”

“You’re right, this was a mutual one. How are you Nick?”

“Great, just shopping for some food since I’m all out. I see you’re doing the same.”

“Yup, ever Wednesday like clock work. My day off, I get up, run, dance, clean, grocery shop, make dinner and that’s my day.”

“Healthy eater I see.”

“Well, for dance and for Anthony, I mean he likes me healthy, er, he likes to eat healthy.” She tried to cover up what she really meant but I knew how Anthony felt about her eating unhealthy. I wondered if he expected to look great all the time. Which, honestly, I don’t know if it’s possible for her not to look great all the time.

“Where do you dance and run?”

“I run to dance since I don’t have a car. Great cardio warm up and I go to this small studio about three miles away from my house. It’s for kids but during the day Wednesday’s there aren’t classes. I just practice by myself.”

“Anna Maria’s Dance studio?”

“Yeah, you know of it?”

“Smallest dance studio I know. Most of them are larger ones. Anna Maria actually taught us before Fatima came into the picture.”

“Wow, that must’ve been a while ago. It’s owned by her daughter Marie now, Anna passed away two summers ago.”

“That’s too bad.” I made a mental note to tell the fellas the news later. “So no car?”

“Nope, Anthony has one, he says I should just stay home and when we’re married be a stay at home Mom and then I can get the soccer Mom van or SUV.” She rolled her eyes and pushed the cart.

“Let me give you a lift with your groceries so you don’t have to catch a cab then.”

“Thank you that won’t be necessary.”

“Let me please. Finish your shopping, I’ll meet you up front in fifteen-twenty minutes?”

“Well, alright thank you. Yeah I don’t need more than twenty minutes. Got here about five minutes before running into you.”

“See YOU ran into me this time.”I smirked and pushed my cart off to get some cereal.

Within fifteen minutes, I completed my shopping, perhaps the fastest I’ve ever done. Maybe it was because I was a little excited to spend more time with Ella. I went through the cashier line, dumped my groceries the fastest as possible out and then waited at the front. Two minutes later, Ella pushed her bagged groceries and smiled.

She was wearing a pair of black yoga pants, that fitted her curves ever so nicely and a low cut army looking tank top and a pair of black flip flops.

“Ready?” She asked.

“Yes Ma’m.” I guided her out to my car and she let out a low whistle.

“No wonder my boyfriend hates you, you’re car is hotter than his Mustang.”

“It gets me from A to B,” I opened the trunk and put my groceries on one side and loaded Ella’s in on the other. We pushed our carts to the cart home or whatever it is they sit under and we got into the car.

“So where is home?”

“Head back towards Main and you’ll be a right at second light.”

“Cool.” I said starting the car. “How’d you get that bruise on your cheek?” I asked looking straight ahead on the road.

Her hand covered her cheek and she thought about what to say. “Come on Nick, from what you know of me so far, you know I’m an accident waiting to happen.”

“Right,” I said not believing her.

“How is your vacation going?”

“Pretty good, getting some stuff done around the house, hanging with some friends I haven’t seen in a while. I think this weekend I’m going to have a pool party, would you like to come? You can bring dou-Anthony with you if you’d like,” that was a close one Carter.

“That sounds like fun; Anthony is going away on a business trip to California. He fly’s there like every other weekend if not more. I’ll check my work schedule.”

“Perfect. Jay will be there as will Howie probably. Bring any friends you want.”

“I have this one girlfriend, not many friends around here. Home is in North Carolina,” she sounded almost sad as she mentioned it.

“Well, is this one girlfriend single and as hot as you?”

“Yes and no.”

“Good answer.” I replied as I hit Main Street. Ella directed me to where her house was, she was in a nice neighborhood and was surprised at the fact she didn’t have many friends considering how close houses were. They were decent sized homes, three stories high. I pulled into the drive way, killed the engine and popped the trunk. Ella climbed out and went to unlock her front door and I began unloading the trunk. I was able to get six of her ten bags; she went and gathered the rest. I followed inside her immaculate home and into the kitchen.

“Beautiful house,” I told her.

“Thanks,” her voice was flat and held no interest on the matter. “Just put those on the counter, thanks.” She put her own bags down on another counter and walked over to the answering machine. She hit the play button and leaned against the counter.

“Ella, I’m going to be home late tonight. Make yourself something light to eat tonight and I’ll see you in the morning. I love you. End of messages.”

“So one less thing you have to do on your day off,” I told her trying to look at the positive.

“Yeah, it’s usually once a week he has to stay late at the office and the weekends he’s gone.”

“Would you care for some company for a while?”

“Won’t your groceries get funny in your car?” Damn didn’t think of that, I did buy milk and yogurt and eggs.

“I can come back.”

“Alright, I’ll make us dinner. You like fish?”

“Love it. I’ll be back in an hour?”

“Sounds good.” I nodded and turned back the way I came and went back to my car. I got in and like an excited school boy I drove home faster than I should’ve.

“It’s not a date Carter. She’s living with her boyfriend of three years…three years of hell most likely.” I said out loud to myself. Once home, I opened the garage and quickly emptied my bags. I bought enough for a little over a week. I learned that if you go grocery shopping every five days or so or more than you’re more likely to buy fresh produce and stuff.

I ran up stairs, checked my hair, spitzed my cologne on, checked my arms for odor and brushed my teeth one more time. “It’s not a date,” I said again. “But it could be.” I bounded back down the stairs and into my car. Like I had promised, I was back at her house in an hour.
~*~*~*~
“Dinner was great, let me help you with the dishes.” I said getting up, I took her plate and mine and walked into the kitchen.

“You’re the guest you don’t have to.”

“Please, look’s like you do enough around this house. I can do some dishes.” I washed them by hand and Ella dried them off. We placed left over’s into a plastic container and into the fridge.

“I’d offer dessert but I don’t eat it so I don’t have anything. Would you like a beer or anything?”

“Let’s go,” I took her hand and headed for the door.

“Where are we going Nick?” She asked.

“Grab your house key and let’s go.” She reached for the counter where her keys were and followed me outside. I began walking down the drive way and skipped to catch up.

“You’re being weird.”

“No, you’re the weird one for not eating dessert. Do you not like it?”

“No I have a pretty strong sweet tooth.”

“Well, okay then.” We went down a block and made it back to Main street. I took us to Scoops and stopped to look at the selections.

“Ice cream?”

“You don’t like ice cream?”

“I do, probably biggest weakness of mine.”

“What other weaknesses do you have?”

“Hmm, beaches and thunderstorms, but not together all the time.” I cocked an eye brow and looked at her. “What kind of ice cream are you getting?” She asked me.

“I think I’ll go for the cookie dough tonight, and yourself?”

“Hmm, I should just get a sorbet. No fat and less calories.”

“What’s your favorite kind of ice cream.”

“Ben and Jerry’s Phish Food, but since they don’t have that then muddy sneakers.”

“I’ll take two small ice cream cones, one muddy sneakers and one, cookie dough, please,” I told the teenager and handed her a ten.

“Nick, you should’ve gotten a kiddie size for me!” Her voice was exasperated.

“Please, indulge yourself.” I was handed the cone and I handed it to Ella.

“Thanks,” she said sheepishly. I got my change and took my cone and we made our way to a bench. “I’m going to have to make sure I work out for an extra hour tomorrow.”

“As opposed to how many hours?”

“Two.”

“Do you mind me telling you something?”

“No,” she took a small bite of her ice cream. “I’ve kept you around for as long as I have despite how personal you keep getting.” That was a true statement.

“Why do you worry about your weight so much? You’re beautiful and in amazing shape. Girls would kill for your body.”

“Partly because of dance…” She licked her cone slowly. Maybe this wasn’t the best time for this subject, who knows the girl could have an eating disorder for all I knew.

“And the other part?”

“I don’t want you thinking I’m any less of a person or can’t be my own mind.”

“I wouldn’t ever. I’m still getting to know you.”

“Exactly.”

“Ella, tell me.”

“To stay the way I was when Anthony and I first met. He fell for me when I was in my best top shape and I’m determined to keep it that way so he doesn’t fall out of love for me.”

I thought for a moment, it made sense, there seemed to be more to it than she was leading on but I wouldn’t push for any more. I nodded my head and licked the outside of my ice cream.

“You’re not going to say anything more?” She asked almost challenging me.

“Nope. Want a bite?” I put my cone in front of her face. She looked at me as though was going to say something but then took a bite; and pushed her cone in front of my face. I took a bite from the top and had to admit it was pretty good ice cream.

“Why doesn’t a famous singer like yourself have a girlfriend?”

“You forgot good looking in there.” I added with a cocky grin. “Haven’t met the right person. I bounced from girl to girl and wasn’t taking care of myself. A lot of partying, drinking, drugs…I was pretty much killing myself. I finally put myself first and took the initiative to get myself back into shape.”

“Good for you.”

“Yeah, it was a lot more than just physically though,” I looked at her trying to make a point. “A lot was emotional.”

“Hmm,” she nodded staring out into space. I noted that her hair was down; it hung right below her chin. She really did have striking features, a great jaw line, dimples that wanted to show off her kid side she seemed to hide.

“Why are you with him if he doesn’t make you happy Ella?” I kept my voice a sincere as possible. She sucked in a sharp breath, held it for what seemed forever and let it out slowly. I watched her chest rise and sink a little faster with each breath; almost as though we were nervous.

“I have no one else and I do love him…”

“What do you mean you have no one else?” I didn’t hesitate the question, it felt right to ask.

“My parents are dead, my brother is dead, my aunt that took care of after my parents died is in a nursing home and may as well as be dead. She has Alzheimer’s. Like I said before my friends are in North Carolina.” ‘Careful Nick, touchy subject, don’t scare her off,’ I told myself.

“How does Anthony fit into all that Ella?”

“He was my brother’s best friend…they grew up together, they went into the army together, they went to Iraq together…” She paused for a moment. “Anthony came home without Cameron.” Her voice was angry, her eyes seemed to become a brighter blue as they filled with pools of tears. She blinked her eyes a bunch of times and the tears were gone.

“I’m sorry about your family Ella. You feel like you owe your brother?” She nodded her head and she looked down at her ice cream. I knew she lost her appetite five minutes ago and I took it carefully from her hands. I threw our cones away, and put my hand on the small of her back. “Let’s head home?”

“Yeah.” She responded and I was afraid to speak. Of course I had more questions and I honestly hadn’t been expecting her to let me in as much as she did this evening. We walked home in silence but it wasn’t an awkward silence. It was very comfortable and we enjoyed each other’s presences; letting the quiet give us room to think. When I walked her up to her door we stopped at the front light, as if we were on a date from high school.

“Ella, if you ever just want to talk or get away, I’d like to be a friend.” I pulled her in for a hug and I felt her body tense up at first but then gave in after a few seconds. Her arms squeezed me tighter and it seemed as though she didn’t want to let go. “You want me to give you my number again since how someone threw it back to me?”

“I have it.” She told me with a smile and I looked at her with a funny expression. “From the first day we met, you wrote it on your receipt. It’s in my cell.”

“Alright good. Well, if I don’t hear from you for the rest of the week, have a good one and I’ll see you this Saturday!”

“Thank you Nick.”

“You’re welcome Ella.” I smiled and turned around to get into my car. The sun was almost set and I felt as though I had a small skip to my walk as I got into my car. I waved goodbye one more time and pulled out.
‘Brian and Jay are right,’ I said out loud to myself. ‘She’s a mess Carter but so undeniable. Could it be fate?’

Realizing I was talking to myself again, I turned my radio up and tried to concentrate on Britney Spears song, “Circus” that was way over played considering it came out in what January? But no, the long legged, blonde hair, blue eyed, guarded soul and locked up heart dream girl, stays imprinted in my mind.
‘What are you doing to do Carter, what can you do?'