- Text Size +
“Relax Nick, if she said she was coming she’s coming,” Howie told me taking a swig from his Bud Light Lime.

“I haven’t spoken to her since Wednesday.”

“If she does come what are you going to do? It’s not like you can get with her.”

“I don’t want to get with her man. I actually want to be friends with her.” It was at that moment my phone vibrated in my pocket and I took it out. It was from a number I didn’t know and I answered it.

“Hello?” I answered.

“Hey Nick its Ella.”

“HEY!” Too desperate, relax Carter. “What’s going on?” I asked. Good much more casual.

“I was wondering if you’re still having that party today?”

“Yeah, I have a few here now. You still want to come over?”

“Yeah, I’m with my girlfriend Sammy.”

“Excellent, bring her a long.”

“Okay how do I get to your place?” Our conversation ended with me giving her directions and her telling me she’d be over in a while. I hung up with a smile glued to my face.

“I take that stupid grin on your face as a sign someone is coming?” A.J. asked.

“She is.”

“Nice.”

“I’m going to go and um, yeah I’ll be back.” I took off into my house to change my shirt. Who was I kidding; I was acting like a girl and even felt a little nervous to see her.

I finally settled on a blue collared shirt with my khaki shorts that covered my swim trunks.
I made sure the fridge was still stocked with beverages; beer, water and soda. I had snack bowls placed around the house and out on the patio by the pool and was going to cook up some burgers for later. I heard a buzz at the gated entrance and I went to the intercom. I pressed the open button and went to the front door to see who it was.

A red Toyota Corolla was parked on the side of the driveway and a brown haired short pixy like girl stepped out and Ella was in the passenger seat. It looked like she was on her phone and it was a minute before she got out. I watched as she threw her hand up in the air and she spoke into the phone. She did not look very happy. The minute she stepped out of the car though, it was as though she had never been on the phone.

Ella smiled brightly, her dimples driving me crazy as they always did. She tossed a large Tinker Bell beach bag over her shoulder and walked up to me. She sported a short white skirt and a pink and white camo tank top. A pair of white flip flops were on her feet and her hair was let down.

“Hey Nick!” She greeted with a bubbly smile. Something she didn’t show enough of. “This is Sammy. Sammy, Nick.”

“Nice to meet you,” I shook her hand.

“Likewise. Heard lots about you.” She winked and snapped her bubble gum.

“Hmm, that could be bad,” I stated eyeing Ella. “Come on everyone is out back,” I held my arm out to show which way and I followed.

“Beautiful home,” Ella told me looking up. “Why haven’t you been on MTV cribs?” She joked and we walked through the kitchen, out the sliding glass back door and to the patio.

“Well, they’ve asked but I turned them down. Not for this place, for my California home.”

“Ah, of course. The California home,” Sammy teased. “What were we thinking?” I had a feeling she was a spit fire and that we’d get a long just great. I kinda wished that Ella would be more relaxed; she always seemed to have her guard up.

We walked over to where Howie and his wife Leah were talking to Jay and my buddy John.

“Hey everyone, I’d like to introduce Ella and her friend Sammy. That’s Howie, his wife Leah, that there is A.J. or you can call him Alex or Jay and this is Johnny Boy.” Sammy shook hands with everyone and I saw as John reached his hand out to Ella she shuttered backwards.

“How about I get you two ladies a drink?” I asked to relieve any awkwardness.

“I’ll have a martini,” Sammy spoke up first.

“Ella?” I asked.

“Can I come with?” She bit her bottom lip and she seemed almost nervous.

“Of course,” I smiled and walked her into the kitchen to get the drinks.

“You alright?” I asked her as I watched her stare into space. She always seemed to have something on her mind.

“Hmm, yeah. Thanks for having me.”

“No problem. Did Anthony leave for the weekend?”

“Yeah, this morning…” Her voice trailed.

“What kind of drink would you like?” I held open the fridge.

“Bud light lime,” she spoke and I took two out, one for me and one for her. I think started mixing a martini for Sam. I was surprised at the long pull she took from the beer and impressed. She caught me staring and her cheeks flushed.

“Sorry, I never drink so when I do I tend to drink fast. I’ll be good, promise.”

“Hey you’re not driving, you can drink as much as you want,” I laughed and finished making the martini. We went back outside but not before grabbing a couple more beers. Sammy and Jay were in the pool together and a few of my other friends were around the radio talking. It was turning into a nice little party.

“Ella get your skinny butt in here, it’s awesome!” Sammy yelled and then Jay dunked her under. This could get interesting.

“Do you want to change into your suit?” I asked Ella.

“I have mine on.” She said finishing her beer. I took it from her, put it into a recycling bin and opened another for her. “Thanks.”

“Well, let’s go!” I took my shorts off, showing my white and blue Hawaiian print swim trunks.

“Umm-”

“Umm nothing."

I took my shirt off and she took another sip of her new beer and looked away hiding her smile. I then took her bottle from her, set it on a table and picked her up. She let out a small scream. “You have two choices. Choice one: you take your clothes off so you’re in your swim suit. Choice two: I throw you in like this.”

“Okay choice one! Put me down!” She laughed. I set her on the ground and she looked up at me hesitating. She first slipped off her skirt and then slowly pulled of her tank top; revealing a brown and white Roxy swimsuit.

I did my best to keep from staring but her legs looked even longer and as my eyes drew upward they stopped when they came to a purplish blue bruise just below her right ribs. A broken arm, a bruised cheek, now bruise on her ribs; I couldn’t help but wonder if Anthony had anything to do with these or if she were really that clumsy like she said she was.

“Ella,” I whispered to her. “What happened?” I gently traced my fingers over her soft skin and over the bruise. She flinched a little and again whispered, ’sorry.’

“Ran into the corner of a counter at work.” Her answer was quick, too quick?

“Ella, seriously?”

“Drop it Nick,” her voice was sharp and she made her way to the pool. She jumped in and as though the conversation never happen she as splashing around and playing with everyone else. I jumped in the pool making a big splash and ended up splashing a couple of girls that were sitting in lounge chairs.

We tossed around a beach ball back and forth trying to keep it from the water and goofed around for a while. A.J. declared he was hungry and we climbed out to start making dinner. Ella went inside to change into dry clothes and I started the grill up.

“She won’t admit to it.” Sammy’s voice came up to me and I looked at her trying to figure out what she was saying.

“Who won’t admit to what?” I asked confused.

“Ella. I know you were asking her about the bruise.”

“She said she ran into a counter.”

“Just like she fell over a pair of shoes at home and broke her wrist last month. If she fell, it would’ve been a compound fracture, not a spiral like someone pulled her.”

“Sam, do you know something?”

“I know she trusts you for some reason. She told me everything she’s talked to you about and it took me two years to get to know all of that. Ella acts tough; she puts on a front to protect herself. She’s fragile though, physically and mentally.”

“Has she told you she gets abused?”

“No. I’ve never seen it happen either but I’ve heard the verbal fights and how he puts her down. I guarantee you he’s not away on business. He’s away with another woman; but like she told you, she feels as though she owes it to her dead brother to be with this loser. Things have been getting worse though. I guess he flipped out when he found out you brought her home the other day from the grocery store.”

“Hey guys, brought you some beers!” Ella’s voice broke through and held three bottles. What were you two talking about?” She eyed Sam as she handed out the bottles.

“That you don’t eat burgers.” Sammy covered up.

“You don’t eat meat?”I asked taking a swig.

“Umm, I used to? Turkey burgers I eat.”

“You’re in luck, I have some!”

“I really shouldn’t, especially if I’m drinking,” she held up the bottle and I noticed her cheeks were flushed.

“You really should especially if you are drinking. What did you eat for lunch?”

“An apple.”

“Breakfast?”

“Yogurt.”

“I’ll be back with the burgers,” I told her and left the two.

“What were you telling him?” Ella asked Sam.

“Nothing, relax. Keep drinking; you’re more fun when you’re drunk. This will be my last one so enjoy yourself!” Sammy told her. “I’m going to go flirt with that sexy guy right over there,” she pointed over to A.J. and left Ella to herself.

When I came back out, she had both hands around the bottle and was looking around.

“Having fun?” I asked and tossed six burgers on the grill. “Hey D! Come cook before I burn them!” I yelled. A minute later Howie came over and took the flipper from me.

“Don’t let Nick cook you food, he’ll burnt them.”

“Just on the grill, I’m not very good at it yet. I just got it last year, but since I’m never home I never have practice.”

“Go ahead, I’ve got it Nick,” Howie winked at us. I know Howie wink, can you believe it?

“Thanks buddy,” I patted his back, took Ella’s hand into mine and almost shocked that she let me hold it, I guided us over to a couple of chairs. The sun was going down and the air was cooling off, but not much.

“So, having fun?” I asked again.

“I am. I can’t remember the last time I was able to just….” She searched for her words. “Have fun I guess,” she giggled. “I’m a total light weight, I’m sorry.” She laughed again and took another swig of her beer.

“Don’t apologize. Cheap date,” I wiggled my eyebrows. “I’m sorry for pressing things earlier, but I feel this need to protect you Ella. I worry about you and I know it’s crazy since we just met but it’s like I have this pull to you.” She looked down at her hands and spun the bottle in between them.

“I feel a need to let you protect me. I almost called you Wednesday night.”

“About what?”

“I just got into a fight with Anthony. He asked how I got home since I didn’t spend my cab money and I’m not one to lie so I told him. I didn’t tell him about dinner though. He ended up going out that night and got back home at like seven before he had to go to work the next day.”

“Ella, did he hit you?”

“Nick he really is a good guy. He’s lost a lot too you know? His best friend was killed right in front of him, my brother died in his arms and before Cameron passed, he told my brother to promise to marry me and take care of me.”

“Abusing you isn’t taking care of you Ella.”

“He doesn’t, he yells but he doesn’t hit me. I really am just clumsy.” I watched as her eyes looked back down at her drink and she took another long sip. She was lying but what could I say.

“You can call me whenever you need to Ella. Any time of the day or night.”

“Thanks Nick. I’m glad you ran into me,” she grinned. That brought up another question I had for her but didn’t want to bring it up yet.

A little while later, Howie had the burgers made and we were all sprawled out eating them. Ella sat next to me and was on her fifth or sixth beer of the day and was going on how she would love to dance for Madonna or Brittney Spears.

“Well, how about you try out for our next tour,” I told her and then reached my hand up to her face to wipe off some ketchup she had. I watched her flinch and back away, pushing my hand away hard.

“Don’t!” She yelled standing up.

“Hey, you have some ketchup on the corner of your lip I was going to get.” She brought her fingers to her mouth and rubbed the corner of her lips. She looked at her fingers and saw the ketchup.

“I-I’m sorry.” She set her plate down and walked away towards the house. Sammy looked at me trying to figure out what had happened. I quickly followed Ella and she had gone into the bathroom. I knocked on the door lightly.

“Ella, its Nick. Open up.”

“Just give me a minute,” her voice sounded shaky.

“Don’t hide from me. I’m sorry Ella.” I heard the door unlock but it didn’t open. I waited a couple more seconds and I turned the door knob slowly and pushed the door open. Ella was facing the mirror, her hands on the sink and her head down. I shut the door behind me and waited a minute before saying anything.

“You thought I was going to hit you?” I asked cautiously. She nodded her head and I heard her sniffle. I put my hands on her hips and gently spun her so she was facing me. I carefully put my thumb and forefinger on her chin and lifted her head up.

“I will NEVER hurt you, do you hear me?” My eyes stared into her tear full blue ones.

I could tell she was struggling to hold everything together, her bottom lip quivered and her breathing was deep and fast. I pulled her into my arms, her own arms wrapped around me and I heard her choke back a sob.

“Let it out, you don’t have to pretend with me.” I whispered. Her arms tightened around me and her face buried in my neck deeper. I felt my shirt get wet from her tears but I didn’t move. I kissed the top of her head and a few minutes later she pulled away and I handed her a tissue to dry her eyes.

“How do you do that?” She asked. I assumed she was referring to me getting her to open up.

“Just that good I guess.” I smiled.

“Thank you Nick.”

“Ella you need to leave him. He’s not good for you.”

“I-I can’t. I’ve tried before.”

“What happened?” I was almost afraid to know the answer.

“He threatened I’d be sorry…he got really drunk, took my car and totaled it. He was in a coma for a week, almost died. When he came to, he promised things would be better and they were for a while…”

“He needs help Ella and so do you.” She pulled away even further and he shook her head no.

“He’ll find me; he’ll guilt me into betraying my brother-”

“Your brother wouldn’t want you to live like this Ella! Look at you, afraid of people, covering bruises and making up lies. You want to dance and perform for people; I can see it in your eyes.” My hands were on her arms with a light grasp. She could easily break away and she knew it.

“I was not always this weak you know,” she blinked back more tears that threatened to fall.

“I don’t think you’re weak at all. I think you’re strong for what you’ve been through. But I think you need to realize that it is alright to let someone help. If not me then Sammy maybe.” My voice was much softer and I felt her body closer onto mine.

“I don’t want you to get hurt,” she told me, her eyes never leaving mine.

“I won’t get hurt. I want to keep you from getting hurt.” Alright so visualize this, the two of us in the bathroom like two girls. Except, my arms are now enclosed around her small frame, our faces inches away and eyes darting from eyes to lips. “Will you let me help you get out of this?”

“I have nowhere else to go.”

“Stay with me.”

“Nick I-”

“He doesn’t know where I live. We’ll pack your things tomorrow; he doesn’t get back till Sunday night right?”

“Yeah but-”

“But nothing. You can have your own room and everything until your back on your feet.”

“Why are you doing this?”

“I told you, I feel like I need to protect you. I’m drawn to you and until I know you’re safe, I won’t be able to sleep at night.” Our fingers intertwined.

“I’m drawn to you too Nick…” Her voice was a whisper and just before our faces met there was a knock on the door.

“Everything okay in there?” A.J.s raspy voice boomed.

“Yeah be right out!” I called and rolled my head back in annoyance. “Sorry,” I told her.

“It’s okay,” she smiled. “Let’s go back out. My buzz is killed and I need another drink.”

“Sounds perfect,” I kissed her cheek. “I promise, you’re going to be okay.”

“I know I will be,” she leaned into me and hugged me before we opened the door to go back out to the party.