- Text Size +
Nick’s Point Of View

I was in my car as soon as Ella told me to come get her. I sped through stop signs and lights, not caring if a cop car was going to pull me over. I actually hoped that one would and I’d keep driving to the bastards’ house. An eight minute drive turned to be a two minute one and I pulled into the drive way. There was no car to show that Anthony was around and I jumped out of the car, leaving it on and went to the front door.

I pushed it open and as I walked in; before I could call out Ella’s name, I saw her lying at the bottom of the stairs; in a pile.

“Ella, can you hear me?” I knelt down placing a hand on her shoulder. I heard her moan a little and struggle to open her eyes. “It’s me Ella, come on speak to me.”

“Nick?” She whispered.

“I’m going to get you some help. Don’t move.”

“NO!” Her voice came out hoarse and she tried to sit up. “Get me out of here now, he’s coming back.”

“Ella, I’ll call the cops and an ambulance.”

“No, get me out, I’m so scared Nick. Please.”

“Shh, alright. Is your back or neck in any pain? Did you fall the down the stairs or did he push you down here?”

“He pushed me down the stairs. I may have broken a rib; it’s hard to breathe. Get me out please,” she bagged and

I kissed her forehead and tried to re-assure her I’d take care of her. My heart pounded in my chest and if it wasn’t for her rapid breathing, I’m sure she would’ve been able to hear it. I knew I had to stay calm though, for the both of us. Although I was freaking out inside, I knew she had already started freaking out all together.

“You need to calm down baby girl; I’m going to get you out of here. Here we’re going to sit up slowly okay? No fast movements.” I helped her sit up slowly, her face wincing in pain and from my better judgment; I had her turn to face me. “Okay, we’re going to stand on the count of three, which side hurts?”

“My right. Nick I can’t stand, I think my ankles are broken.” I looked down at her legs and her flip flops had fallen off and from her toes up to her shins were already bruised and swollen. I put my arm underneath her legs and her left arm wrapped around my neck.

“I’ve got you now, you’re going to be okay.” I whispered in her ear and without shutting the front door I walked out to my car. I opened the passenger door and as gently as I could, I sat her down in the seat. “Do you want me to get you some ice?” I asked putting the seat belt across her chest.

“NO! We have to go, now, please Nick!!”

“Shh relax.” I shut her door and quickly ran over to my side and hopped in. I threw my car into first gear and sped out of the driveway. I kept glancing next to me to Ella and noticed her breathing was becoming even shallower. She was in a lot of pain but I didn’t know why she having a hard time breathing. I took my cell phone out and hit 9-1-1.

“Nine-one-one, what’s your emergency?” The operator asked on the other line.

“I just picked up my friend who was pushed down the stairs by an ex-boyfriend. She was afraid he was coming back so instead of calling an ambulance I am bringing her to Tampa General.”

“What’s her address?” The operator asked. I gave her the address of where Ella used to live and my name and number. “And her injuries so I can dis-batch the hospital Mr. Carter.”

“She hurt both ankles, possible breaks. They’re swollen pretty good and bruised already and she’s complaining of pain from her right side of her chest. She’s having hard time breathing and is really weak.”

“Okay sir, I have informed the hospital, they will have doctors out to meet you when you get there. I’m going to hang up the phone now so you can drive there safely. What is your time estimate of arrival?”

“Ten minutes.”

“Okay, thank you.”

I hung up the phone, and reached over for Ella’s hand. It was limp and I heard her wheezing next to me.

“They’re going to have a team of doctors ready for you when we arrive. We’re almost there.”

“I feel like I’m going to be sick,” she moaned and opened her window. Her face was pale and she wrapped her arm around her stomach. “Can you pull over?” She asked and without hesitation I did.

I got out on my side and ran over to her side and opened the door. She had already unbuckled her seat belt and was already leaning over. I held her shoulders for support and she began to vomit.

To my surprise, blood came out of her mouth. She hadn’t eaten since breakfast and kept choking. I reached into my glove box and found some napkins from Subway I had a while ago and pressed them to her lips to dry her mouth.
Tears ran down her cheeks that now held a little color but I assumed it was from trying to force herself sick. “I’m spinning,” she dropped her head down and I gently picked it up and lay it on the head rest. I then lifted the lever to lower her seat down so she was flat on her back.

I hurried back to my side and began speeding once again to the hospital…

~*~*~*

I paced back and forth in the waiting room, obviously waiting to hear something from these no nothing doctors and interns and nurses. A.J was on his way and he told me he would get a hold of Sammy. As soon as I had arrived at the emergency doors, two doctors had come out with a gurney and loaded Ella onto it. An oxygen mask was placed over her pale face and they rushed her inside.

A nurse had come to talk to me within ten minutes to let me know ‘the plan’ and I haven’t seen her in two hours.

“Nick,” Jay’s voice came behind me and pulled me in for a hug. “How is she?”

“Not great, she’s in surgery now. She broke a rib on the right side and it nicked her lung pretty good. They’re also fixing her left ankle with surgery and right one ankle has to be set and put into a removable boot/cast thing…” I sighed and sat down finally. As I spoke the words to Jay I realized just how serious this all was.

“Did the police get the asshole?”

“No not yet. They’re going to have to ask Ella questions when she come out of surgery but they may have to wait until tomorrow.” A.J. nodded and sat next to me.

“You’re a good guy for doing all of this, Nick.”

“If I were a good guy, I wouldn’t have agreed to let her see him one last time. I had a bad feeling and should’ve stuck with my instincts.”

“She’s alive because of you right now.”

“A.J. she’s a mess. She’s going to need more help than I’ll be able to give.”

“So, we’ll find her a good shrink to talk to. I’m sure the doctors here will have some sort of information for ya.”

“I guess.”

“You’re falling for her aren’t you Carter?”

“Falling? No. I fell.”

We waited in the hospital, made small talk to pass the time which seemed to be going ever so slow. I guess that’s the point of hospitals though. A.J. informed that he called Sammy and she was on her way from work which was about a forty-five minute drive from here.

“Nick Carter?”

“Yes.”

“Your fiancé is out of surgery,” a doctor told me walking up to the two of us. A.J. shot me a look and I ignored it.

“How is she? Can I see her?”

“She’s still sleeping with the heavy anesthetics we gave her. But we repaired the hole in her lung and set her rib the best we could. You usually have to let that heel on its own.”

“Her ankles?”

“Her left one was completely shattered. She has four pins in it right now and we will put a cast on it tomorrow as long as the swelling goes down. Her right one was a compound break and is in a removable cast. She won’t be walking for some time and will need to use a wheel chair.”

I nodded my head taking it all in, pretty much everything that I was told earlier so no new surprises and I suppose I should be happy for that.

“Thank you,” I said and shook her hand. She nodded and walked away.

“Damn,” A.J. let out a low whistle next to me. “So, fiancé huh?”

“They wouldn’t let me know anything if I weren’t related or significant other. What was I supposed to do?”

“How does it explain her boyfriend beating her up than?”

“I told the police the truth because they came and took my statement.”

“Relax I’m messing with ya! Maybe you should go home and get some rest.”

“I want to be here when she wakes up.”

“It could be a while from the sounds of it, they pumped her up with some serious knock out stuff.”

“I’m going to stay. You can head out if you want, thanks for coming.”

“Nonsense. Sammy is on her way,” A.J. wiggled his eye brows.

So that’s what we did, we waited and it was mostly in silence. Sammy showed up a half hour later and I expected her to be freaked out and crying like most females but she just shook her head and said “it was bound to happen.”

Those words, they pissed me off. I wasn’t pissed at Sammy but the fact it came down to that. But I know Sammy tried countless times to get Ella help as did I. Sammy told me that she was still shocked that Ella allowed me that far into her life.

It was three am when a nurse came out. I had sprawled out on three chairs and my legs still hung off.

“I’m sorry to wake you but I figured you’d want to know that she’s awake. She’s a little groggy, but awake and asking for you.”

“Thank you,” I stood up and saw A.J. and Sammy were sitting in two chairs and their heads leaning against one another’s. I followed the nurse through hall ways and finally came to a room.

“Go on in, she will probably be asleep in a little while but I know you’ve been here all night.” I nodded my head understanding and walked in.

Ella’s left leg was up in a sling and was loosely bandaged. Her right leg was propped up on a pillow; a black cast was on it. She had an oxygen tube that rested under her nose.

I walked up to her bed and then gently picked her hand up into mine. An IV was taped on the top of it and I brought her hand up to my lips and lightly kissed it. I saw her eyes flutter open and my heart skipped a few beats.

“Hey you,” I smiled and brushed my hand on her forehead and hair. She whispered ‘hi’ and I sat on the edge of her bed ever so carefully. “How are you feeling?”

“Sleepy,” she pulled a half smile and squeezed my hand. “I want to go home with you.”

“Soon Ella. It’s late and I’ll stay here all night while you sleep, alright?” She nodded her head and her eyes closed. I said a silent prayer to God, asking him to give her the strength to get through this and to let him know that I would be there for her through it all.