- Text Size +
Two days later I was allowed to bring Ella home. Her injuries were healing but I was afraid emotionally she was damaged. I had Howie and A.J. help me fix up the guest room to make it Ella’s room. Sammy explained more of her personality, told me some of the stories she heard while growing up so when Ella got to my house, she would feel as though it was hers also.

“This is going to be a long two months of not being able to even use crutches.” Ella whined looking out the passenger window. I had taken my Escalade to pick her up so that her wheel chair would fit into the back. A long with all of the flowers and gifts I got her and everyone else.

I pulled into the driveway, turned the car off and got out. I went to the front door, unlocked it and opened it up. I went back to the passenger door and it was already open.

“I needed some air,” Ella said before I got a word in. She knew her physical activity was supposed to be very limited and would be pretty much on bed rest for a couple weeks until her rib completely healed.

“You look pale,” I said reaching my hand up to her cheek.

“I’m a little tired.”

“That’s to be expected. Okay you ready to go inside? I’m just going to carry you in.” She put her arm around my neck and I put my arm under her casted legs and lifted her up. She winced and sucked in a sharp breath and I said “sorry.”

I brought her inside and gently settled her on the couch in the living room. I placed two pillows under her legs and put one behind her back. “You okay for a few minutes? I’m going to unload the car.”

“I’m fine. You worry too much,” she winked and smiled before laying her head back and closing her eyes. “No promises I’ll be awake.”

“Sleep,” I told her and kissed the top of her head. She pulled a blanket down that was up the top and I helped her un-fold it on her. Her eyes closed again and I went back to the car to start unloading.

Between the wheel chair, the bags, the flowers and gifts, it took me four trips to the car to get everything inside. By the time I was done, Ella was passed out. I stood over her, watching her chest slowly rise and fall.
Everything was surreal. A few weeks ago, I nearly ran this girl over, one look and I fell in love with someone who was with a boyfriend and now here she was. Asleep, on my couch and I wanted to do nothing but protect her.

I settled into the love seat and flipped on the television, hoping to find something besides trashy talk shows and soap operas at this time of day. I landed on CSI and watched a re-run that I had never seen before.
Grissom had just found another miniature set from the dollhouse murder in his office when I heard Ella moaning softly. I looked over and saw her tossing her head lightly back and forth. “No,” escaped from her lips and her breathing became more rapid. I stood up and knelt down next to her.

“Ella, wake up.” I placed my hand on her head. Her legs then began to move and I put my arm over them, afraid she’d hurt herself.

At that moment Ella sat up and let out a yell. “Shh, it was just a dream. You’re alright,” I told her, cupping her face in my hands and looking into her eyes. She was sweating and breathing hard.

“Sorry,” she pressed her finger tips over her eyes and dropped her back.

“Don’t apologize. You look like you’re in pain. You want me to get you a pain killer?” She nodded her head and I went into the kitchen where her prescription was and took a bottled water from the refrigerator. I returned and put one in her palm and gave her the water.

“Thanks,” she tossed it in her mouth and chased it with a swig of water. She put the cap back on and set it on the floor next to her. I watched as she tried to sit up, pushing off her hands and she pressed her lips together and squeezed her eyes closed. I fixed the pillow behind her so she was sitting up.

“Better?”

“A little. My legs feel like they’re falling asleep.”

“Yeah we have to keep changing elevation. I’ll take the pillows out for a while.” I carefully pulled the pillows out and watched her face to make sure I wasn’t hurting her.

“Nick, thank you for everything…again. I don’t know if I’ll be able to thank you enough.”

“You already have. I’m happy to have you hear.”

“If you have things to do, you can go and do them. I’ll be alright.”

“I have nothing planned for quite some time. Just to get you back on your feet.”

“Ugh, seems like it’s going to be forever. And dancing? That’s out of the question, there goes that dream.”

“You don’t know that. You’ll do physical therapy and get you strong and into the dancing school you want.”

“I can’t even pick this one leg up at all, how will I get it strong enough to leap on or jump. My left leg is my lead leg in everything I do.”

“Time, support and belief.”

“I never was this bitter or non-believer type Nick. And honestly, I feel as though I don’t know myself anymore. I mean, you’re a complete stranger pretty much and you’ve taken me in and I’m so grateful but I just…I just don’t get why?”

“Destiny.”

“Excuse me?”

“Destiny Ella. I ran you over because we were meant to meet. I was meant to keep you safe and protect you. A lot of good I did but I’m trying my best now.”

“The idea sounds nice but I just don’t believe in fairy tales.” She sighed and closed her eyes briefly. “I need a shower.”

“Yeah not with those ankles.”

“Nick, I’ve had nothing but a sponge bath in the last two days and my hairs needs to be washed and conditioned and I need to shave…at least a little.” I stared at her desperation and thought for a moment.

“Well, I do have a walk-in shower,” I grinned a little. “I have an idea.”

“Thank you!”

“After this though, it’s in bed for the rest of the night for you!”

“Yes, Dad.” She rolled her eyes.
I had gone up stairs and began getting things ready. It really was going to be a process to get her showered safely. I brought two chairs from the kitchen into the shower and two; large garbage bag with a roll of duct tape.

After, I went down stairs to get Ella. I scooped her up into my arms and noted to myself I was going to have to make sure she ate well because she definitely lost weight within the last week. I carried her to where her room was and set her on the bed.

“I had Sammy help me with your room, do you like?” I asked trying to read her face.

“Nick, you did this for me?” She asked looking around. Pictures of old friends, her family were placed around the room. I had bought an Edward Degas ballet painting and hung it over her bed. Her ballet Pointe shoes hung from her vanity mirror, her jazz sneakers and other dance shoes were up on a shelf.

“Hope you don’t mind us going through your things. We just wanted it to feel more like your house too. Your clothes are in the closet and dresser; I thought maybe you would feel comfortable in a swim suit and I can help you shower. I’ll get in mine also?”

“Sounds good,” she bit her lower lip and nodded her head. I went to her dresser and in the top drawer, her bathing suit lay on the top.

“I’ll go get mine on and come back in a few?” I asked, wondering if maybe she were going to need help. She wore a pair of shorts and a sweatshirt so she would’ve been able to easily change.

“I can handle, thanks Nick,” she smiled and I walked out of the room. I turned on the shower to make sure it would be warm by the time she got in and I put my swim shorts on. I waited an extra two minutes before I went to Ella’s room and knocked on her door.

“Ready,” her voice called out. I opened the door and my breath was nearly taken away as I looked at her in her suit on the bed. She looked like a model, despite all of the bruising on her body.

“You’re staring Nick,” she rolled her eyes and laughed.

“Sorry, you’re just so-”

“Hideous?”

“What? Not at all, what are you talking about?”

“I’m a mess, look at me.”

“Stop that,” I went closer to the bed and sat on the edge. “You, you’re beautiful Ella. These bruises and broken bones will heal. This,” I took her hands and held them up to her chest where her heart was located. “This will heal.” Her eyes looked up at me, reading to make sure I was telling the truth.

Her breathing became more rapid, my chest pounded and our lips inched closer and closer. Her eyes closed as she brought her lips to mine and they softly brushed across mine. I kissed back ever so lightly. Seconds later we pulled away.

I had brought in the garbage bags and duct tape to cover her casts up and slid the plaster casted leg through. I tapped the bag tight around just below her knee.

“I can take off the boot, you don’t need to bag this leg up,” she said matter-of-factly.

“I don’t know Ella? Your ankle is still a fracture that means it’s still a break.”

“So? Not like I’ll be walking on it. Please, so I can shave?”

“I don’t like this.”

“Live a little.” I was taken back when she said that and shot her a look.

“No moving.” I began to un-strap her boot slowly and as carefully as possible. I lifted the front up and winced when I saw how bruised and swollen her ankle was. There were colors I had never seen before.

“I’m afraid to lift your leg up,” I admitted hesitating.

“It will be fine Nick, I promise.” Her voice was sincere and full of truth. I gently picked her leg up and pulled the casted boot to the side; never once taking my eyes off Ella’s eyes.

“You ready to shower?” I asked pulling away. I knew I had to take things slow, I wanted to take things slow to make sure she wouldn’t be hurt anymore.

“More than ready,” she grinned and I carefully picked her up into my arms. I brought her through my room, into my bathroom where steam was filling up the bathroom. I sat Ella down on one of the chairs in the shower, her legs going on the other.

“How is the water?”

“Perfect,” her head leaned back into the warm shower. I had her shower things in a plastic basket on the ground next to her chairs. I picked up a wash cloth and her body-wash and squirted a nickel sized amount onto the cloth. I then began to wash her neck, back and arms.

Her eyes closed and a small smile formed on her perfectly shaped lips. I softly went to her thighs, squatting down and when I came to her un-casted leg I smoothly ran the cloth around. I stood up a minute later, reached for the head of the shower and pulled it down to rinse her body off.

Ella had reached for her shampoo and began scrubbing her hair and I did the rinsing. I stepped out of the shower so that Ella could be left alone to finish shaving. Everything seemed to be happening fast between her and I. There were definitely mutual feelings and I felt my heart swell every time I was near her.

I had just ran down stairs in the kitchen and threw a can of soup into a bowl and put in the microwave for us to have for dinner. I knew she wouldn’t be wanting a heavy meal anytime soon. I then ran back up the stairs and into my room.

I flipped on the TV and figured I’d wait another few minutes to let her finish up before going back into the bathroom. That was until I heard my name.
I walked in and saw Ella gripping the edge of her chair with her head down and knew something wasn’t right.

“You done?”

“Yeah, I’m kinda light headed.”

“Oh, boy.” I turned the shower off and reached for the towel that was on the hook outside of the walk-in shower. As I dried her skin, I looked at her face which was pale and her eyes were closed lightly. It looked as though she was focusing on her breathing.

I wrapped the towel around her small frame and her hand slipped from her grip on the chairs seat. She reached out for me but I had her the entire time. “You’re not going anywhere, I’ve got you,” I let out a light laugh.

“I felt like I was falling.”

“I think you’ve just over done it for your first day out,” I took her arm and put it around my neck and she reached around with her other arm. Her head rested on the crick of my neck and I scooped her up into my arms. She squeezed me tight and I could feel her chest rise up and down deeply.

“Ugh, I’m like floating.”

“Here you go, just take it easy,” I lay her down on her bed, her eyes were still closed and I took a spare pillow and put it under her legs. “Did you eat at the hospital?”

“I had toast this morning at seven.”

“I made soup, think you can try it? Just noodles and chicken.”

“Maybe.”

“Are you still light headed?”

“Just a little, I feel better now that I’m lying down. I think I got too hot in the shower.”

“Well, you’re staying put here for the rest of the night.” I told her going through her drawers and getting her pajamas out. “If you want me to help, let me know. I’ll go get you some dinner. No big movements.”

She saluted me and stuck her tongue out. “That’s a sexy look.”

“I know,” she laughed and it was music to my ears as cheesy as that may sound. I hadn’t heard her laugh in a while. I went back into my room and changed into a pair of sweat pants and a tee shirt before going down stairs and preparing our dinner.

It was already almost eight and realized how hungry I was. I hadn’t eaten since breakfast either but I had a breakfast sandwich from Dunkin Donuts when I went to pick her up from the hospital. A little more filling than toast oh and I had a peanut butter sandwich as a snack while she took a nap earlier. I took two water bottles from the fridge, stuck them under my arms and carried the two bowls of soup up stairs.

Ella was dressed her PJ’s and was struggling to cover herself with the sheets. I laughed, set the bowls and water on the night stand. “What are you laughing at? I’m just thankful I can dress myself.”

“Just because you’re cute, here let’s put this back on before we get the sheets on.” I picked up her boot and carefully put her broken leg back into it. “How are you doing with pain?”

“Fine,” she shrugged her shoulders. I raised only my eyes to look at her to see if she were telling the truth as I strapped her leg into place. “Promise. It’s sore but those pills make me feel gross.”

“Yeah I know what you mean,” I helped prop her back up and covered her. “Here, it should be cool enough to eat,” I handed her the bowl of soup, took mine and sat on a chair that was across the room.

“I wish it weren’t both ankles I broke. I feel like a wheel chair is going to be ten times more work than crutches,” she said eyeing the wheel chair that was set up on the other side of her bed.

“Just for a few weeks.”

“FOUR!” She slurped a long noodle and I laughed.

For the next hour we talked about possibilities we could do at the end of the week and how she wanted to stop at the Café and let everyone know what was going on. I think I finally convinced her to tell them that they should take her off permanently and when she was able to get back onto her feet I’d help her find another job.

Ella admitted that was afraid of working at the café anyway because Anthony would be looking there for her every day. I helped Ella into her wheel chair and she made her way into the bathroom which I made sure everything she would need would be reachable. She brushed her teeth and anything else women need to do before going to bed and came back into the room.

Seeing the finger printed bruise marks on her arm made me clench my jaw as she went to push herself up onto the bed.

“Okay so getting down is a lot easier than getting up since I can’t move my lower half.” She giggled and I went next to her and helped her up. “You’re going to get bigger arms by lifting me up so much.”

“I’ll just cut back my weight lifting,” I winked and covered her up. “Okay, your phone is by your bed, if you need me, just call. My room is just down the hall.”

“Nick, I just want to thank you again for everything.”

“You’re welcome.” I kissed her forehead and she tugged on my shirt a little, bringing my face to hers. She softly brushed her lips on mine and I kissed back.

“Goodnight.”

“Night, Ella.” I smiled and walked out of her room smiling.