- Text Size +

 

AN ESSAY I WAS COMPELLED TO WRITE by Samantha Griffin
Detention
Ms. Helga Keats

I think when someone heard the name Samantha Griffin, one would immediately remember me as the wild one, the party girl, not the whiz kid. I guess I am considering my diligent attendance at the hottest parties thrown by popular kids in school that's why I was branded as such. But still, others also see me as the nerdy one, in which I may agree. Thinking now on what others see me as, I just really don't care. I don't care if they don't know who I really am and what is my deepest desires. Only you, Ms. Keats, will be the first to know about me.

I am a person of many contrasts. I guess it's a part of the facade that I'm trying to project to the people. I grew up wanting so much in life. I came from a family who only had a mother to raise her three daughters on her own. It came to my life that I need to do something to help my mom but she doesn't want me to work. She wanted me to concentrate in my studies, and so I did. Growing up without a father gave me the need for an attention to the people I am with in school. I think that being with them will help me forget that my mother works on her three jobs a day and pushing every thing she can do just to give us the education she dreamed for us. I think that being part of the 'in' crowd in school will help me lessen the guilt I am feeling for going to school instead of working to help my mom get this family through everyday. I know that won't help but still...

Just then, I found a new diversion. I will study hard. I know that if I graduate and go to college, I may help my mother more than I wanted to. That was four years ago. I'm now a senior student and vying for the valedictory position. I will get that position in order to be awarded a full scholarship grant to UCLA. I want that. I need that. In comparison to Kevin 'the Richardson' Richardson, the richest kid in school, I have to do something to secure my future. I know that this is the only way to help my mom if she doesn't want me to work for us. I know this is the only way to fulfill my dreams.