- Text Size +
"Megan!" I heard my mom call from upstairs.

"Yeah mom?"

As she walked down the steps she asked, "Can you do me a favor today? Or are you girls busy?"

"No we're not. What do you need?"

"I need you to pick up a couple of old friends from the airport at 315."

"Ok. Who am I picking up?"

"Just some old friends. I told them what you drive so they'll meet you at your car at 315."

"Ok. But, why won't you tell me who they are?"

She smiled, "Sweetie. Don't worry. Just do that for me. Ok?"

I nodded, "Ok mom."

I turned to Kat. "You're going with me right?"

"Yeah, I'll go."

"Thanks. Because I have a bad feeling about this."



On the way to the airport, Kat turne on the radio. She turned on the hits station, and it was playing 'I Want It That Way.' That's when it hit me. She was sending me to pick him up. I didn't say anything. I kept it to myself.

By the time we pulled into the parking lot, I had convinced myself that it wouldn't be him. Because if it was, someone would have told me. Right?

We sat there talking and listening to music when I noticed the clock said 3:17. I started to look around for people coming toward our car. We both got up to satnd outside the car while we waited. I was picking at my fingernail when I heard Kat.

"Hey, is that them?"

I looked straight ahead. I saw two guys walking. One was tall and had a hat on. I could see blonde hair peeking through his hat. He looked kinda familiar. Then, I saw the man walking with him and froze. I recognized him immediately. Even though his hat was pulled down and he had sunglasses on. I knew that walk. It was him. As they got closer I panicked.

"KAT. I can't do this."

"Why?"

"Because it's him."

"Who?"

She looked at them and realized who I was talking about. When they got to me, Nick walked up to me and pulled me close.

"Hey Meg. Surprise!" He grinned as he pulled back.

I just stared at him. Then whispered, "Nick..how could you not tell me? I talked to you ast week. Why wouldn't anyone warn me?"

Alex walked up to me and looked at me with those puppy dog eyes. He softly said, "Hi."

I could feel the butterflies as he stood there. And, I could also feel the tears that were on their way. I turned my head and quickly go tin the car and started the engine. Kat followed. Then, Nick and Alex got in the back.

When I heard all the doors close, I took off. I was beyond pissed. How could my mom send me? Knowing that it would break my heart. After a few minutes of driving in silence, Nick coughed.

I looked back at him through the rearview mirror. "Oh, I'm sorry. Kat, that's Nick. Nick. Kat." Then, I glanced at Alex. "And that's AJ."

I didn't miss his face fall when I said AJ. I promised him years ago that I would never call him that because I knew Alex.

Nick also noticed. "Megan? Come on."

I glared at Nick. Then turned the radio up. At that very moment the song that was playing ended. And a new one came on. Out of all the times to play, it picked right then. 'Incomplete.' Not only did Alex have to majority of the song, but it was a horrible song to play at the time. I mean come on. Without you all I'm going to be is incomplete?

As it played and I heard his voice, a tear rolled down my cheek. I looked in the mirror and saw him lip synching the words, and I saw a tear roll down his cheek.

"Why'd you leave?" I said.

He looked up at me in the mirror. "What?"

I spoke louder. "Why? Why did you leave me? Why didn't you call? Why didn't you visit? Or even write? Or answer your phone? 2 years Alex! Two fucking years!"

"I-I don't know Meggie."

"Don't call me that!"

My emotions were overwhelming me so much, that Kat forced me to pull over to the side of the road and switch seats. When I got in the passenger seat, Kat headed towards my house. I curled my legs up in the seat, and leaned my head against the window as I cried.

When we reached my house, Kat led them to the door. They knew my house so they told her she could stay outside with me. I had gotten out of the car and went to the backyard. I was sitting in the tire swing Alex and I shared. The tree was directly in between our two yards. So when my dad put the tire swing in, he said we had to share. We didn't mind. We used to spend hours pushing each other. Sometimes we'd sit on each others laps in it. Like the night before he left for New York when he first joined the group.

I saw Kat walk out and looked at her with a half smile. "We used to play out here. I haven't sat in this swing in 2 years."

Kat sat on the ground next to me. "God, Megan. I'm so sorry. This must be so hard for you. I can't even imagine being in your position. What are you gonna do?"

"I honestly don't know."

"What if he really is here because he's sorry? I'm not taking his side over yours, but what if he has a good reason?"

"What reason could he possibly have for desserting his best friend?" I wiped my face as I got off the swing, and went inside.