- Text Size +
When I got inside, I heard laughter in the living room. I walked in slowly and saw Denise sitting by my mom on the couch. Nick was in the recliner, and Alex was sitting on the gigantic beanbag we always kept in the corner. The beanbag we used to sit on together.

Seeing him sitting there hurt too much. I couldn't handle this. I wasn't ready yet. I needed time to think.

"Megan, come sit with us and talk." My mom said.

I looked at her, with tears running down my face. Then, I turned and ran up the stairs nd into my room. Slamming the door behind me.


I heard the knock on my door. The special knock only Alex used. Then, the door opened and closed a few seconds later. I was laying on my bed. My face burried in my pillow as I sobbed quietly to myself. He sat on the edge of my bed, and touched my back.

"Megs. I'm sorry." He whispered.

I shrugged off his hand and sat up. "Why?"

I looked at him and searched his eyes for an answer.

He cupped my face with his hands and wiped the tears from my cheeks.

"I really don't know. I'm so sorry. The reason I'm here is because I couldn't stamd being away from you anymore. I miss my best friend."

I shook my head. "No. You have a reason. You just don't wanna tell me because you're ashamed. The only time you lie to me is when you're ashamed of what you've done. Please, just tell me. Did I do something wrong?"

"No. You did nothing wrong. I don't know how to explain why I left. It's not..it's not easy to talk about. Not even the guys know why. Hell, honestly I don't even know."

"Alex." I began before I cried again. "I miss you. I miss you so much. I've cried myself to sleep so many nights. I miss you holding me when I sleep. I know we only did that once in a while. But, it was the highlight of my year. Vacation so that I could visit you."

He smiled at me and laid on the bed, pulling me down to rest my head on his shoulder. "I miss it too. Nick brought me. He came over last night and handed me a plane ticket. When I ased what it was, he said 'it's a ticket to take your ass to se her. Because we're sick of hearing you cry.' That's when I realized he was right. I need you. I'm sorry. I'm so sorry. Can you please forgive me?"

"I dunno Alex. It's gona take a lot of talking. How about we go downstairs and visit with everyone, and we'll talk after dinner?"

"Sounds good. Let's go."

We walked back in the living room and took our seats. We sat together on our bean bag. But we didn't act close like before. We weren't giggly and smiling. And everyone noticed. Everyone could see me tense up.

Denise looked at me. "So Megan? How have you been?"

I looked at her and softly said, "I'm fine. Just enjoying my summer." I stood up to get a drink. "Excuse me."

I grabbed a can out of the fridge and sat at the table. I just needed some space to think. I wanted so badly to forgive Alex. And be how we used to be. I just didn't know if I could.

I was broken from my thoughts as my mom came in to start dinner. She patted my shoulder as she told me, "Sweetie. I'm sorry. I thought you'd be happy once you saw him. I didn't think it would hurt you like this. I'm sorry."

"It's ok. I just don't know what to do. I wanna forgive him. I want everything to be how it used to be. I'm afraid if we do get close again, he'll leave. Or something will happen and we'll fight and end up hating each other. I'm just scared."

"It's alright hunny. I know it will all work out. You two will be married with children within 5 years." She laughed.

"Ew mom. No."

"I'm gonna make dinner. How about you go in the living room and keep Nick, Alex, and Kat company. Denise had to leave."

"Alright." I said as I walked back in the living room.

I sat down on the couch next to Kat. She was chatting with the guys getting to know each other. I sat there quietly as they talked. Every once in a while I would look up to see Alex looking at me. Each time we made eye conact, we'd smile softly at each other. At one point Nick and Alex were talking, so Kat turned to me.

"Meg, you ok?"

"No."

"Did you guys talk?"

"Yeah. A little bit. We're gonna talk more after dinner." I stopped and looked at her. "What would you do?"

She thought for a minute before answering. "Honestly, after all the stories I've heard and pictures I've seen of you two. I would probably do anything to make things right."

I nodded and looked back at the guys when my mom announced dinner was done and that my dad was home.



After dinner, the six of us sat out on the back porch drinking kool aid. It was getting late, my dad said he was going to go to bed. Which I thought sounded glorious. It was at least midnight, if not later.

I stood up to tell everyone goodnight.

"Nick, you know where the guest room is. And Kat, you know where the other guest room is. I'm gonna go to bed. I'll see you guys in the morning, ok?"

"Night Megs." Nick said as he hugged me and kissed my cheek.

Kat smiled and said, "Yeah, goodnight hun."

I started to walk inside when I stopped and turned to Alex, "You coming Alex?"

He looked up at me and smiled. "Of course." He walked towards me and I grabbed him for a hug. I held him for dear life, not wanting to ever let him go. At this moment, I didn't care what his reason was. I wanted my best friend back.