- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
I updated yesterday but realized a few paragraphs at the bottom were cut out..so I re-updated for tonight!
We finally arrived at the hospital, with Denise watching Brit for us. Sitting around waiting was horrible. Nick thought she was fine, but the paramedics said she was falling on the way to the hospital and it would take a lot to bring her back. Finally, after 2 hours of waiting, we saw the doctor appear.

“Mr. Carter?”

Nick jumped up, “Yeah that’s me! Is Kat ok?”

“She’ll be fine. She lost a lot of blood, and she’s very weak, but she’ll heal. It may take a few months, however. She was shot twice. Once in the shoulder and once in the chest, luckily it was on her right side and missed her heart, as well as other vital organs and arteries. I can’t guarantee when she’ll be able to lift anything for quite some time, and she’ll require help to bathe for a while. I’ll go into more detail later on before she leaves.”

Nick seemed to be in a daze, nodding and sighing a lot.

“Can we see her?” He asked, after shaking the doctor’s hand.

“Of course, but no more than 2 at a time, we don’t have much room in there.” The doctor smiled and left.

“Baby, I hope they catch that psycho bitch.” I whispered to Alex, wrapping my arms around his waist.

‘Me too, Meggie. I’m just so glad Kat’s ok. If she would have died, I would have never forgiven myself.”

“For what? This isn’t your fault, Alex.”

“In a way it is. This girl is around because of me.”

“Alex, look at me.” I turned his face to mine, “This is not your fault. In any way.”

He nodded, and then kissed my nose. “Let’s go see Kat.”


After spending a few minutes with Kat, and being assured she was ok, we decided to leave and let her rest. As we were leaving the room, we saw 2 police officers walking toward us.

“Alexander McLean?” One officer asked, looking highly professional.

“Yes sir. Did you catch her?” Alex asked, taking my hand in his.

“We did.” The other officer answered. “She’s being taken to the station. We need both of you to come down as soon as possible and identify her, if you can.”

“Of course. We will right now. Do you know her name?” Alex asked.

The professional officer answer, “Her name is Natalie Hunter, sir.”

I turned to Alex, to see his reaction. The name meant nothing to me, but the look on his face said different for him.”

“Alex? Who is it?” I asked.

“Remember the night before our wedding, I told you about the girl that I was seeing, that saw your picture. And I told her that you were the girl who owned my heart…I can’t believe it.”

“So she did have a motive? That will make a stronger case against her.” Officer Professional noted.

“Thank you for everything officers. We appreciate it more than we could ever say. We’ll be on our way to the station immediately.” I said, shaking hands with both policemen.


The ride to the police station was silent. As was the process of identifying her. I stood by Alex the entire time, but couldn’t wait till we were out of there and back home.

I called Denise and asked if she would mind to take Brit for the night, which of course she didn’t. I thought tonight would be best to have a quiet night of reflection.

At home, in pajamas, Alex and I laid on the couch together in the silence. No TV, no radio.

“I love you so much, Meggie.” He whispered in my ear, grasping me tightly in his arms.

“I love you Alex. I’m so glad this is over.” I sighed, contently.

“Well, it's not over yet sweetie. We have so much to do tomorrow. We have to call our lawyers, and get everything ready to take her to court and get her locked up.” He tightened his grip on me and kissed the back of my neck. "Then, we have to call our publicist and release a statement..and answer so many questions from fans."

He let out a long sigh.

"I'll say something to the fans on twitter and maybe do a chat on the fanclub for a little bit to assure them everything's ok. Don't get stressed over it babe. It will be over soon. And we can get back to living our lives the way we've always dreamed of."

I held his arms in place with my hands and let my head lean back against him. After the day we’d had, all both of us really wanted was sleep. After all, when I glanced at the clock from the digital cable box, it was 4:03 am.

"I think we just need to get a good night's sleep. Let's go up to bed." I said, standing and holding my hand out to him.

We finally made it to bed after brushing our teeth and doing our other bedtime rituals, but I'm pretty sure we both cut them down to the basics for tonight. When Alex laid down next to me, I held my arms out and let him find comfort in them. After placing sweet kisses on his face and head, we both closed our eyes.

“Goodnight baby girl. I love you.”

“Goodnight baby boy. I love you more...than you'll ever realize."
Chapter End Notes:
Please review!