- Text Size +
That night I was going out with Nick. I was nervous as hell, but excited too. Kat was helping me pick out my outfit. We decided on a cute black mini skirt, a puple top, and my adorable purple, plaid pumps. I know purple plaid..but they are more adorable than you could imagine.

Kat did my makeup for me. She made me look beautiful. And she did my hair. She put it up in one of those messy buns, with my long bangs swept across my face. As I was walking out of my room, I stopped to grab the necklace I had cherished for years. It was a white gold heart, with diamonds all around it. Alex got it for me years ago.

As I walked down the stairs, I saw Nick.

"Oh my!"

I saw Nick standing there with his mouth open.

"Hi Nick."

"Uh..th-these are for you." He handed me a bouquet of lilies and daisies. "You look breathtaking."

I took the flowers and blushed. "Thank you. Ready?"

He held out his arm for me to take. "Yes. Let's go."

I turned to say goodbye to Kat, Alex, and Andrew. As we were leaving, I thought for a second that Alex looked angry at me. But, I assured myself he wasn't.


That night Nick took me to dinner and then we went to a coffee shop so we could sit and talk. We already knew each other pretty well, so we took the opportunity to catch up on the past few years with our love lives. His had been crazy. Mine..well let's just say I don't have good luck in love. I was the only one of my friends that was a virgin. It's not that I don't want to have sex, it's just that the guys I've dated..I had no desire to have it with them. I want to actually like the person I do have sex with.

As we were talking, I decided to tell him about my virginity.

"There is something I should tell you that you don't know. It's probably the one thing you guys don't know about me."

"What's is it?" He asked me, smiling.

"I'm a virgin." I said it so fast, he didn't understand me.

"Do what?"

"I'm a virgin Nick." This time I said it slower and a little louder.

He stared at me before speaking. "Oh..wow. I-I never would have thought that. You're so beautiful..how could someone not have made love to you?"

"Nick you're sweet. It's not that I'm like waiting for marriage or anything..I just want to actually like the person I have sex with. Ya know? Feel something for them."

He smiled and placed his hand over mine. "I understand. And I completely respect you. I would never pressure you into that."

He leaned in and kissed me. After we pulled away, and finished our coffees, we decided to leave. As we were walking to the cab, my phone rang. I looked at the screen and it said Alex. I knew that if he was interrupting, something was wrong.

"Alex?"

"MEGAN WHERE ARE YOU GUYS AT?!"

"At starbucks. Why? What's wrong?!"

"Baby, can you give the phone to Nick real quick, I promise I'll tell you. I just need to tell him first."

"Ok."

I handed the phone to Nick. As he was talking to Alex, I saw his eyes grow wide. I knew something horrible happened. A minute later, we were getting in the cab and Nick gave the phone back. As I was telling Alex I was back, i heard Nick tell the driver.. hospital.

"ALEX? WHAT HAPPENED?"

"Baby, calm down. Are you sitting?"

"Yes, we're in the cab."

"Meg, I don't know how to tell you this...but, it's Kat."

"What about her? Why are we going to the hospital?"

"Babe, she was out with Andrew. I heard his car dropping her off. So, I went to the door to let her in. And, I heard her scream. When I got out there, he drove off and she was laying there on the ground. He beat her Meg. He beat her bad."

"Oh my God." I whispered as tears rolled down my face. "How is she?"

"She's in surgery. We're on the 3rd floor, in the waiting room. Do you want me to stay on the phone until you get here?"

No, I'm here. I'll see you in a minute. Bye"

"Bye." He said before I hung up.



When I got in the waiting room, I saw Alex and my parents. Kat's parents were on vacation in Hawaii, so they couldn't get there yet.

I ran straight into Alex's arms and sobbed.

He stroked my hair ad whispered, "Shh..it's ok. She'll be ok."

I pulled away from him to ask, "What did he do to her?"

"Meggie.."

"Alex tell me. Please."

"Ok." He sat down and pulled me on his lap. "He beat her all over. Probably kicked her. She's got a lot of scratches and bruises. Her lip is busted. And her shirt was torn up. To be honest..I think he raped her..."

"Alex?"

"Meggie, when I got out to her, she was unconcious."

"Oh my God. She's in a coma?" I asked i disbelief. "What if she doesn't make it?"

"She will Megs." Nick said as he kneeled down in front of me.



"Are you all here for Katrina Anderson?" A doctor asked. None of us even noticed that he had walked in.

"My dad stood up. "Yes we are. Here parents are in Hawaii, on their way back. We all brought her here. Is she alright?

"Well, she was beaten pretty badly. She's got a lot of broken bones. We've stopped the internal bleeding. But, she's still in a coma. And, the next 48 hours are very critical. If she wakes up, she'll be fine. However, if she doesn't wake up within the next two days, she more than likely never will."

"May we see her?" I asked.

"Sure. But, please keep it to no more than two people in a room at a time. She's in ICU, room 6."

"Thank you doctor." My mom told him as she shook his hand.


My parents told me to go in first. I looked to Nick and Alex and couldn't dcide who to ask to go in with me.

"Megs, take AJ with you. You need him."

"Nick are you sure?"

He hugged me. "I'm sure babe."

"Thank you."

Alex walked me into Kat's room. I was unprepared for the sight in front of me. There was Kat, lying helplessly in the bed. Casts all over, scratches and bruises on her face and arms. Gauze wrapped arooud her head, where he had busted her skull open. She had a black eye and had wires and tubes hooked up to her.

I gasped and buried my face in Alex's chest. "Alex, what if she doesn't wake up?"

"She will. She has to."