- Text Size +
Chapter 2
I leaned back against the bar, taking in the club scene. At 30 years old, Steve still loved the club. And yeah, I guess you could say I did too. I guess it was more so for checking out the ladies, rather than the drinking or the dancing. I ordered my rum and coke, surveying the scene, but stopped as I felt a pair of eyes on me. But no one was even looking in my direction. I shook it off; just chalking it up the very strange evening I seemed to be having. I walked back over to the table and nudged my other band mate, Ray.

“What’s up AJ?”

“Where did Steve hear about this club?” I glanced around, taking in the black with the red colors. Or maybe a better term for that red would be blood red.

“I think through a friend. I’ve heard about it, they say it’s awesome.”

“I’m still waiting to be impressed.” Yes, I’ve seen a lot and done a lot, not all that I was happy with, but enough to say that this was not the best around. Different, that was certainly a given, but awesome, that I would not claim.

“Let it go, AJ. Let loose for the night.” With that, he smiled, winked and headed off to the other side of the dance floor. I sighed and sat down in his vacant seat, wondering what the hell was wrong with me.

“Nothing.” I nodded my head to that, than snapped it up. Before me stood a woman, who had to be slightly shorter than me, with raven black hair and amazing purple eyes. She smiled and I could not help but return that smile.

“Hi.” She chuckled at that and indicated the seat across from me. “Please, join me.”

“Do you always invite women you don’t know to join you?”

“I’m AJ.”

“Short for something?”

“Alexander.”

“Mmm, beautiful name.”

“Thank you, but you would be?”

“Theresa.”

“Than you’re not a stranger anymore.” There was that amazing smile once more. “Do you come here often?” Her eyes traveled around the room and she shook her head.

“I’ve only been here once or twice. Haven’t really found anyone worth my time.”

“What changed your mind?” Her head cocked to the side and her eyes took me in, trying to sum me up. Ha, good luck with that shit! I was certainly not the easiest one to sum up. Especially just by looking me over.

“You seem different.”

“Lady, you have no idea.” Her lips curled up and I felt that tingle run down my spine. But this was slightly different; it was mixed with a little fear. Something about her screamed at me to run, yet I stayed put. To say she spiked my interest was really stating the least.

“Oh, I think I might have an idea or two. Have it all, yet still so lonely and not quite sure why.” Wow, okay, maybe she just had that special ability to sum people up. She laughed and I glanced over at her. “Sorry, just something that came to mind. So, AJ, or may I use Alex?” I shivered, loving that sound. She smirked, and bit her lip, making me hard. What the hell, where did that come from?

“Um,” I cleared my throat once more, “Alex is fine.”

“Something wrong?”

“Not at all. May I buy you a drink?” She shook her head, her hair slightly swaying.

“No, I’m not much of a drinker. If you wouldn’t mind, though, I certainly wouldn’t mind taking a walk outside. It’s getting a little stuffy in here and it’s such an amazing night out.” I was a gentleman, and what gentleman would deny the woman’s request? Certainly not me. And yeah, okay, it had nothing to do with my hard on at that moment. Maybe the cool air might help.

“Than lead the way.” She smiled as she walked out of the club and started down the sidewalk.

“How did you hear about this club? It’s not advertised.”

“I actually came with a friend. I guess he heard about it and wanted to see what the fuss was about. Him, and a couple other friends like it.”

“But you don’t?” I just shrugged, and glanced at her. Damn, something about her just attracted me. I had to keep my eyes in front of me or I would be rude as hell by staring at her. She chuckled again and once more I was curious, sending a look her way. She shook her head but smiled. “You don’t?”

“Let’s just say it’s not my thing?” She rose an eyebrow at that and I had a feeling she wasn’t buying that statement. Fine, if truth be told, that was sort of like a gothic club and for all I show, I’m not really into gothic stuff. It was cool, and at times I might portray it, but really into it, nah, that wasn’t me. “Don’t look at me like that. You don’t like it either.”

“Now, that’s not what I said. I said I never found anyone who interested me, that was, until now.” I cocked my head to the side and smirked. “Oh, Mr. Alex gets a big head?” How right she was, she’ll never know, but not about the head on top. She chuckled again and I just had to stop that. That was the third time in less than 15 minutes that she was laughing at something, almost as if she was reading…now, that couldn’t be.

“No way.”

“No way, what, Alex?” I shook my head and resumed my walking. “Something is bothering you.”

“Not bothering me. You laugh at something, but it’s usually after I think something that’s sorta funny.”

“And you want to know if I can read thoughts?” Well, there was certainly no point in denying that now, huh?

“Something like that.” She smiled and damn it, all I wanted to do was kiss her. A woman I didn’t know, a woman I’m not sure I was supposed to be with, but certainly a woman I was starting to like.

“It’s not that I can read minds. I’ve just gotten really good at reading peoples body language and facial expressions. And you’re body and you’re face, says a lot about you.”

“Good things?” She shrugged and continued walking. “Do you know where we’re going?”

“I have a pretty good sense of direction.”

“I’m glad you do. How do I know I can trust you? That you don’t take me somewhere and ravage me?” She busted out laughing and I had to laugh myself.

“Are you sure you don’t want me to do that?” I grabbed her arm and pulled her right against my chest. Yup, just a few inches shorter than me. My hand cupped her cheek and before I could think twice, my lips brushed hers. Deep down, I know that was right, and yet, I still couldn’t shake that feeling that this wasn’t good. She moaned and in most cases that would have urged me on, but a taste was what I was leaving it at. I pulled away and she glanced up at me, her amber eyes shinning.

“No, I’m not sure.” It took her a second but she smiled.

“I better get you back to your friends. I don’t need a search party coming after me. Nor do I need calls from a jealous girlfriend.” We turned to walk back to the club, but I was lost in my thoughts, for I know I never mentioned a girlfriend.

“Will you be here tomorrow?” She glanced around the parking lot, looking for something, and than back at me.

“If you want me to be.” With that, she turned and started walking down the other side of the sidewalk.