- Text Size +
Rookie cop Nick Carter sat in the passanger seat of the squad car with his well seasoned partner, Brian Littrell. He'd been on the force for five years and he had seen a lot in his time. He was also able to learn quickly enough to preform his job with an expertise that guys who had been on the force for almost twenty years were just learning. Nick considered himself lucky to be partnered up with such a good cop. He would be able to learn a lot of things from him and it's like they say, you learn from experience.

"So kid," Brian said to Nick, "what made you want to be a cop?"

"At first it was 'cause of the fact that I watched entirely too much tv and thought it would be as dramatic as it was on tv in real life but then when I went to training and everything, I really understood for the first time what it was really all about, helping people," Nick answered.

"That's something good to learn early on. TV makes everything so over dramatic that people like yourself get involved for the wrong reasons and then end up not really enjoying their jobs, but I'm glad that you can see that even minor things can help people."

"Yeah, I just wanted to do something ya know? Leave my mark on something. So that when people look back at me, they have something worth looking back on. They'd know that I had a good life doing the right thing. Even if it was only writing parking tickets, at least it would be honest."

"Tell me about it. There are so many people out there that just don't care about society and just want to help themselves make a couple of bucks that they'll do anything that they have to to get what they want. It's ashame really. I've seen some people that otherwise would have had a good road ahead of them go down. Sometimes you just want to reach out and help them, but you can't. Either because they've gone so far into the negative that you just can't save them or they just don't want to be helped and you can't do anything about that."

"Do you ever think about them? The people that you couldn't help I mean," Nick asked.

"Yeah, all the time. There've been a bunch of kids killed and for awhile I thought that if I had just done something a little different, then that kid would still be alive, but I did what I could. I always do."

"You ever killed anyone?" Brian glanced over at Nick and laughed.

"That's not what this is all about kid," he replied.

"I know, but I was just asking. That's all."

"No, I haven't personally killed anyone but I've seen a lot of people killed," he answered.

"Does it hurt to see it?"

"Yeah it just gets you right here," he said putting his hand on his heart, "its even worse when that person didn't have to die. Some jerk was pissed off at the world and decided to take down everyone, understand?"

"Yeah. So this is a stressful job huh?"

"Very."

"You think I'm in over my head?"

"No, as long as this is what you really want then I think that you'll learn to deal with it, but if it does get to be too much, then I think that you shouldn't stay because someone might get hurt because you're too stressed out to think about anything."

"So what made you want to be a cop?" Nick asked.

"It's sort of the family legacy. My father was a cop, so was my grandfather. My cousin's a detective so law enforcement is something that I grew up with so I always wanted to do it and to tell you the truth, it's a great job."

"Were you forced into it cause it was like a family job?"

"No, the decision was mine to make. My father had told me that he would have been alright with the idea of me not wanting to become a cop because it was what made me happy. He's really supportive about me in that way.

"My mother wasn't really crazy about me doing this. She keeps thinking that something really bad is going to happen to me and there isn't anything that I can say to make her change her mind about it. My dad, well, he really doesn't care. I never was close to him really."

"Your mom's just looking out for you," Brian replied.

"I know, I just wish she would let me do what I want. This is what I want to do. Ya know, so she should be behind me. I mean I understand her being nervous but she doesn't have to let it get to her."

"Attention all cars," came the voice from the radio, Brian turned his attention to the radio as he continued to drive, "all officers in the area of Pelhm Parkway should immediatly respond to the site."

"Here you go kid, some action," Brian said as he turned the sirens on and they drove off into the direction of Pelhm Parkway, which was only meire moments away. Nick keep his eyes on the road in front of him, trying to see if he could see what had happened. It was took dark that he couldn't see anything. Though it didn't matter because they were there seconds later. Both Brian and Nick stepped out of the sqaud car and walked over into the scene.

"What happened here?" Brian asked one of the detectives.

"We have a white female, with a gun shot to the head. The gun was at a close range to her body. We've ruled out robbery because nothing was taken from her apartment but rape might have been the intention," he answered.
"Was there any sign of forced entry?"

"None so we're assuming that the victim knew who this man was."

"What have we got so far?"

"Nothing really. None of the neighbors heard or saw anything that might be able to help us. We have the body going off to forensics for testing and we have the super of the building get us survaillence of the building. That's assuming that the cameras cought this guy."

"Aren't there cameras in the main lobby?"

"Yes, but one of the nighbors said that the victim liked to keep her windows open just a crack, but she never locked them so the guy could have come up through the fire escape."

"Do you think anyone saw him coming up?"

"It's a possibility. We've already talked to the residents in the apartments below our victims and they didn't see or hear anything strange going on outside."

"Are they sure?"

"Yes, we've had people talking to them since we first arrived on the scene."

"Is there any press around? Do they know about this yet?"

"No. So far we've been able to keep this quiet. I doubt we'll be able to do that for much longer so we have to get moving," he responded.

"Alright, I guess you should go talk to them and tell them that we're still gathering information and not much is known at this point," Brian replied.

"That's what I intended on doing," he answered, "you and your partner should go check out the scene upstairs since I have the feeling that you are going to be highly involved in this case," he told him.

"Alright, thats a good idea. And by the way, officer Carter, this is detective Richardson, my cousin," Brian introduced.
"Nice meeting you detective," Nick answered as he shook his hand.

"You've got a good partner working with you," he replied.

"So they tell me."

"You two should head upstairs now and take a look around and see what the scene is like," he said as he walked off to the side.

"Alright you heard him Kid," Brian said as he walked towards the apartment building with Nick following closely behind him.