- Text Size +
Chapter 10

"Officer Littrell," Colleen said as Brian and Nick walked into the station once again, "Carl's results of the run on the computer are here. They're on you desk and he told me to tell you to take a look at them right away."

"Thank you, I will," Brian answered as he quickened his pace to his office. Nick followed quickly behind him. He wanted to know what kind of information that they had they which would require immediate attention. Swiftly Brian lifted up the file folder that sat on his desk. He opened it and started to look through the papers the folder held.

"So what do we have?" Nick asked egarly.

"You were right," Brian answered Nick, who looked at him in confussion.

"What?"

"Cheryl was planning to meet with some guy that she had met over the computer. They were suposed to meet tonight."

"So are you thinking that this guy showed up early to get a look at this girl?"

"Maybe, I don't know," Brian replied as he lifted the phone from the reciever and dialed a number, "Collen it's Officer Littrell, give Carl a call. Tell him to get in touch with me. Thank you."

"What?" Nick said again as Brian put the phone back down.

"I'm going to have him run a check on Doreen's computer to see what's there. Maybe they were talking to the same guy."

"I don't know...."

"They have a similar taste in men," Brian interupted, "they were both interested in McLean and besides, these internet maniacs don't attack only one person and leave it at that. They keep going until they're caught."

"Okay," Nick said admitting his defeat, "so what exactly do those e-mails say?"

"A lot of sexually suggestive subjects," Brian answered, "at least what I've skimmed through did anyway. Which isn't unsual because this is a sex crime."

"Do we look for the samething on Doreen's computer? She didn't seem like the type of person that did that sort of thing."

"People can do anything that they want on the internet. They can become whoever they want to be and that may have helped Doreen get involved in this. I can't say that for sure yet because I'm going to need a report from Carl so that I can have the facts."

"Then we trace where the e-mails came from," Nick said, causing Brian to nod. Seconds later the telephone rang.
"Carl?" Brian answered, "Look I need you to do a check on Doreen Spellman's computer and see what you can find there. We want to see if there is anything that we can use to connect the cases."

"Sure, I can head over there now," Carl replied.

"Thanks," Brian said and hung up the phone and looked up at Nick, "he's going to run over and do the check now. We should know who she was talking to soon."

"So what do we do for now?" Nick questioned.

"We go visit Mr. McLean again."

"Alright let's go," Nick replied as they walked out of the office. Quickly they went out to their squad car and entered it. Brian started up the car and soon began to speed down the street. Brian had put on the siren on so that they would be able to avoid traffic. It only took moments before they had arrived at the house once again. Both and Brian Nick stepped out of the car and looked towards the house. Once at the door step, Nick rang the bell. A few moments passed and no one had opened the door. Nick rang the bell again, hoping this time to get a responce.

"Can I help you officers?" a female voice asked.

"Do you know where Mr. McLean is?" Brian questioned.

"He went to go see his grandmother, she's been sick lately," she replied, "why?"

"We need to ask him a few questions that's all," Brian responded.

"Do you know where we might be able to find him?" Nick asked.

"Yeah, sure. Her house is about fifteen minutes away from here. You just go up that street there," she said motioning to the street, "and make a left five blocks up. It's the third house on the right."

"You know Mr. McLean well?" Brian asked curiously.

"Sure, he's lived in that house there for about..," she began pausing to think for a moment, "five years or so. About the same time that I moved in."

"How did you two become friends?"

"We just started talking once. Nothing serious. Then we became friends and I'd gone over to his grandmothers house with him several times because she's been sick in the past recently and she is such a kind woman that I wanted to help."

"Has Mr. McLean been acting strange lately?" Nick asked.

"Not that I noticed. The only thing that I did notice was that he was real upset about the girl that was murdered. I'd met her as well, great person. It's a shame. Is that what you're here to talk to him about? I don't know if he'd be any help because he kinda ignores everything but that's how he copes I've seen him do it before," she explained, "he pushes people away so that he can be home alone to sort things out for himself."

"Thank you ma'am," Brian replied as he extended his arm.

"Sure, anything that I can do to help," she answered as she took his hand. He nodded and then he and Nick headed back towards their car. Nick looked over at Brian who still had the keys in his hands.
"What do you think?"

"I don't know," Brian replied, "either he's genuinely upset or he's a good actor."

"Let's go to the grandmothers house and see what we can figure out there," Nick suggested. Brian nodded as he started up the car and started in the direction that the woman had told them. Like she explained, it was only a few minutes from where McLean lived. Brian pulled the car outside of the house that the woman had explained was his grandmothers and the two officers walked to the door and rang the bell.

"Oh, hello officers," AJ responded as he opened the door seconds later, "what do you need?"

"Cheryl Adams. You knew her?" Brian asked.

"Yes, why?" AJ asked, his voice shaky and nervous.

"She's dead."

"Shit," AJ cursed, "are you serious?"

"Yes and oddly enough, your name came up in our interrogation," Nick replied.

"She and I dated back in high school. We had a lot of the same friends," AJ explained, "a lot of shit happened. She was pregnant and miscarried we dated a little after that but it was too weird to stay together."

"Did you have anything to do with the miscarriage?" Nick asked bluntly.

"No!" AJ answered, obviously offended by what Nick had asked, "Granted that I wasn't ready to be a father but I will never kill a baby. Cheryl and I would have figured out what the right thing to do was, I'm sure of that."

"Was she talking about any new guy in her life? Some one that she just recently met?" Brian asked.

"No. Again, I don't like to get in my ex-girlfriends love lifes. There was nothing that I knew about, sorry."

"Alright, thank you Mr. McLean, we'll be sure to keep in touch," Nick replied as AJ finished his answer to the pervious question.

"Okay, anything I can do to help."