- Text Size +
Chapter 11

Brian ran his fingers through his hair as he walked through the station. It was his break, but he couldn't seem to get his mind off of the murders. He knew that McLean was involved in some way, but he just couldn't prove it. Everything that all the witnesses had told them had been good. They told them about how good of a person that he was. As much as Brian wanted to believe that, he couldn't fight off this gut feeling that he was having. Brian sighed as he opened the door to his office.

"Officer Littrell," Howie said as he saw Brian open the door.

"What are you doing here Mr. Dorough?" he questioned.

"I still want to help you guys you know?"

"We don't need your help as of right now," Brian replied.

"Come on, there has to be something that I can do," Howie pleaded.

"Well there isn't," Brian answered, "I'm sorry."

"I heard about the other murder," Howie replied.

"I'm sure you have."

"I've seen that other girl around before."

"Really?" Brian asked curiously.

"Yeah, she was AJ's girl for awhile," Howie explained, "I've seen her talking to my sister. I guess they got talking one day 'cause I know I've seen her before."

"So they had some kind of relationship? Your sister and the victim I mean."

"I guess so. Honestly, I didn't know her as well as I knew Doreen. I've known her for the longest, but I know that my sister at least had a general conversation with this other girl."

"Officer Littrell, the results of Carls scan of Spellmans computer are in," Colleen said as she walked into the Brians office.

"Thanks, I'll take a look at it," he replied as Colleen handed him a folder. She turned and walked out of the room.

"What were you looking for on her computer?"

"That information is classified," Brian answered as he flipped through the pages.

"How am I supposed to help if you aren't telling me anything?"

"You just tell us what you know. That's all that we need."

"Oh come on, you guys said that I could help you out," Howie stated.

"And you've been a big help in the investigation. We'll give you a call if we need to ask you any more questions."

"Officer, I was under the impression that I would be helping you for the entire case."

"Well I'm sorry about that missunderstanding."

"Bullshit, you knew that you were just going to ignore me once you got what you wanted."

"Did you honestly believe that we were going to let you get deeply involved in this case? It's our jobs to find answers and we have to do that any way that we can," Brian answered.

"Even if that means lying to the public?"

"We didn't lie to the public. You said that you wanted to help us, and you have been a big help and we thank you for your services."

"You wouldn't have the information that you have if I hadn't come along!"

"And what information is that?"

"Whatever it is that you're not telling me. You've found something and I think it might be because of what I've told you. Now are you going to tell me what that is or not?" Howie snapped. He never usually lost his temper, but this time was different. He had been lied to by the people that he had always believed that he could trust.

"I'm not authorized to tell you what that is," Brian answered. Howie looked at him, his anger clear, but he was able to restrain it.

"Come on. What do you think that I'm going to go out and tell the whole world everything? 'Cause that's crazy. From the beginning, the only thing that I wanted to do was help. So are you going to let me?"

"You have been a big part in our investigation..." Brian started but was quickly cut off.

"Fuck that! What the hell is wrong with you? You were fine with having me around in the beginning so why change that now? I am totally capable of taking care of myself and I have no intention in putting myself in a situation that I can't handle."

"I know what your intentions are," Brian stated, "but I also know that sometimes, you can't do anything about what's going on around you. I'm not going to willingly put a civilian in that sort of position and I'm sure that you can understand that."

"Yeah I do, but I'm not asking to go out with you guys. I just want to hang around here and help with this case." Brian looked at Howie, he was reluctant with letting him be so intimately involved with this case.

"This is a very dangerous cause. Potenital harm is a great risk."

"We've been over that before officer and I understand what the risks are. I just want to help. Now will you let me do that?"

"Fine."

"Thank you.."

"But let me warn you. If any information is leaked out I will hold you personally responsible and I will have you arrested, is that clear?"

"Crystal and I promise whatever you tell me doesn't leave the station," Howie replied.

"Good," Brian answered, "because trust me, I won't hesitate on pressing charges and having you arrested."

"I understand that completely."

"Good," Brian replied sternly.

"So what do we have?"

"We were looking on the computers to see if these girls were planning on meeting up with someone that they had met online," Brian answered reluctantly.

"You think that if they were talking to the same person that he would have killed them both?" Howie asked, a little confused.

"Yes. There are some people out there that kill for the thrill of it and that might be the kind of murderer that we have on our hands. We can't be too careful."

"Why would he just kill these people? Aren't there usually reasons behind murders?" Howie asked as the stared intently at officer Littrell.

"Thrill killers exist. They kill for the thrill, like I said, it's as simple as that. Then you have those people that have deteriated mentally and do it because they don't know right from wrong or have just lost all sence of reality."
"Have you ever come across anyone like that?"

"Not like this. I've seen some crazy shit. It's cases like these that make me glad that I got into this job so that I can protect the people that are innocent."

"Is there anything that I can do now?" Howie asked.

"No. I have to go over somethings and see if anything looked suspisious and not jump straight into action and scare off this guy."

"Yeah, I guess that makes sence."

"I'll let you know when we need you," Brian replied.