- Text Size +
Chapter 3

Nick yawned when he heard the alarm go off. He looked over at the clock which read 6AM. He was still a little tired but he knew that he had to get up for work. Slowly, he arose from the bed and walked into the bathroom and turned on the water in the shower. He looked over towards the bed to see Angela sleeping peacefully. After his shower, he was a little bit more relaxed but still worried about Angela.

Nick finished putting on his uniform when he felt a pair of arms coming around his waist. He smiled as he felt this. He knew it was Angela, she always did that if she was awake when he left. They rarely had the chance to say good-bye to each other in the morning without at least one of them having to run out quickly.

"I love you," she mumbled as her grip on his losened. A soft laugh escaped his lips because he knew that she was falling back to sleep. Not that he blamed her, he would love the chance to sleep just a little bit longer.

"Love you too babe," he replied and gentally kissed her cheek. She smiled with her eyes shut. He smiled back at her as she drifted back to sleep. Carefully he stood up from the bed so that he wouldn't wake her again. Nick yawned as he streched his arms. He was still a little tired. He hadn't gotten much sleep the night before because he kept thinking about the woman that they had found. Also being haunted with the thoughts that this might happen to someone that he loved wasn't helping either.

Nick walked through the small house that he and his girlfriend shared. It was a beautiful house despite its size. They had agreed that they didn't need a large house since it was just the two of them. Nick looked around the living room. His eyes moving from picture to picture. Many were of him and Angela, as well as his family and friends and her family and friends. Neither of their parents were thrilled by the fact that they had brought a house together but that bothered neither of them. They knew that their parents would soon realize that they were adults and there was no need to baby them.

Nicks eyes stopped when he came across a picture of him and Angela right before their high school prom. He was wearing the traditional black tux and she was wearing a long white dress with flowers made of glitter on it. He smiled remembering that night. It was great, they had so much fun. Angela and Nick were the definition of high school sweethearts. They started dating freshman year and they remained a couple through out high school and the entire time that she was in college and he decided to be come a cop.

Nick placed his hat on his head and sighed. He walked to the front door of the house. The sun was shinning brightly as he opened the door. As soon as he stepped outside, Brian was pulling up into his driveway.

"Morning," Nick called as he walked up to the squad car. Brian smiled and waved at him.

"Morning Kid," he replied as Nick opened the passanger side door.

"So is there anything new?" Nick asked as he put on his seat bealt.

"I had a guy I know speed up the process at the lab, they weren't able to find any DNA but they did back up our rape story. We also had guys out there all night doing questioning. We had some people undercover to see if we could get something that way but we got nothing," he replied.

"What do we do from here?" Nick asked as he looked over at Brian who had begun pulling the car out of the driveway.

"I don't know. Nothing else has come up and we don't have enough to find this guy. Oh, I also had that note that was found checked for prints. Only ones they found were mine and the other officers."

"Do you think this guy has a type? I mean do you think that he's going to strike only certain girls?" Nick asked.

"I don't know, but I hate to say it but I think we're going to have to wait to see if there is another rape before we can do anything. We could use the new information to help us get some kind of idea, but other than that, there's really nothing else that we can do."

"Maybe we over looked something," Nick thought, not wanting to see another girl become another statistic. He didn't want there to be another rape.

"We have a good team, they did what they could. They took everything into consideration, they couldn't find a thing," Brian assured him.

"So what are we doing today?"

"I had someone get me some adresses of this girls family. Maybe they might have some thing that could help us," he told Nick, "like maybe they noticed someone following her or something."

"So we have an ID on the girl?" Nick asked.

"Yeah, her name was Doreen Spellmen. She was twenty-three."

"Wow, a year older than Angela..." Nick mumbled to himself.

"Who?" Brian asked.

"My girlfriend," he replied, "her name's Angela. She's twenty-two, I just got a little nervous thats all."

"She'll be fine," Brian promised, "nothings going to happen to her. I called to have a squad car drive by your house from time to time."

"You didn't have to do that," Nick told him.

"I know but I thought it would make you feel a little better about leaving her there alone. I still send cars over to check on my wife," Brian confessed, "I told you that last night. You just want to make sure that the innocent are safe and that's okay."

"Did your wife like the idea?" Nick asked.

"Not really. She was like B, I'm fine you don't need to get all crazy about it but I felt the need to. I thought that there was a chance that I might have busted someone that wanted to have revenge and would go after her," Brian explained, "she thought I was crazy but still, I made sure that she was safe. Our baby was just born so I started to send cars over there again, just to be safe."

"Boy or girl?"

"Boy," Brian answered, smiling.

"Think he'll be a cop too?"

"Who knows, but whatever he wants, I'll support him and that's all that matters," Brian explained as he quickly glanced over to look at Nick.

"Yeah, but it's almost like I can see you being cheif of police or something and you have your son there with you. I don't know why, but thats what I think," Nick told him.

"Hey, whatever happens, happens."

"Yeah, but doesn't part of you want him to be a cop?"

"Of course, but if that's not what he wants then I'm not going to force it on him. I mean would you like it if your parents forced a lifestyle on to you? Of course not, you know what's best for you so you made your decision."

"So," Nick said changing the subject, "who are we going to see?"

"First we gotta get punched in kid then we're goin to talk to some people. Her parents, relatives and some friends and see if we can find anything."