- Text Size +
Chapter 4

Nick felt his heart begin to drop as they pulled into the driveway of the victims parents house. They'd already been informed of their daughters death, but Nick still wasn't prepared to talk to them. To see the sadness brought upon then to suddenly by all of this. He just kept thinking that something like this was going to happen to someone that he loved. He could imagine his parents saddened by their loss. His mother would have been a complete wreck. Tears would be streaming rapidly. His father would be completely angered and ready to go out and take his own vengence on the death of his daughter.

Nick shook the thoughts from his head as he stepped out of the car. He was going to have to learn to not bring his personal life into his work life. Eventually, it was going to cause a serious affect on how well he does his job. Also, he didn't want his personal information released to people that he didn't know out of fear that someone might want to use it to hurt someone that he loves.

Taking his mind off of everything that he was thinking, he followed Brian to the front door of the house. Pushing all of his thoughts from his mind, he began thinking about the task before him. They were trying to catch a murderer before it was too late and another innocent life was lost. No one should have to suffer like these people have. Brian rang the bell and quickly glanced over at Nick as if to see if he was ready for what was about to happen. Nick nodded to show that he was.

Moments later, the victims devistated mother arrived at the door. It took everything that Nick had to remain calm and collected. Maintaining a level of profesionalism was an important aspect of being a cop and he wasn't about to lose any respect that he had on his second day on the job.

"Good morning, ma'am," Brian greeted, "we're sorry to bother you in your time of grieving, but we would like to as you a few questions about your daughter."

"Yes, come in," she answered using a tissue to brush away her tears.

"We know your pain is still fresh, but we need to ask you some things to help find the guy that did this to your daughter," Brian explained as he and Nick took a seat in the living room with the grieving mother openly sobbing.

"Would you gentalman like anything?" she asked polietly.

"No thank you," Brian replied, "by the way, I'm officer Littrell and this is my partner, officer Carter, we're incharge of your daughters case. Did you notice anything strange about your daughters behavor? Was she doing anything out of the ordinary?"

"No, as far as I could tell, everything was just fine," she answered after stopping to think about it for a moment.

"Was there anyone new in her life? Or did her taste in friends begin to change? Was she hanging out with a different crowd?" Brian asked.

"No she has the same best friend she had since she was younger. They just got together a few days ago."

"Were there any angry ex-boyfriends or someone like that who might want to hurt your daughter?"

"No, she never got involved with guys like that. She was a very good judge of character," he mother explained, visibly trying to remain calm and to carefully think through her answers. Nick really admired her courage to speak to them like she was. He would be a complete mess if the police came knocking at his door and asking him questions like this.

"Thank you ma'am," Brian replied as he stood up, "we're doing everything that we can to catch the man that did this to your daughter."

"Thank you officer," she answered as she shook Brians hand and then Nicks.

"We're sorry for your loss," Nick said for the first time. She closed her eyes tightly and nodded her head. Nick and Brian walked towards the front door, not knowing much more than they did when they arrived. The victims mother saw them to the door and said nothing more than good-bye.

"We should go talk to the best friend," Brian told Nick as they entered the car, "she might know more than Doreens mother did. Kids don't always tell their parents everything."

"Yeah," Nick replied as he buckled his seatbelt.

"Nick are you alright? Can you handle this case or do you think I should talk to someone about you being reassigned?" Brian asked slightly concerned.

"I'm fine," Nick replied, "I just wasn't sure what to expect. This is all kinda new to me."

"Aright but are you sure you're going to be able to work on this case? I need to know that."

"Yeah, I just need to learn how to deal with everything alright? Jive give me some time."

"Okay, just don't take too much time. It might end up hurting you and the case as well," Brian warned as he backed the car out of the driveway. Nick leaned his head back against the seat and closed his eyes.

"How do you do this day in and day out without getting upset over everything?" Nick asked, keeping his eyes closed.

"You learn quickly not to let your emotions get involved. There've been several times where I just wanted to reach out and just cry right along with them, but you just can't," Brian answered, "it's hard sometimes, I know, but you'll learn how to handle things, trust me."

"I just keep thinking that I'm really going to mess things up bad," Nick confesssed.

"Don't worry, you won't. You're always going to have someone with you who can help you, you know? This really isn't a job that can or have to do on your own," Brian explained.

"Yeah I know," Nick answered as he looked over at Brian, "I just have to learn."

"And you will. I remember going through exactly what you are," Brian told Nick, "so many things were going on at once, it was hard. First you have to see the bodies and you just can't help but to be a little scared. It's a normal reaction. Then you have all this pressure on your shoulders to find the person that did it. The first time is always the hardest."

"I can't see you struggling," Nick replied, "you know how to handle everything."

"It comes with experience," Brian explained, "this is very hard job and everyone at some time struggles over something. It comes with the territory."

"We're going to get this guy right?"

"Haven't missed one yet," Brian answered.

"What was it like when you caught your first criminal? Were you scared or anything?"

"It's a good feeling knowing that you captured someone that hurt someone else. It's like you know justice is being served accordingly. You'll see when we find this guy. Everything that you're worring about will be put to rest because you know you've done something to stop this from happening to anyone else," Brian explained to Nick. Nick nodded, understanding everything that Brian was telling him. It made a lot of sence. Everything he said did, but it was like he said, he knew all of this from experience. He'd been there done that. Nick knew he was in good hands.