- Text Size +
Chapter 6

Nick glanced back at Howie who had been silent for the entire ride. He was looking straight foward, out through the front window. Turning his attention back to the window before him, Nick began to think about what was going to happen from this point. Maybe this could have been the break that they've been looking for. Someone that Howie lead them to could have been the killer and they would be able to arrest the guy and put this entire nightmare to rest.

Soon they arrived back at the station, though Nick wasn't sure why they had come back there right now. They had Howie to help them, why would they have to go to the station? Brian knew what he was doing, that Nick was sure of. Though he was unsure of what was going to happen once they went inside the building.

"Come with us," Brian said as he opened his door and reached to open the back door which couldn't be opened from the inside. Howie stepped out, still not saying a word. He was probably just as unsure of what was going to happen as Nick was.

Once they were inside the station, they walked quickly to Brians office. They were only stopped when detective Richardson questioned them about Howie. Brian said that he had been brought in for questioning but was not a suspect. Detective Richardson was a little unsure of Brians explaination, but accepted it nonetheless.

It only took about a matter of two minutes before they were safely in Brians office. Brian shut the door and looked over at the two men that were in his office. They were so different from each other. Nick was very tall, blond blue eyes and a light complection. While Howie was quiet short, about Brian's height, brown eyes and hair and a medium complection. They were a far cry from each other, but they were both there to help and that's what mattered.

"Here's the thing," Brian said stepping fully into his office, "I don't want to put you in any danger. I made that clear from the get go. But there are somethings that I need to talk to you about. If your leads do bring us to the killer then we might have some problems."

"Meaning?" Howie asked questioningly.

"Meaning that this person might come after you as a sort of revenge so Witness Protection Programs are open to you. I'm not saying that you're going to need it, I highly doubt it personally, but I just want to make sure you're aware of the choices that you have if anything was to happen. Officer Carter and I will be keeping in touch with you through the course of this investigation. You may or may not be subject to top secret information, but incase you are, you are not to discuss it with anyone. Not April, no one," Brian explained, "understand?"

"Yeah," Howie answered after a moment.

"Are you sure that you still want to be involved in this investigation?" Brian asked.

"Yes, I want to do something to help," he answered.

"So why don't you become a cop or something?" Nick suggested.

"I've wanted to, but my family is really afraid by the idea so I just decided that my family is the most important to me and I wouldn't do it," he responded.

"Oh."

"Well this is your chance to safely help us. Now we're going to hit the road again in a little while. I want you to come up with the names and as many addresses as you can and we'll go to see those people," Brian told Howie, "I'm going to leave you here for a few minutes to think about it."

"Okay," Howie answered as Brian walked out of the door and through the halls until he reached his cousins office. He knocked at the door and he was soon greeted by his cousin.

"Kev," Brian said, "I just want to talk to you about that guy that you saw me bring in.."

"It's your investigation Brian," he answered as Brian walked in and he shut the door behind him. Brian turned to face Kevin and sighed.

"He's the victims best friends sister and he knew a lot of the people who were in contact with Doreen, he's in my office right now, writing out addresses."

"I know you know what you're doing and that's why I trust you. Do anything that you can to catch this guy. If that means getting help, there's nothing wrong with that. Who know's this guy might even lead you and Nick right to the killer," Kevin explained.

"When we came in you looked at us a little uneasy. I just wanted to let you know what we were doing so that you wouldn't have to worry about it or think that we made an arrest."

"What's gotten into you Brian? You've never behaved like this before?"

"Nothing, I just some of Nicks worries are rubbing off on me, but don't worry, it won't get in the way of the investigation," Brian assured him.

"So how's it going with Nick? How's he doing?"

"Good, he really seems to have a grip on things already," Brian answered, "he's a good kid."

"Yeah he is. I knew that he was assigned a good partner so I wasn't worried about him that much. So what do you think of his chances?"

"I think he has a real good shot. He really seems dedicated to the job and he learns quickly. He's going to do fine around here."

"Good," Kevin replied, "I ask because I heard about the cars asked to check on his house every so oftern."

"Oh," Brian said, "that was my doing. He was kind of nervous that something might happen and I just wanted him to feel sure that nothing was actually going to. I didn't ask anyone to go out of there way. Just to look if they drove by."

"I know, it's alright. So how's the baby?"

"Great. He's been keeping us up, though. That's why I'm acting differently if that's what you're thinking."

"Just looking after you cuz."

"I know you are. I'm going to go back to my office now and see if we came up with anything useful," Brian informed him.

"Alright, see you later Bri." Brian walked out of Kevins office and walked back towards his own. He'd just been tired for the past few days, that's all it was. That's why his nerves were all worked up like they were. It was from being to tired. He'd be fine once he had some rest.

"So what do we have?" Brian asked as he opened the door to his office. Nick and Howie looked up at him as he stepped in.

"Well, a friend of mine actually. He and Doreen dated for a while, but they broke up. They stayed friends though," Howie explained.

"What's his name?" Brian asked.

"AJ," he answered.

"Alright, let's go see this guy," Brian announced. Nick nodded and he and Brian walked out of the office, leaving Howie.
"Hey, what about me?" he asked, stopping Nick and Brian.

"Stay here and come up with some more names," Brian told him, "we'll be back in a few minutes. Stay out of trouble." Howie nodded and Brian and Nick started to walk out of the station once again. Nick sighed as he and Brian entered the squard car again. He wasn't sure why Howie couldn't come. They weren't going to make an arrest, there was just no way. This guy would have to had confessed to it and proved that he did it which seemed highly unlikey of the killer that they were searching for.

"So what do you think we're going to get off of this guy?" Nick asked as they took off towards the house indicated on the paper.

"I have no idea, but lets hope that it's something." It only took them a few minutes to arrive at the mans house. He didn't live too far away from the station. Brian and Nick stepped out of their car and walked towards the door and rang the bell. Nick looked over at Brian, he looked extremely tired. Probably from stress.

"Can I help you fellows?" the man asked as he opened his door.

"Are you AJ?" Brian asked.

"Yes I am. What can I do for you?" he replied. Brian looked at him. Covered in tattoos and his hair was dyed a bright blue. Far from the type of person Brian thought that Doreen would hang out. She seemed to appear that she had different taste in people.

"We'd like to ask you a few questions," Nick told him. Brian nodded and AJ looked at the two of them.

"Sure, but about what?" he asked.

"The death of Doreen Spellman," Brian informed him. AJ stood there as he appeared to be shocked by what he had just told him.

"What happened to her? I just talked to her the other day, we were going to go hang out," he said to them.

"Do you know of anything strange that was going on in her life?" Brian asked, jumping to the point of the reason that they had come.

"No, she seemed fine the last time I talked to her," he answered coolly, "she was her same happy self. She didn't seem to be worried about a damn thing."

"Why don't you tell me about your relationship with the victim?" Nick asked, taking a quick glance at Brian from the corner of his eye.

"We dated for a while, but we broke up and decided to stay friends," he explained.

"What caused the break up?"

"Her parents weren't too crazy about me. She and her mother had a couple arguements about me some time ago. So I decided that I didn't want to break up their relationship."

"Why did you stay friends then?"

"We had a good friendship. She was a really nice girl. I liked her a lot, it's ashame what happened to her," AJ answered.

"You didn't answer my question, why did you stay friends?" Nick asked again hoping that this time AJ would give him a better answer.

"Because there wasn't anything bad between the two of us. We got along real good. There was a real nice relationship there," he answered, "there was no reason for us to hate each other and not be friends."

"So there wasn't any hate between the two of you?"

"Nope none. We both have moved on from that relationship," AJ answered, "we've seen other people and stuff like that."

"Do you have any idea of who she might have gone out with?"

"No, I may be her friend but that doesn't mean I keep constant tabs on the girl. She's her own woman, she can do her own thing."

"She never mentioned anything to you about any of her relationships?"

"No, we always kept that stuff on a don't ask don't tell kinda deal so I just never asked so she never told me anything," he explained.

"Alright, thank you for talking with us, we will be keeping in touch," Nick replied as he and Brian turned back to the squad car. AJ shut the door as they walked away from his house. Nick looked over at Brian.

"Something's up here," Nick commented.

"I don't know but we'll still keep an eye on him," Brian responded as they opened the doors to the car and entered it. Another murder was going to occur soon, they could both feel it, but they just weren't sure when and where it was going to happen.