- Text Size +
Chapter 7

Howie sat in one of the chairs in Brians office. He'd told them about everyone that he could think of. None of the people that he knew were murderers though. They were just too good of people. There was no way that they would be capable of taking the life of another human. On the other hand, Howie just hoped that talking to these people would help lead them to the killer. Through process of elimination or something. These people might have clues and not even know it, at least that's what he wanted.

He wasn't sure what was taking the two of them so long. They probably just wanted to conduct this investigavtion in the best way that they could. They were going to get all the information they could out of everyone. That was probably it. For some reason, Howie felt weird sitting in the police station like this. It was like he was there for some reason other than to help.

"Hello," a sudden voice came from the door. Howie looked up to see the officer that had stopped the other two officers when they had first arrived.

"Hello," Howie replied. He was hoping that he didn't think that he was arrested in connection with Doreens death or anything like that.

"I'm Dectective Kevin Richardson," he replied, extending his arm.

"Howie Dorough," he answered, also extending his arm for a friendly handshake.

"I hear that you want to help my cousin out in this case," Kevin said.

"Yeah, I just want to do what I can. I figured I could try by giving them some addresses of people that they could talk to," Howie responded. Kevin nodded.

"We've always appriciated participation from the public," he told Howie, "I'm glad that you want to do something. That you're willing to step up and do something right."

"I can't see why people want to hurt other people," Howie said, "I've always been a nice person and I just can't understand what thoughts these crazy people had before they did these things that they did."

"And you'll never know. These are some sick people," Kevin answered, "I tired to understand how their minds work when I first started, but after a while, and seeing that I wasn't getting anywhere, I figured that it was time to move on." Kevin looked over at Howie. He wasn't really sure why he was in there checking on him. He trusted Brian because he knew what he was doing. Curisioty probably took over him and that's why he decided to come and talk to Howie.

"So were you close to the victim?" Kevin asked.

"She was my younger sisters best friend, she was like a little sister to me," Howie explained, "I knew her just about her entire life."

"How's your sister taking it?"

"I'm not really sure. She hides it from everyone. She trys to make it look like she's strong and that she's okay with all of this but it's hurting her. I can see it in her eyes."

"Have you tried talking to her?"

"Yeah, she won't tell me anything though. I just figure give her some time to take everything in and then maybe she'll want to talk."

"Maybe, but don't let her hold in anything too long because then she may never talk about it and that's what she needs to do right now. Trust me, I've seen this happen again and again. People bottle up their emotions and then they just become so powerful that they just can't hold on any more and the break."

"My sister is a strong woman, I think she'll pull through."

"I'm not saying that she isn't. Just sometimes this a the hard effect on even the strongest and toughest. Just keep an eye on her."

"Always do," Howie answered.

"So how long are you going to be helping my cousin?" Kevin asked.

"For as long as he wants me to or as long as I can be helpful. I don't want to get in the way," Howie replied, "I don't want to mess anything up."

"I'm sure you won't do anything wrong and I'm sure that Bri..... Officer Littrell won't mind having you around."

"I just want to do the right thing," Howie replied. Kevin smiled and nodded.

"And you are. Not a lot of people are willing to talk to the police even if what they're telling them isn't serious. They think that they might get hurt but what they don't realize is that we take care of the people who help us. We look after them."
"That's good to know," Howie answered.

"I have to get back to work," Kevin said, "have a good day."

"You too," Howie replied as Kevin walked out of the office. Howie started to look around the office again. He was bored and didn't know what else to do. He hoped that officer Carter and Littrell had found something that they could use in the case. He didn't want to end up being a waste of time. Howie stood up and walked over to the window and watched as the city functioned as it always had. Nothing was ever able to stop New York and there wasn't anything that could pull a New Yorker down.

"Mr. Dorough," officer Littrell said as he opened the door to his office and saw Howie staring through the window, "we checked out that guy you told us about and something tells me that he knows more than he's telling us."

"AJ?" Howie asked.

"Yeah," Nick answered, "there was just something about him. He's not a suspect because we don't have anything to hold him by. Besides, it's probably just nothing."

"I always thought he seemed okay," Howie informed them, "he didn't seem like a bad guy."

"That's the thing, sometimes killers aren't considered to be that 'type' if you know what I mean," Brian explained, "they appear to everyone as if they were just a regular person. I'm not saying that this guy did it. I'm just saying, don't always think that just because someone may seem to be nice or quiet, that doesn't mean that they aren't capable of doing this sort of thing."

"So what's going to happen now?" Howie asked.

"I really don't know. There's no evidence that we can use, there are no witnesses and nobody saw anything. I'd hate to say it but I think that we're going to have to wait for this guy to stike again before we can do anything," Brian answered reluctantly.