- Text Size +
Chapter 8

Nick walked slowly into the living room where Angela had fallen asleep the night before. He didn't have the heart to wake her to move her into the bed room. He smiled when he saw that she was still peacefully sleeping on the couch. It had been just over a week since the rape/homiside had occured and he and Brian had no information as to who had killed Doreen. Though they were slightly relieved that another murder hadn't occured, it made them uneasy because they knew that this guy was planing his next attack.

Without making a sound Nick opened the front door and saw Brian sitting in the squad car in the driveway. He walked up to the car without saying anything. When Nick opened the car door, Brian looked over at him with some sadness in his eyes that Nick couldn't understand the reason. Nick buckeled his seat belt and Brian looked back over at Nick.
"There was another murder last night," Brian informed him.

"I figured that by the way that you were acting," Nick told him, "we knew it was going to happen sooner or later right?"
"We're going to head right over to the scene and check things out. Maybe this time we can find something that we can use," Brian replied as he quickly pulled the car out of Nicks drive way and towards the latest victims house. Nothing more was said between the two of them. There just wasn't anything that could be said. It was only a matter of moments before Nick and Brian arrived at the scene.

The two officers stepped out of their car and started walking towards the building where they had found the latest victim. They walked past the crowd of people that had gathered outside of the building to see what happened. Hoping to maybe have the chance to be on television. Brian and Nick continued to walk until they were far enough away from the crowd so that they could talk with the officers that had been there before them and not have any information leak out.

"What do we have?" Brian asked as he approached a few of his fellow officers.

"Another young woman raped then murdered," he answered.

"Do you think it was the same guy from before?"

"Most likely. We have some guys checking the place out. They should have something soon."

"Was there any forced entry?"

"None. Either the victim knew him or was just trying to be a good citizen."

"My partner and I are going to take a look upstairs," Brian informed the officer who nodded in responce. Brian and Nick took off towards the building, hoping this time to find something that would help them put this guy behind bars. They entered the building to see their colleagues working quickly in order to catch the prepetrator. They walked towards the apartment door that was open and swarming with police activity.

"So what do we have?" Brian asked as he walked into the apartment.

"A female who appears to be in her early twenties, raped and then shot from a close range," the officer informed Brian.

"No one saw or heard anything?"

"Apparently not. The guy might have used a silencer on his gun. There doesn't appear to have been a struggle which leads me to believe that the victim might have known her killer. Or it might have just been a surprise attack. Any number of things could have happened to her."

"Excuse me officers, but we found this," another officer said as he walked up to the three of them, holding a piece of paper in his hands.

"Officer Littrell, since your incharge," the other officer said to Brian. He reached his hand out and looked at the paper which read:
"The Game is getting deeper
The stakes are higher
We've reached a new level
I'm still in control
It's your move now
What are you going to do?"

"It's another one of those poems, like the one that was found at the first murder," Brian announced after he'd read through it, "these murders are connected because we didn't release any information about the letter or even that one existed."

"At least we know that we're looking for the same guy," the other officer mentioned.

"Yeah but we need to figure out who this guy is," Nick replied, "maybe we'll find something here that we didn't at the other scene."

"Maybe," Brian answered, "but if this guy knows what he's doing, which I believe that he does, he'll cover his tracks for as long as he wants to before deciding that he wants to leave us something."

"So that means he'll actually want to be caught?" Nick asked confussed.

"Yes, it's happened before and it's going to happen again."

"Is there an ID on the victim?" Nick asked changing the subject.

"We're working on that right now. We should know soon, there's most likely some sort of ID in the house. We'll let you guys know as soon as we find something."

"Alright, we're just going to have a look around," Brian replied.

"Okay officer," he answered as he stepped away from Brian and Nick. Nick looked over at Brian and he glanced back at him.

"What are we going to look for?" Nick asked.

"I don't know but I have a feeling that we'll know as soon as we find it," Brian explained. Nick nodded and they walked futher into the house. Nick froze at the familiar scene that lay before him. The life-less, half naked, body of a young woman was laying on the floor surrounded by a pool of her own blood. Nicks eyes remaind fixed on the body. He couldn't help but wonder what this guy was like. He was probably some old balding guy who met these women on the internet. For some reason, that was the idea that played in his mind. It seemed to be the most likely reason. After meeting the women and being turned down by them, he became angry and attacked.

"Carter," Brian said as he walked into the room and behind Nick.

"Yeah," Nick replied, never taking his eyes off of the body.

"Are you alright?"

"Yeah I was just thinking. Maybe these women met these guys on the internet. That seems like a lodgical explaination, at least I think so. This guy probably came to see these women but was rejected so he killed them," Nick said, retelling his thoughts, "or maybe murder and rape was his intention."

"Sounds like a good idea to me. I'll have someone check into it," Brian replied as he walked away from Nick. Nick took a deep breath and turned away from the body. It broke his heart to see these beautiful young women dead, murdered.

"Officer, we have an ID on the victim," one of the other officers said to Nick.

"Okay, who was she?"

"Her name was Cheryl Adams, she was twenty-four," he answered.

"Alright, inform officer Littrell," Nick replied.

"Yes sir," he said as he walked off towards the direction that Brian had gone. Nicks eyes once again found themselves on the body of the woman that lay face down on the floor. It was then that he made a promise to himself. He promised that he would not rest until this guy was arrested.