- Text Size +
Story Notes:
I started this story many years ago and never finished writing it. I guess there's no time like the present! :o) That was a least 8 years ago. I hope my writing is a little more mature now! Please leave reviews! Any comments are greatly appreciated!
Charlene loved to perform. She had been performing in some way since before she could remember. Her friends were always telling her to take her performing to the next level; professional. But she always told them the same thing; that she would only do it if she could do it with her friends. Now was one of those times. She was shopping at the mall with her best friends Katie and Courtney. She thought of them as her sisters.

"Char," Courtney said, "Pursue your dream! It's what you wanna do with your life, you shouldn't be worrying about me and Kt."

"No Way!" she replied while looking at a rack of shirts, "you and KT have been doing this with me ever since we met at that dance competition when we were 10 years old and had to team up. I'm not doing this unless you two do it with me."

With this, Kt started talking. "So, you're saying that you'll do it if we do it with you?"

"Exactly!" Char replied. "It's about time you two finally got it into your heads."

Courtney looked at Kt, confused. Kt gave her a 'play-along-with-this' look.

"So, you'll go with the next chance you get if we do it too?" Kt asked.

"Yep!" she replied.

"Okay!" Kt said excitedly, "that settles it!"

"Settles what?!" Char and Courtney asked in unison.

"That we're going to enter the dance competition that's going on today," she told them.

"What competition?" Char asked.

"I just saw a poster outside that was advertising a dance competition," she explained. "There's a label that's looking for dancers."

"When's the competition?" Courtney asked.

Kt looked at her watch; "Exactly two and a half hours from now."

"What?!" they both asked in surprise.

"We don't have a dance to do, and we have NO music!" Char told them.

"Yes we do," Kt told her. "We're doing that dance you made up last week to Nelly's Country Grammar."

"No way!" Char replied. "I don't have anything to wear!"

"That's why we're going shopping!" she told her.

"Fine," Char told Kt. "I'll do it."

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

They went shopping throughout the mall. They ended up buying dark blue baggy jeans and white wifebeaters. They all got leather boots to wear also. Kt and Courtney got matching black ones that had blue flames running up them, and Char ended up in her favorite store where she got black leather boots that had normal flames running up them and buckled on the side. They weighed 6 1/2 pounds each.

"How are you gonna dance in those?" Kt asked.

"You're gonna kill yourself!" Courtney added.

"No I won't," she told them. "If I can dance in 4 inch heels, I can dance in these. Now, how long do we have left?"

"20 minutes," Kt told them.

"Well," Char said, "we better go then."

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

They walked to the other end of the mall where the competition was being held. Kt had just gotten her Nelly CD out of her car. They looked around in awe at the amount of people that were there to try out.

"There is no way we're gonna be able to pull this one off," Char said as she continued to look around.

"Well," Courtney added, "someone's gotta win! Let's do this!"

They walked up to a table where you had to sign your names saying you were there to 'show your stuff'.

Char, Kt, and Courtney signed the paper and went to sit down. They made random conversation as they waited for their turn. Suddenly they heard, "Charlene, KT, and Courtney! You're up!"

"Here we go..." Courtney said as they walked through the door into a room where they would be able to stretch out.

"That was a good sign," Char said.

"What was?" Courtney asked.

"We're #69!" she explained.

"Char!" Kt and Courtney exclaimed in unison. They laughed. They came to the room where they would stretch out at. Char stopped in her tracks as soon as they shut the door.

"Oh My Gosh!" she squealed, "NO WAY!"

"No way what?" Courtney asked her.

Char pointed at what she had seen. On the wall was a huge banner that read, "Jive Records Presents-Show Your Stuff". She turned to look at her friends. All she could say was, "Fatima."

"Fatima? What about her?" Kt asked.

"Fatima, Jive Records," she told them.

"What?" Courtney asked.

"Fatima works for Jive Records!" Char started freaking out. "What if she's judging our dance?! She's my idol!"

"Yeah," Courtney said, "we know you idolize her."

"I don't know if I can do this," Char complained.

"Too late," Kt told her. "We're up!"

"Oh No!" Char whined.

They made their way into the performance room.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

The 3 girls stood in the middle of the floor. Char was looking at her friends nervously. Her idol, Fatima, would be judging their dance.

"You can do this!" Courtney whispered.

Char smiled as she watched one of the music guys start the music.

The three girls concentrated hard on their dancing. At different times they had all glanced at Fatima. She was obviously impressed by the smile on her face. The three girls smiled at each other as they all realized they might be able to pull it off. They had many thoughts running through their minds.

'What's gonna happen if we actually pull this off?! It would be the best thing that's ever happened to me! I might even get to meet some Hott Hollywood guys,' Char thought excitedly.

'Note to self...' Katie thought, 'Thank Char for convincing me to get these shoes. I love them!'

'One, Two, Three,' Courtney counted to herself.

The song finally ended and they ended their dance. Fatima stood up and clapped.

"That was very impressive, girls!" she commented. "Couldn't have done better myself."

Char smiled at this comment. 'She thinks the dance I made up is up to her level! Ohmigosh!'

Fatima continued, "You'll have to teach me that at our practice next week."

"You're joking, right?" Kt asked.

"NO WAY!" Courtney said. They both looked at Char, waiting for her to say something. Char didn't know what to say, but looked like she was on the verge of tears. Then they all started freaking out after it had sunk in that they had won.

After a while, they settled down and had to sign a few contracts. They said 'goodbye' to everyone and left to go home and celebrate.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

The 3 girls sat in Charlene's living room and talked excitedly.

"The look on Char's face!" Kt laughed, "I thought she was gonna cry!" Courtney joined in laughing.

"Hey!" Char chimed in. "It ain't funny!"

"Uh-hu..." they said, "sure."

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

They talked for 45 minutes until Char decided she wanted to watch a movie. It was her favorite; A Night at the Roxbury. When the movie was done, they decided they should get some sleep before their big day tomorrow. Kt and Courtney drank the last of their Pepsi's and got their stuff ready to leave.

"See ya tomorrow!" Courtney yelled as she walked out the door.

"Bye Cookie!" they yelled after her.

Kt stayed a few minutes to help Char clean up the huge popcorn mess they had made. Before she left, Char thanked Kt. "Thanks a lot, Kt," Char said. "We wouldn't have gotten this far if you hadn't made me do it."

"Don't mention it," Kt smiled. "I gotta thank you for convincing me to get these shoes. They rock!"

Char laughed: "Don't mention it."

Kt left after a few more minutes of talking. "See ya at 9!" she said.

"Bye Kt!" Char replied.