- Text Size +
"Ohmigosh! My little brothers' gonna die!" Nick cried into Courtney's shoulder.

"It's okay, baby," Courtney comforted him, "he's gonna be fine." 'At least I hope so,' she thought.

Everyone was gathered in a Los Angeles hospital waiting room. They had flown out to California as soon as they got the news. The plane ride had been a nightmare. Nick was a wreck the whole way there.

Brian sighed as he watched his best friend break down into sobs. Char looked over from where she was sitting next to A.J. as she heard him sigh; they smiled at each other. The fact that her and A.J. was a couple hadn't gotten out yet. The room was in silence, except for Nick crying and Courtney trying to calm him down, until A.J. spoke up.

"I need a drink ya'll, anyone coming with me?"

Everyone except Char replied saying that they were okay for now. A.J. looked at Char; "You coming babe?"

"Yeah," she replied as she took his outstretched hand into hers. As they walked out of the room hand-in-hand, Kevin, Brian, and Howie looked at each other with a 'what-the-hell-was-that' look on their faces.

Kt and Courtney were doing the same thing. "We'll talk to Char about it later," Kt mouthed to Courtney. Courtney nodded before she went back to comforting Nick.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

A.J. took his water from the vending machine and sat down at a table in the back of the hospital cafeteria. He watched Char as she moved closer towards him. She sat down on the opposite side of the table. A.J. ran his foot up and down her leg as they sat in silence.

"I hope Aaron gets through this," Char said.

"So do I."

"Even though I don't even know him, I still feel bad for Nick and his family."

"Aaron's great. The typical child."

Char laughed; "From what I've heard, he's just like Nick."

"Those two are so close. They might as well be twins. Nick loves him SO much."

They sat quietly for another 10 minutes until they decided to go back to the waiting room.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Everyone looked up as they heard the door open. They saw Char and A.J. walk in. Char walked straight towards Nick and Courtney while A.J. sat down beside Howie.

"How ya doin'?" Char asked as she put her hand on his back and knelt down in front of him.

Nick looked up at her with red, puffy eyes from crying. He didn't speak but started crying again. Char let him cry into her shoulder. Char looked up at Courtney who also had tears in her eyes.

"Come here, Cookie," Char said. Courtney went to Char and was embraced in a hug.

"Courtney, baby," Nick said as he saw Courtney's tears, "Why are you crying?"

"Coz you are," she managed to get out.

"Oh baby..." he said as he took her in his arms, "Come here."

Char got tears in her eyes as she watched them. After a few seconds she turned to sit down but there wasn't any open seats.

'This must be the good thing about guys!' Char laughed to herself as she walked over to A.J., 'You can sit on 'em!'

A.J. put his hands on her waist as she sat on his lap, then moved them around to her stomach.

"Don't get comfortable, Char," Kt walked up to them, "I gotta talk to you."

"I'll be right back," Char said before kissing A.J.'s cheek and leaving the room with Kt.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

"What's up?" Char asked Kt. They were walking the halls of the hospital.

"Have I completely missed something?" Kt asked, "Or are you and A.J. really close all of a sudden?"

"You've missed something."

"Well... are you gonna tell me what it is or are ya just gonna keep it a secret?"

"As of last night, A.J. and I are a couple."

Kt smiled before hugging Char; "That's awesome! You guys are so cute together!"

"Thanks, but is that all you wanted to know?"

"Yeah."

"Oh," Char laughed.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

(SEVERAL HOURS LATER)

"Are you sure you don't need anything?" Nick asked.

"Yes Nick," Aaron replied, "I'm positive. Now leave me alone so I can go back to sleep."

"Alright," Nick told him as he backed out of the room, "Call me on my cell if you need anything."

"I will Nick."

"Alright, Bye."

"Bye."

Nick stood at the room's window with tears in his eyes as he watched his little brother fall asleep.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Nick took a deep breath as he sat down in the driver's seat of his Durango (The BSB's management had gotten them all cars for while they were in LA, just in case they needed to get somewhere). He had a million thoughts going through his mind; 'What if Aaron didn't make it through? What would I do with out my little bro?' All of his negative thoughts were stopped as Courtney's hand came in contact with his. He smiled at her as he looked into her eyes.

"Let's go, Nicky," she said, "Let's get away from this hospital."

"Yeah, let's go."

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

(BACK AT HOME!)

Kevin and Kt walked hand in hand through the park. "I'm really glad Aaron came through all that," Kt said as she walked.

"Yeah, me too," Kevin said, "It was so hard seeing Nick so upset. I have NEVER seen him get so worked up."

"I guess it's kind of a good thing that he has Courtney to help him out."

"Yeah, she helped a lot."

"When I saw Aaron this morning I couldn't believe how much he looks like Nick."

"Kinda freaky, huh?"

"Yeah, it's like they're twins."

"Nowhere close. They may look alike, but they are completely different."

Kt laughed and they fell into a comfortable silence.

They walked around the park for a while just enjoying each other's company until Kevin spoke; "So I was thinking," he started, "That since we have a week off, that maybe you and I could hang out together. Only if you want to, that is."

"Sounds like a plan to me," Kt smiled.

"Great!" Kevin exclaimed as he wrapped his arm around her waist.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Char laughed as she yet again watched her favorite movie, A Night at the Roxbury, but this time she was watching it with A.J. at his house.

"A flying rat's ass, that'd be wild to see!" Steve Boutabi said. Char cracked up.

A.J. watched her laughing with a smile on his face. 'She is so beautiful when she's smiling! How did I get this lucky? Oh man! She HAS to meet my mom! My mom will love her, I know it!'

"Char?" he said.

"Yeah?"

"I want you to meet my mom."

"HUH?!" Char asked; "You want me to meet your mom?"

"Yeah, is that not cool with you?"

"No! It's fine. It's just that I didn't expect parent introductions so soon. Normally guys don't look forward to that part of a relationship."

"Well, I'm not your normal guy."

"I didn't say you were."

"So, will you meet her?"

"Yeah. But we probably shouldn't jump at the chance for you to meet my parents."

"That's cool. We can wait for that."

They stopped talking and watched the rest of the movie. Throughout the movie A.J. snuck glances at Char and noticed that she was quieter than usual, so he decided to ask her about it when the movie was finally over.

"What's wrong baby?"

"Nothing. I'm just thinking."

"About what?"

Char looked at A.J.; "What if your mom hates me or something?"

"What?!" A.J. laughed, "I'm positive she is going to love you. That's why I want you to meet her so soon. Don't worry. She will love you."

"Are you sure?"

"Yes, I'm sure. Now come sit with me."

Char moved closer to him from where she was sitting on the other end of the couch. She laid her head in his lap and stared up at the ceiling while he ran his fingers through her hair.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Brian walked into his room and turned on his laptop. He set his glass of water on the bedside table and connected to the internet. He opened his e-mail account and saw that he had 10 new messages. He opened the first one, which was from Char. He read it and thought to himself, 'Her man?! I could've sworn she wasn't going out with anyone. HA HA Kevin! She thought basketrockinboy was cute too!'

He clicked reply and started typing: 'Hey, what's up Char? Not much here, I guess. Thanks, I thought 'basketrockinboy' was a cool name. Kevin thought it was stupid. Who's the stupid one now?! LOL. Nah, he's cool. But then again, I hafta say that, he's my cousin. Your man?! You're going out with someone? That was kinda fast. Oh well, as long as you're happy with him. Just remember-> If he ever hurts you or causes you any unhappiness, I will hunt him down and kick his ass! We should get all the guys and girlies together for a BBQ or something. Lemme know what you think. I gotta go for now though. See ya later!—Brian'

He pushed send and then clicked the second message. It was from A.J. It read: 'Guess what?! We're going out! Me-and-Char-are-going-out! Yey! I've never been this excited about a girl before, but something tells me that something's gonna happen with this one. I'm gonna go now so I can call her! LYLAB-A.J. N.K.A. (Now Known As) Char's man!'

'Ohmigosh! That's who she was talking about! Oh crap! I have NO chance to get her now!' Brian logged out and closed his laptop. 'I gotta talk to Nick. I wonder if he knows?!'

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Nick and Courtney broke apart from their 'light' makeout session as the phone rang. Breathless, Nick answered the phone.

** "Hello?" he asked. **

"Whoa," Brian said, "Running through the house?"

"Uh... yeah," he answered, smiling as Courtney came into the room.

"Anyway, have you checked your e-mail lately?"

"No, why?"

"A.J. and Char are going out."

"Oh man, that sucks. I mean, I'm happy for them and everything, but I know that you like her too."

"Dude, now I can't even flirt with her. A.J. would go postal on me!"

"Yeah, I've seen him and Howie fight over that more than once."

"What should I do, man?"

"Well, there's not much you can do."

"Yeah, you're right. I'm not gonna be selfish and try to steal her away. That would be childish."

"You wouldn't do that anyway. So, my advice to you would be to let whatever happens happen. If you guys are meant to be together, it will happen."

"Thanks man."

"Anytime. I gotta go now though."

"Alright. I'll catch ya later."

"Bye."

** "Bye." **

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Nick hung up the phone and turned to face Courtney. He put his arms around her waist and kissed her softly.

Courtney pulled away; "Who was on the phone?"

"It was Bri," he replied before kissing her again.

She again pulled away from his kisses; "It sounded pretty serious."

"Kinda," he kissed her.

Once again pulling away she spoke, "You gonna tell me about it?"

"I probably shouldn't," he answered, "It's one of those best friend things, yanno?"

"Yeah," she answered as Nick picked her up and took her back to the couch to continue what they were doing before Brian called.