- Text Size +
CHAPTER 3

CURENT YEAR

ON TOUR BUSS AFTER STOPING TO EAT – KEVIN’S POV

It’s been five years since my band mates and I discovered I was beating my son. Nick took me straight to a hospital that day. Doctors found out that I’m bi-polar. They gave me medicine and I went through major counseling sessions. During my stay in the hospital Greg lived with Howie and everyone came to see me a lot. One day while Nick and Jesse where spending time with me a doctor came in to check on me. The doctor got talking to Jesse and discovered his problem. As it turns out that doctor had a friend who could help him. So during my stay in the hospital Jesse was also under going 3 brain surgeries to correct his problem. Thanks to God and all the doctors Jesse and I both are better now. Jesse talks with no problems and as long as I am on my medication I am fine.

It took a while but Greg and I have finally rebuilt our relationship. I’m so thankful to have my son back in my life. Those few months without him were murder. I don’t know how I made it through. I know Greg and I being apart brought AJ and Chris closer. Brian said for the first month things where stressful between them. He said after seeing how much pain Greg and I were in (because of the separation) is what made them close. Howie and AJ forgave each other and then AJ and Chris forgave each other. Now, we are back on the road. We’ve only been gone three weeks. We have a few more months to go. Right now we are almost to our next city. We should be there soon.

Howie, Frankie, Aaron, Nick and Jesse were on a bus together while Brian, Matt, AJ, Chris, Myself and Greg where cramped on another one. When the kids where younger things weren’t so cramped but now that they’re all bigger… well I’m sure you get the picture. We’ve been begging management for a third bus since last year.

ON THE OTHER BUS WITH FRANKIE AND AARON – NARORATOR’S POV

“Whatever David! Oh yeah? Well fuck you too!” Aaron yelled then hung up the phone. He was so angry he threw it. The cell phone slammed against the wall and broke into a few pieces. “Damn it!” Aaron shouted.

“Aaron? You ok?” Nick called. Aaron got out of his bunk. “I don’t wanna talk about it.” Aaron said with tears in his eyes and a scowl on his face. “Alright bro., just remember I’m here if you need me.” Nick said not wanting to push it. “Where’s Frankie?” Aaron asked fighting tear “He’s in the back pal. I think he’s asleep though.” Howie said not looking up from the card game he and Nick were playing. “I’ll fix that.” He said and walked toward the back.

As Aaron walked into the back room he slammed the door closed causing Frankie to jump. “Crap man, you scared me.” Frankie said sitting up. “Jesse get out!” Aaron yelled. “No way.” He said not looking up from his game. Frankie could see that Aaron was upset. “Listen you little punk!” Frankie shouted walking over and turning off the TV. “Either get out or I tell Nick who broke his game boy.” Frankie said. “That’s stupid I didn’t break it. Aaron did.” Jesse said standing up. “Who’s he going to believe Jesse?” Aaron asked fighting tears. “Gawd, you’re the worst uncle ever.” Jesse pouted leaving the room.

“Let me guess… David broke up with you.” “Yeah, but it’s for good this time.” Aaron sat next to him and let tears fall from his eyes. “That’s what you said last time and the time before that.” Frankie rolled his eyes. “We’ll I was wrong then but I’m right now.” Aaron tried not to sound like a little girl. “How so?” Frankie tried to feel sorry for him. “He cheated on me with a girl and he said he doesn’t wanna be gay anymore. The stupid ass hole told me ‘what a girl’s got is so hot and your stuff is just not’ He couldn’t just say it straight he had to be gay about it!” Aaron shouted. Frankie shook his head a little confused by the wording Aaron chose.

“Aaron, you’re a great guy. If David can’t see that he isn’t even worth your time let alone your tears. Plus you’re hot… for a guy I mean. Not like… oh Aaron you’re so hot… Just like… as a friend you’re hot.” Frankie stumbled making Aaron smile. “Seriously dude, there are lots of other guys out there who would kill to be with you. You just gotta wait for him.” Frankie said. “You really think so?” Aaron asked. “I’ll quote Uncle Brian on this one… ‘Whatever’s meant to be will work out perfectly’. You know it’s true.” “Thanks Frank. You’re a really good friend.” Aaron smiled.

A few minuets later Frankie broke the silence. “So, AC there has to be some guy you’ve always thought was cute.” Aaron thought, “Well there is this one guy. He isn’t my normal type but he’s really smart and nice. Not to mention pretty cool.” “So, why don’t you go for it?” Frankie asked. “There’s no way. He’s too close a friend. If things didn’t work out we would never be the same. Not to mention there would be one slight problem if I wanted to go after him.” “What’s that?” Frankie asked a bit confused as to who this was. Aaron paused. “He’s not gay.” “Who isn’t gay?” Jesse asked walking back in the room. “Big bird.” Aaron told him sarcastic.

IN THE BACK ROOM OF THE OTHER BUS

Chris, Greg and Matt all sat in different spots around the room doing different things. Chris sat side was in a small recliner reading a magazine. Matt said on the floor with his back against the love seat. He was playing his hand held video game. Frankie sat somewhat relaxed on the couch flipping through the few TV channels the bus was able to pick up. Everything was quiet until… “Hey Greg?” “What Matt?” Greg asked a little upset about the broken silence. “How long till we get there?” Matt asked. “How should I know?” Greg rolled his eyes. Chris shook his head never looking up. “Hey Greg?” Matt spoke again. Greg sighed and rolled his eyes. “What?” He responded. “Are we singing this stop?” “Go ask you’re dad… please!” Greg told him.

Chris still sat reading but he couldn’t help but smile. Just when Greg thought Matt was done asking questions… “Hey Greg?” “Damn it Matt, what?” Greg yelled. “I forgot.” Matt said. “Oh my gawd!” He said dropping the remote on the couch. “What’s going on back here?” AJ asked coming in. “I can honestly say… it wasn’t me.” Chris said still not looking away from his magazine. “Matt? Greg?” AJ asked. “He yelled at me.” Matt said pointing to Greg. “Dude, he wouldn’t quit asking me dumb questions.” Greg defended himself.

“Come on. Why don’t you come sit with us.” AJ told Greg. “You gotta be kidding me.” Greg rolled his eyes and shoved past AJ. Greg sat down on the empty side of the table. “What’d you do?” Kevin asked him. “Matt kept asking me stupid questions and so I yelled at him. Then Uncle AJ made me come up here.” Greg complained. “Don’t freak out buddy. We’ll be at the hotel in less then five minuets.” Kevin smiled. “You just took your medicine didn’t you?” Greg asked. “Uh, a little bit ago.” Kevin said.

A short time later the two busses stopped in the parking lot of a hotel. “Let me out. He’s driving me crazy.” Chris pushed past everyone and got off the bus. “Hold up son.” AJ called following him. “I think it’s time for someone’s hyperactive medicine.” Kevin whispered to Greg as Matt walked out of the back room laughing. “I’ll meet you outside.” Greg said and left. “Wait with me buddy. I gotta wake up your dad.” Kevin said and walked to Brian’s bunk. “Wake up buddy.” Kevin shook him. “Huh? Where are we?” Brian asked rubbing his eyes. “Hotel.” Kevin said moving to let him up. “Hi dad. Did you sleep you good? I didn’t sleep. I wasn’t tired. Are you still tired?” Matt rambled quickly. Brian looked at his watch. “Crap, its past time for your meds.” Brian said grabbing them out of the small bag he had on his bunk. After Matt took his medicine the three boys got off the bus and joined the others. “Something wrong AC?” Greg asked walking over to him. “David and I…” Aaron couldn’t finish. Too many people where close by. “Again?” He asked. “For good. I’ll explain later.” Frankie told him.

“Gather round guys.” Kevin called. “Come here Jesse.” Nick called to his son who was still on the bus. “Jesse jumped off the bus and gave his dad a hug. “What’s that for?” Nick asked. “I dunno. I just love you.” He said and walked over to the rest of the group. Nick shook his head a bit lost and followed. “Backstreet, we have today off. Tomorrow we have a photo shoot and a rehearsal. The next day we’ll have a morning radio show with the kids and then another rehearsal. The night following is the show and we’ll leave the morning after. Aaron you have a radio show tonight. A long rehearsal tomorrow right before ours. You’ll have a photo sighing during our radio show the next day and another rehearsal before your show that night. Dreamstreet, you’ll be joining us during our photo shoot and radio show. You’ll be opening for us so you’ll be rehearsing the morning of our show.” Kevin explained. “What are the room assignments?” Frankie asked. “Uh, Brian?” Kevin asked. “Howie, Frankie, AJ and Chris are together. Kevin, Greg and Aaron are together and Nick, Jesse, Matt and I are together.” Brian said. “Why do I gotta be with the Spanish speaking freaks?” AJ teased. “porque tengo calor para usted.” Howie said making Frankie laugh. “What’d he say?” AJ asked. “He said it’s because he is hot for you.” Frankie said still laughing. “Gross, don’t even joke about that.” Nick said. “Yeah, I love you Howie but not in that way.” AJ agreed. Everyone but Greg and Aaron laughed.

“Can we go inside now?” Aaron asked hurt by his brother’s comment. “Not so fast, I need to lay down the rules.” Kevin told him. Aaron looked at Frankie. He quickly grabbed Jesse and kissed the top of his head. “Get off me man. That’s sick.” Jesse pushed away. Aaron laughed. That was Frankie’s plan. He saw tears in Aaron’s eyes so he did the only thing he could think of to make them go away. “Jesse, Franklin, pay attention.” Howie scolded. “Jesse and Matt no telling people your last names, no pranks and no acting like little kids. Chris, it’s fine if you need to be alone but you need to tell one of us adults first. Frankie and Greg, leave the Matt and Jesse alone and yes, you still need to ask permission before running off. Aaron, behave yourself and keep your cell on you at all times so we are able to find you.” Kevin told said. “I can’t.” Aaron said. “Why?” Nick and Kevin asked at the same time. “I uh… I broke my phone.” He said looking at the ground. Sometimes he felt so young even though he was nineteen.

“Again? Aaron Charles, why?” Nick got upset. Aaron didn’t wanna say it. He didn’t know how. “I’m waiting.” Nick crossed his arms over his chest. Aaron opened his mouth and paused. Then he turned around and ran back on the bus. “Aaron!” Nick yelled. “Go talk to your brother. We’ll meet you inside.” Brian said and pushed him toward the bus. “What about…” “I’ll take Jesse.” Brian said and pushed him toward the bus again. Nick took a deep breath and walked onto the bus. He couldn’t hear Aaron crying but wasn’t sure where he was. “Aaron?” Nick called. “Go away!” His voice shouted from the back room. Nick walked back and found his little brother on the couch crying. “Aaron what’s wrong with you? Why are you acting so funny?” He asked. “I thought I said to go away.” Aaron said sitting up.

“You know I can’t do that. You’re my little brother and I love you.” Nick sat next to him. “David and I had a fight.” Aaron half lied. He knew if he wasn’t careful with his words he would expose himself. “David Gallagher? Your little friend since you was like…8?” Nick asked. “That’s the one.” “Big fight?” Nick asked. “Our friendship is over… for good!” He replied. “Isn’t that harsh?” “After what he did? I don’t think so.” Aaron almost yelled. “So, whatever he did made you so mad you… threw your cell phone?” Nick guessed. “Yeah, it broke.” Aaron looked down to the floor. “It’s alright bro. If I can find some to keep an eye on Jesse I’ll take you to get a new one.” Nick messed up his hair. “You’re the greatest Nick.” Aaron hugged him. “You only say that now.” Nick laughed.

A little while later Aaron and Nick had already left and came back. Aaron had just left for his radio thing and everyone else had gathered in Kevin’s room to watch a movie. “Hey dad, Frankie and I wanna go talk. Is it cool if we go down to the rec. room for a little bit?” Greg asked. “We wanna talk?” Frankie asked. “No one is in our room. Why don’t you guys go talk down there?” Howie suggested. “Great idea! Let’s go Frank.” Greg said and grabbed his arm. “Bye!” Frankie had just enough time to say before being pulled out of the room. “What’s up man?” Frankie was confused as he unlocked his hotel room. “Fill me in on David and Aaron. Why did they break up again?” Greg just had to know. “What are you a girl? Is David and Aaron so important that you had to jerk my arm off?” Frankie was a bit upset. “Sorry, it’s just Aaron is my friend to and I can’t help comfort him if I don’t know what happened. Plus it’s usually really funny.” Greg smiled. “Yeah, ok, so, David called Aaron to confess that he had cheated on him with a girl and now he doesn’t wanna be gay. The jerk said… ‘What a girls got is hot and what you have is not.’ Aaron was so pissed and hurt too.” Frankie explained. “That sucks. He and David have been together forever. But I’m sure there’s another guy out there for Aaron. I mean it isn’t like he’s ugly.” “That’s what I said. He told me there is a guy he’s always kinda liked but wouldn’t say who. Just that he isn’t gay and that he’s too close a friend to be with even if he were gay.” Frankie paused. “Wonder who it could be. He always says you, me and David are his only real friends.” Frankie looked up at Greg. “You don’t think…” “No way man!” Greg pretended to laugh.


BACK WITH THE OTHERS

“So Nicky, you never did say what happened with Aaron.” Brian commented. “He and David had some big fight and now there friendship is over for good.” Nick rolled his eyes. “Who’s David again?” AJ asked. “He is only Aaron’s best friend for the past ten years.” Howie said. “Oh, that Simon kid on seventh heaven?” “Yes AJ.” Nick laughed. “Haven’t they fought before?” Brian asked. “Yeah but whatever he did this time was the serious last straw I guess. Aaron wouldn’t say what he did though.” “Don’t you think those two were a little too close?” Kevin asked. “I dunno. Maybe but it doesn’t matter now anyway.” “Dad! Be quiet!” Jesse complained. “Jesse what have I told you about talking to me like that?” Nick asked. “I’m trying to be polite when I say this… could you guys keep it down? I really wanna watch this.” Matt said. “Wonder which backstreet boy is his dad.” Howie teased. “Not funny!” Brian somewhat blushed.

A half hour later Kevin, Matt, Jesse and AJ were asleep. “I better get Matt to bed guys. I’ll see you in the morning.” Brian said and went over to Matt. “Wake up buddy. It’s time for bed.” Matt yawned. “No more questions please.” Brian chuckled. “Come on Matt.” He helped him stand. “Sweet dreams frack.” Nick waved as the two left. “Alright, how do we wake up AJ?” Howie asked. “Don’t look at me; he is the deepest sleeper I’ve ever met.” Nick replied. “Ya’ll are so dumb. You just gotta whisper the right thing in his ear.” Chris said getting close to his dad. “MMM… AJ I’m having a little trouble with this zipper. Could you help me?” Chris said in a high and sweet voice. AJ’s eyes snapped open as he sat up instantly. Howie and Nick cracked up. “Boy!” AJ gritted his teeth. “Oh, calm down Jay, You can help me with my zipper later.” Howie said making Nick crack up even more. “Nicholas, could you stop that god awful cackling of yours?” Kevin mumbled waking up. “Sorry man, it’s just so damb funny.” Nick tried to stop.

“I’m going to bed, see you there baby.” Howie teased. “I’m going with him.” Chris yawned and followed Howie out of the room. “Do you need help with Jesse?” AJ asked. “I got it. Thanks though.” Nick said carefully lifting Jesse up off the ground. “How is he not waking up?” AJ asked. “Ever since that last surgery he’s been a really hard sleeper.” Nick explained. “Is that safe?” Kevin asked. “His doctor told me it’s not hurting anything and that he should grow out of it.” Nick told them. “Hate to run but I gotta get to bed. Night guys!” AJ said and left. “He really is a good kid.” Kevin said opening the door for Nick. “Thanks Kevin. I really mean it.” Nick said. “It’s just a door Nick.” Kevin told him a little confused. “No, I mean for being so willing to stay in the hospital and then to let us come see you. Had it not been for all that my son would still be sick.” “It’s not something I care to remember and I don’t feel like I deserve any thank you’s considering what put me there but all the same… you’re welcome Nicky.”

After Nick had left Kevin started to change for bed. “Dad, I’m back.” Greg called into the bathroom. “Alright, it’s bed time.” Kevin said walking out. “I know.” He replied changing. “Did you and Frankie have fun?” Kevin asked. “Yeah, we just talked and played some video games. It was nice to spend time away from the other kids.” Greg told him. “I know, you and Frank are growing up and need your space. That’s why Howie and I let you guys go off so much.” Kevin explained. “Thanks.” Greg smiled. “Where’s Aaron sleeping?” Greg asked. “With you unless you wanna sleep with me.” Kevin said. “Boy is too cuddly in his sleep.” Kevin added. Just then Aaron walked in. “Everything go good?” Kevin asked getting into bed. “Good I’m just tired.” He yawned. “Climb in.” Greg said also lying down.

That night everyone slept like a rock. A few times Aaron rolled over on top of Greg. At first Greg would push him away but as the night went on Greg found that he liked Aaron being on top of him. He even found that it was somewhat arousing. He knew he would have to talk to Frankie about this.
Everything in Howie and AJ’s room was fine. Nick and Brian’s room didn’t go as swell. Matt woke everyone up screaming. He had a bad dream. Jesse rolled off the bed and hit smacked his head against the side table. He wasn’t bleeding but he was crying and a nice big bump formed. At 7 o’clock in the morning they all woke to the sound of Jesse crying and screaming. “Brian call nine one one!” Nick screamed. “Matt go wake up Kevin and Aaron.” Brian said as he grabbed his phone. “Uncle Kevin! Uncle Kevin!” Matt began beating on the door. Kevin got up quickly as everyone in the room began to wake up. “Matt what’s wrong?” “Jesse! His head!” Was all Matt could say. Kevin looked over at Aaron. Suddenly they both took off running. In Howie and AJ’s room they all heard footsteps and the sound of Jesse screaming. So they all got up and went next door to see what all the commotion was about.

“He hit his head last night on the night stand. No. Just a big bump. Fourteen. He’s had a few brain surgeries. Yes ma’am. Thank you!” Brian was talking to the lady on the phone. “Is someone on their way?” Nick asked holding Jesse tightly in his arms. “Yeah, they’ll be here soon.” Brian said. “Jay, get the kids out of here.” Kevin said and AJ pulled the boys out of the way. “It’s alright Jesse. Help is on the way.” Aaron said sitting next to Nick and rubbing Jesse’s arm. Soon a group of EMT’s rushed into the room. Aaron and Kevin had to hold Nick back and out of the way as the men looked over Jesse. “My son!” He kept yelling. “It’s ok Nicky. There gonna take good care of him.” Aaron kept telling him as tears ran down his face.