- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
I wanted to get another chapter posted before classes start. Hope you enjoy it. :)

Brian was rather sick of talking about himself, so he began to ask Nick questions. His time purchasing school supplies and then being sent into a brick wall had taught him that he had more to learn about the wizarding world than he realized. Nick was also in his seventh year, and he was in Gryffindor.

“All of the Weasley’s have been in that house,” Nick said proudly.

“Draco, too?”

“Oh no, he’s in Slytherin… you don’t want to be in that house. A lot of dodgy kids in there. That was the house You Know Who was in.”

“Who?”

You Know Who.”

“No, I really don’t,” Brian insisted.

“Have you been living under a rock your entire life? I didn’t think there was a wizard in the world who… I mean, even in the United States…” Nick was baffled by Brian’s blank face. “He had a group of followers, and they murdered and terrorized. I was barely born, but I’ve heard stories. Everyone was living in fear… Anyway, he’s long gone now. That was over seventeen years ago.”

Brian was glad that this evil wizard was gone, but he still thought the subject was rather dreary. He spotted Nick’s broomstick and asked about it.

“It’s a Cleansweep Eleven,” Nick said proudly. “Not the best out there, of course, but it sure beats the Comet Three-Sixty I used to have. I’m on the Quidditch team.”

Brian started to ask.

“Don’t tell me you don’t know Quidditch!” Nick nearly jumped out of his seat. “Blimey Brian. It’s bad enough, you not knowing about You Know You, but to never have heard… Wizards in the United States must not have any fun at all!”

“Well, we play basketball,” Brian replied. “That’s a great sport. He began to describe it to Nick.

Nick simply laughed. “You mean there’s only one ball? And it doesn’t move?”

“Well, no. Not unless you throw it yourself.”

Nick had to hold his stomach and gasp for breath he found this remark so funny. Still, he promised to take Brian out on the field as soon as they had free time so that Brian could learn how to ride a broomstick.

He wondered what Nick would say if he found out that Brian didn’t know any magic. How in the world was he supposed to do his schoolwork? None of his public education was going to do him any good here.

Still, by the time the train began to slow down at the station, Brian felt he at least had an idea of what to expect. Nick had described the houses and professors. There were creatures called house elves who worked in the kitchens, preparing feasts for the students. Even the wizarding world had exams, apparently. Brian was surprised at how many similarities Hogwarts had with regular school, actually. He would receive a class schedule, be assigned homework, and be offered the opportunity to participate in school activities.

When they exited the train, Nick instructed Brian to leave his trunk.

“Don’t worry, it’ll appear in your room after dinner.”

The sky was dark and the train station (Hogsmeade, according to the sign) was surrounded by forest. Brian could tell they’d traveled far from London. Wherever Hogwarts was, it was located in the countryside.

“Nick!” a voice cried from behind them.

Nick and Brian both turned. A boy their age was standing there. He had wavy, brown hair that reached his shoulders and schoolbooks in his arms.

“Howmione Granger! Long time no see,” Nick said, giving him a friendly hug. “What were you up to this summer?”

“Tutoring mostly,” Howmione replied. “Your brothers included. Surely they told you?”

Nick laughed. “They didn’t exactly want to tell the world that they were in summer school. Especially since they never told their friends that they got held back.” Nick turned. “Oh, this is Brian. Brian, meet Howie.”

“Hey,” Brian said.

Howmione tilted his head as he looked at Brian, but he simply responded with a “hello.” With the introductions out of the way, the three of them headed up a path that led them through the woods.

“Where are we?” Brian asked. The trees seemed a little spookier than they had when they’d first left the station. They had to have walked half of a mile by this time. The branches were thicker overhead, blocking any starlight. Howie was guiding them. The end of his wand was lit by a spell called “Lumos.”

“The Forbidden Forest,” Howie replied.

Brian stared at him. “Wouldn’t that be… forbidden?”

“Yeah,” Nick shrugged. “Usually, students aren’t allowed in this forest. There’s lot of stuff that could kill us… Centaurs and giant spiders… you know.”

He shared this as if it were casual information.

Nick continued, “We used to have carriages take us up to the castle.”

“What happened to that?” Brian asked, much preferring that option.

“Budget cuts.”

Another ten minutes passed, and the trio continued along the path. There was a group of girls right behind them now. They hadn’t wanted to walk on the path alone. Finally, the forest opened up to reveal a huge, black lake. The water looked peaceful, but Brian wouldn’t dare go in it for all of the “gallons,” “nuts,” and “popsicles” in the world. It was enough to find out that witches and wizards existed, but today he was learning that lots of other “mythical” creatures did, too. Who knew what was in that lake? The Loch Ness Monster for all Harry knew.

Brian didn’t spend too much time worrying, though. As they followed the edge of the lake, he looked up. How could he have missed it before?

There was Hogwarts. The castle stood before them, with towers and candlelit windows. He had never before seen a more beautiful sight. He didn’t speak the rest of the way. All Brian could do was stare.

“This is the dining hall, and that’s our table,” Nick said once inside. “But I guess you should go stand with the first years, seeing as how you’re not sorted.”

“Not sorted?” Howmione asked. “Where…”

“Come on,” Nick rolled his eyes.

Brian was grateful to not have to go through that again. He stood with the eleven year olds, feeling foolish.

A little boy gazed up at him. “How tall are you?”

Brian smiled to himself. This was the first time in his life that 5’8 made him feel like a giant.

“Hello, hello!” a woman stood before them. Her skin was black, as were her robes and witches hat. Her hair was in tiny braids reaching halfway down her back. “I’m Professor McGonagall and welcome to Hogwarts. Right now we’re… how old are you?”

Brian realized she was staring at him. “Seventeen.”

“Seventeen?” she placed a hand on her hip. “Is this a joke? What did you say your name was?”

“I didn’t. It’s Brian P…”

Her eyes widened. “That’s right! Well we’re going to skip this. You’re too old to be putting on some communal hat… besides, you never know about lice.”

She’d lowered her voice, but several students around her had still heard. They looked terrified. Professor McGonagall led him to the door, out of earshot.

“Just kidding,” she grinned. “Even a teacher likes to mess with her first years sometimes. Anyway, go sit with Gryffyndor.”

“How do you know which house I’m in?” Brian asked.

“Because I’m head of that household, and I say you’re in the club.” She used a tone that would put up with no argument.

Since this was exactly where Brian wanted to be, though, so he was alright with that.

“How’d you get out of the sorting?” Howmione asked, when Brian sat next to Nick on the bench.

“Professor McGonagall said she wanted me here.”

“Guess what,” Nick whispered conspiratorially, looking around. “There are rumors that Brian Potter is here.”

“Huh?” Brian stared at him.

“Like the Brian Potter. I wonder if I can get his autograph?”

Howmione coughed, but Brian had the distinct impression that he was holding back a laugh.

Brian waited for an epiphany to come to Nick, but the wait was in vain. “Why… is that such a big deal?”

“Blimey, Brian! Brian Potter is the one who defeated You Know Who.”