- Text Size +
Chapter 2
“Who’s your friend man?” His eyes turned once more to me and I shivered. Something deep within did not like that heat, that fire burning. I was very uncomfortable, yet, I wasn’t wiling to let people see that.

“Nick, this is Theresa. She’s a friend of Bri’s.” I extended my hand and forced a smile past my lips.

“What a gorgeous name.” He held my hand a lot longer than I deemed necessary for a hand shake.

“Thank you.”

“So, how long have you known Bri?” I tried yanking my hand back, but he just wasn’t letting go.

“Not long. I met him only a few weeks ago.” He finally released it as he shifted, smiling at the man behind him.

“Howie, finally. Damn, didn’t think you were ever gonna make it out to see your friends here,” Nick said, giving D a brief hug. Howie smiled at Nick and hugged AJ.

“Yeah, well, I figured I needed to.” His eyes turned to me and that smile quickly disappeared.

“Howie, this is Theresa. Brian’s friend.” I smiled, yet he didn’t return it.

“Excuse me, I need to see LeighAnne.” With that, he left, not even offering me a hello.

“I’m sorry Theresa. Howie usually isn’t that rude.” I waved it off and turned my attention back to AJ.

“No worries, really.”

“That would have pissed me off.” I threw a smile at AJ.

“I learned not to sweat the small stuff. By the way, I’m still waiting on that soda you know.” He blushed as he turned back to the bar tender.

“So, tell me about yourself,” Nick said as his hand slipped around my waist. Inside, I cringed, wanting to yank that arm and hurl him as far as I could. Why he bothered me, I wasn’t sure. But something just didn’t feel right about him, about the gaze he had.

“What’s to tell?”

“How you met Bri is a good start.” He shifted closer and I scooted closer to AJ.

“Yeah, I’m sorta curious about that.”

“Hey, Nick, come here.” Nick turned, as well as AJ, to see Brian waving at Nick.

“Excuse me sweetness.” He left and I let out a sigh.

“Don’t like him?” I flinched and AJ laughed.

“Am I that obvious?”

“To anyone but him. Why, everyone loves the Nick charm.”

“Maybe it’s just too much for me.”

“Hmm, interesting. Really, I am curious about you.” I shrugged and threw him a smile.

“Don’t be. I’m nothing special.”

“Oh, on that note, darlin’, you’re wrong. You friends with Brian and yet you dislike Nick. Not to mention that Howie has beef with you, and I’m thinking you’re just one hell of a woman. So, yeah, nothing special just isn’t adding up.” I busted out laughing. All of that in one night! That was certainly a first in my book. “How did you meet him?”

“At a conference, actually. He was one of the singers there, and I was a guest speaker.”

“Within in the last few weeks?”

“Yeah.” His eyes closed, and he tapped his chin with his finger.

“Brian mentioned something about a conference. It was like, some type of Christian deal, or other.”

“Yeah, that would be the one.”

“Oh, we got a good girl on our hands? Is that what you’re saying?” I shrugged, yet threw him a wink as I picked up my glass and turned to leave.

“Good girl with a devil inside.”