- Text Size +
Chapter 6
“I’m sorry,” he whispered in my ear as he softly pushed my chair in. I turned and smiled, letting him know that it was okay. Or, it was until Nick took the seat on my left side. Without trying to be obvious, I scooted my chair closer to AJ’s. He grabbed my hand, placed a kiss on the back of it, and smiled. And that went straight to my toes. I quickly sucked in a breath, but I still wouldn’t give him the satisfaction of calling him sexy.

“I talked to Brian about the pool party I’m having next weekend, and it’s for sure that Kevin is coming.” I glanced over my menu, not really paying attention to what they were saying. And after a few moments, we placed our order, yet, I still wasn’t really listening.

“It’s been forever since I’ve seen that man. Is he bringing the family?”

“You know the rough patch he’s having but Mason is coming.” My ears picked up on that name. But, it was a common enough name.

“Kevin?” The guys glanced over at Jennifer.

“Richardson,” Nick answered. My glass of water slipped through my fingers and fell straight to the ground, glass and water spilling every which way. “You okay, Theresa?” Mentally, I shook myself.

“I’m fine, Nick. It just slipped.” AJ glanced at me and frowned, but I smiled. Son of a bitch! Why didn’t I think of it! “Excuse me, while I try to clean this up.” AJ stood up and pulled my chair out, truly the gentleman. I rushed into the restroom, staring at myself in the mirror. Oh my gosh, how…why…not now! I groaned, remembering the last time I saw those eyes, saw the hurt, and yet saw the love. But it was wrong, so very wrong on so many levels. And now, it was coming back, my horrible past just couldn’t stay dead. But, I really had to get over him. I mean, he had a wife, even a son. Of course, there’s AJ. And he seemed like such a good guy and I really needed that good guy type. I ran my hand over my face, not sure of what to say, what to do. I could end this relationship, could walk away, but I had gained so much. And Brian’s friendship was a blessing. I shook my head, knowing that walking away wasn’t the right road, and yet, walking down the one I was currently on did not seem right. I mean, it just had so many twists, bends, turns, up hills and down, that I wasn’t sure I wanted to take it, that I was strong enough to take it. But, as quick as all thoughts were, the Lord’s voice echoed in my mind. He told me that though the path may seem bad, He was there to guide, to protect, to help. I wasn’t alone. I took a deep breath, steadying my over frazzled nerves. Goodness, and it was just the mention of a name. Granted, it had been quite a few years since I heard it. I closed my eyes, took a steadying breath once more and headed back out to the table.

-----
“I get it, this was the comfty part?” I asked, as AJ held open the door for me. He smiled and lead the way inside and over to a private booth.

“You’re gonna dance tonight.”

“I danced at the party.”

“Two line dances does not count, baby.” Inside, I shivered. That cute little pet name used to irk me, but hearing it from him, it sure sounded really good.

“You ladies want anything to drink?” Jennifer ordered something while I just ordered a coke. Nick nodded and left to get the drinks. I watched his retreating back and let out a soft sigh.

“What’s wrong, darlin’?” Damn, AJ was on a roll tonight!

“I guess I’m relieved.”

“Over what?”

“Nick. He was nice at dinner, didn’t seem to hound me.”

“He has a date.” I looked at AJ and rolled my eyes. He laughed and placed his arm around my shoulders. “Nick can be an ass, there’s no denying that. But he can be a good guy. Give him a chance, darlin’, you mind find out he’s okay.”

“You’re saying that because he’s your boy.” AJ’s eyes grew dark as he recalled his last conversation with Nick, and really prayed that Nick wasn’t that much of an ass that he would do what he said he would do. AJ wasn’t lying to Nick when he said he thought Theresa was classy. She was, and she deserved respect, not just a roll in the hay. “Alex?”

“I’m sorry, I got something stuck in my mind.”

“It sure didn’t look like a pleasant thought.”

“It was nothing. Wanna dance?” I glanced out at the crowd, knowing there was no way I was getting out of it.

“Sure, you’re gonna drag me out there anyway.” Once on the floor, AJ wrapped his arms softly around my waist.

“See, it ain’t bad.”

“Never claimed it was.” I sighed and laid my head on his shoulder, breathing the scent that just screamed AJ! I smiled to myself, so very content to be in his arms.

“I can feel that smile.”

“You’re not the bad boy everyone thinks you are.”

“Eh, it’s just an image that I got branded with.”

“Why not deny it?”

“And lose my fans?” I giggled and I could feel AJ gently press his lips against my head. Hot damn, AJ was just about the sweetest person; scratch that, just about the sweetest guy I knew!

“May I cut in?” I glanced up and there was Nick. Damn, I didn’t want to be rude and say no, but I just didn’t feel comfortable enough to say yes either. I glanced over at AJ, hoping he would say no. But he glanced at me, smiled, pressed a kiss on the back of my hand and leaned over to me.

“Give him a chance to redeem himself,” he whispered in my ear. With that, he left, walking over to the DJ’s booth.

“I promise, I’ll behave.” I placed my hand in his. Mentally, I snorted, for I just didn’t buy that. Sure, he might have been prince charming all evening, but it was a side I just didn’t believe. “I know that I came off rather horrible that first night. I’m sorry.”

“Me too. I’m being rather rude and that’s not like me.”

“No worries.” I smiled and he smiled back. Hmm, nice smile, maybe he wasn’t SOO bad after all. “You’re too far,” and before I could stop him, his arm tightened around my waist and pulled me closer. Okay, I was dead wrong.

“Nick, please give me room.”

“But I like how you feel. Nice, soft, firm!” Oh hell no, please tell me his hand did not just grab my ass!

“Nick, stop it.” I tried pulling away but he wouldn’t let go. His hand traveled up my back and gently brushed my breast. “NICK! Your date is right there.”

“So?”

“So, go with her! Fondle and grope her, she’s willing!”

“She might, but she’s not you!” I raised my eyebrow in a silent question. “You feel good, I like the way you feel, and I know deep down, you want me to feel you, to caress your parts you don’t talk about.”

“I’m dating your best friend, doesn’t that bother you? Get to you, anything?”

“Should it?”

“Let me go,” I muttered, getting more pissed off with the man as the seconds ticked by. “Do you think all females fall at your feet and faint at your charm, if you call groping charm.”

“I haven’t had any complaints so far.” Oh, the urge to slap him was strong.

“Allow me to be the first. Let me go!” He smirked, his eyes dancing with mischief. How I hated that look.

“For now, you’ll be the first. One day, you’ll want me, and I’ll be all the more happy to oblige.”