- Text Size +
Chapter 7
I walked into his backyard feeling, well, there was way too many different emotions. But the one that stood out to me being nervous. Gosh, how long had it been since I’ve seen him? Would he remember me, would he say anything if he did? Without realizing it, I was clutching AJ’s hand with even more force.

“Darlin’, I do need my hand.” I blushed.

“I’m sorry. You know, I’m just a little worried.” It had been a week since either AJ or I had seen Nick. And I know AJ saw something’s I’m sure he didn’t like. But, he didn’t say anything to me, and I wasn’t aware if he talked to Nick.

“No worries. He probably has some other bimbo to be digging on.” Mentally, I rolled my eyes. Didn’t Nick have some bimbo that night?

“Thanks.”

“Really, don’t sweat it. I’ll stick by your side if you’d like,” he said as we walked over by the pool and the grill.

“Finally, thought these burgers would be done before you got here!” Nick said, smiling at AJ before glancing at me. Damn, I really hated that look! “Everyone is inside but let me introduce Tiffany. Tiffany, this is AJ and his girlfriend, Theresa.”

“It’s a pleasure,” I said, wondering if I really was going to have to learn a new name each week. The other woman just smiled to both AJ and I.

“We’re going to say hi to everyone else. Be back dude,” and with that, AJ was taking me into the lion’s own den.

“Look, LeighAnne, here I thought that I was gonna have to send a search party out for you two. Damn, Resa, if he’s gonna make you late all the time, than you might wanna think about dumping his ass!”

“Thanks for that vote, Bri. Sides, she’s the right blend of goodness, cuteness and pure evil. And you know how I love me one of those,” he joked, his arms snaking around my waist; his chest pressing against my back.

“Dude, no, don’t wanna hear.” Everyone laughed at D’s expression, well, not me, cause I could see the why behind that comment. Okay, this whole D hating me was really starting to bug me. “Hey, hey, look who is finally joining us! Kevin, long time buddy!”

“Hey there D!” After a few seconds I finally glanced behind AJ, making J turn around.

“Dude, you’ve been gone way too long.” AJ let me go to give a hug to the older man. As they pulled away, Kevin glanced over at me and I saw something flicker in those depths.

“And who is this?”

“Kevin, my girlfriend, Theresa. This is my pain in the ass, Kevin.” I smiled and held out my hand, feeling the goose bumps race up my arm as Kevin’s hand took mine.

“It’s a pleasure. Let me introduce my son, Mason.” I dropped down to the boys’ level and smiled.

“Well, aren’t you a cutie. Hi Mason.” He ran behind his father’s leg, but peeked around to glance at me. He finally smiled and glanced up at his dad.

“What’s wrong buddy?”

“She’s pretty.” Kevin glanced at AJ, at me, than at his son and chuckled.

“Yes she is. And I’m sure Uncle AJ thinks so too.”

“Can I keep her?” I motioned for him to come closer and he came, a tad slow, though.

“When you get older, and you stay this adorable, and of course, if you still want, I’ll allow you to keep me.” That caused that boy to giggle.

“What? I have competition from HIM now? I just can’t win!” I stood up and kissed AJ’s pout away, laughing at his look.

“Where’s Baylee?”

“At my mom’s, Kev. Mom wanted to take him for a couple weeks.”

“Gotcha Bri. Well, I’m gonna check on ‘em burgers because we all know how Nick can be.” I watched Kevin walk outside and mentally sighed.

“Sweetie, I think I’m heading outside.”

“Are you gonna be okay?” I glanced over at Nick and nodded my head.

“Anything happens, I’ll scream, okay?” AJ nodded and gave me a quick kiss.

-----
“Hey Nick.” Nick glanced up and smiled. “What’s new?”

“Nothing much man. This is Tiffany, Tiffany, the last one, Kevin.” Tiffany smiled, as did Kevin. “You meet the latest edition here, right?” Kevin glanced across the yard and turned back to Nick, not quite liking that gaze in that young man’s eye.

“Nick, pop your eyes back in your head there.”

“Sorry man.”

“You like her? Knowing she’s AJ’s?”

“They are dating. He doesn’t own her.”

“Man, she doesn’t strike me as the type that would cheat.”

“Oh, all I want is a round or two.” For some strange reason, that felt like a damn sucker punch to Kev’s stomach.

“Nick, this ain’t any of my business, but I’m thinking you might wanna leave her alone.”

“Why?”

“Because Resa isn’t that type of woman. Never has been.” Kevin glanced back across the yard, not realizing what he said. Or, that was, until he felt Nick’s gaze on him.

“You know her! Like that well? Is she good?” Kevin rolled his eyes. Sometimes, Nick was truly a pain in the ass.

“I meet her, but it was a long time ago and I’d rather not get into it.”

“Dude, you’re gonna leave me hanging like that?”

“I believe if he wanted to give you details, he would have before hand.” I watched him, saw the desire written in the depths of those eyes and knew I felt the same.