- Text Size +
He slipped into a light sleep after two hours. A dreamless and restless sleep that did not prevent him from waking up in an instant when he heard a key entering the newly build on door lock.

Brian did not even notice he was holding his breath while he carefully was listening how many foots where entering their apartment. Two persons. Frank was still with her but on the other hand, his mother was home.

He tried to overhear what was said in the living room.

“Hey Jackie. Hey Frank!” Lucy greeted the new arrivals.

“Hey Judy, everything went okay?” Jackie asked.

“Sure Jackie. Brian is in bed. He was tired. And he gave me not chance to beat him in any game we played.”

Laughing. His mom and Frank were laughing.

“Don’t be offended, but I’m going home now. I’m tired as well!” Lucy announced. “Shell I drop you at you home, Frank?”

“I have my car here.”

“Of course. I forgot!”

“Bye Frank. Good night Jackie.”

“Thank you for watching Brian, Luce.” his mother said.

“No problem, I know I love that little guy. Goodbye you two!”

Brian could hear the front door open and close some seconds later. Lucy was gone. Gone? That meant his mother was all alone with ‘that Frank guy. Something needed to be done. He had made a promise.

Quietly Brian got out of his bed. He slowly opened the door of his room and crossed the kitchen.

He saw his mother sitting on the couch, Frank next to her. Close. Too close for Brian’s liking.

“Mommy?” Brian asked rubbing his eyes as if he had just woken up from a deep sleep.

“Brian. Honey. Why are you up? Did we wake you?” Jackie stood up from the couch walking towards her son with her arms wide open to embrace him. She never like leaving him somewhere, but Lucy had been with him. And he was eight years old, not a infant anymore.

While his mother was hugging him closely, rubbing his back, he could see Frank on the couch watching them . He did not look too happy about Brian’s interruption.

“No mommy, I had a bad dream! You left me and did not come back!” Brian cried in this mothers shoulder. Lying was easily today. He never thought he could lie to her like this, but he had his reasons to do so.

“I’m here, babyduck. I’m never going to leave you!” she comforted him still rubbing his back. Brian continued to sniffle and snob on her shoulder as if he could not calm down this easy.

Jackie sighed. She would have liked to spent some more time with Frank. On the other hand, Brian’s bad dream might save her from some things she wasn’t ready for yet. Her last relationship was so long ago.

Jackie picked Brian up from the ground. He was small for his age, therefore she could still manage to carry him. She turned around facing Frank.

“I’m sorry. Maybe you should leave. Brian is really upset and I need to comfort him. He is not used to me being gone in the evening. Is that okay for you?”

Frank smiled at her and at the boy on her arms.

“This fucking kid. I knew he would be a pain in the ass. But maybe he’ll learn to cope with a night without his mother. I will make sure to teach him!”

“Sure Jackie. No problem. It was a nice evening. I hope we are going to redo it soon” he smiled while getting up and putting on his jacket.

“I guess we will!” Jackie smiled happily.

Frank turned to the door to leave. Brian was happy that guy would be gone soon. He knew Frank was not happy about his behaviour.

Jackie watched Frank open the door, then turned around to bring Brian back to his room.

On the threshold Frank turned around one last time.

“Good night Brian. Have a nice sleep.”
Chapter End Notes:
Let me know what you think!!!