- Text Size +
Story Notes:

The characters mostly go by their real names, though their movie characters are mentioned a bit since they are filming a fourth movie here - lol.

 

Author's Chapter Notes:

Yeah, yeah, me again. No comments from the peanut gallery about how I keep starting fics & take forever to finish them - lol. I'd a HSM dream the other night, & have been obsessing over HSM ever since & this is the result. Enjoy!

Disclaimer: Only own Jaylynn Daniels & story idea. Disney owns the HSM characters, & all the HSM actors own themselves. Thank-you!

 Jaylynn Daniels stood, leaning against the one wall of the studio, watching as the original cast of High School Musical all chatted and joked around with one another. She was keeping to herself, and trying not to get in anyone’s way or be overly noticeable, as she was extremely nervous. She was new to this whole scene, as this would be her very first time acting in any sort of movie. Sure, she had done commercials and a few guest appearances on sitcoms here and there, but there was nothing like being in an actual movie for the very first time. She was extremely excited, but at the same time she was also extremely nervous and shy. How she’d managed to land this part, she’d no idea. She was usually very quiet, and kept to herself, and was more comfortable watching everyone, than everyone watching her. But, apparently, Disney had decided they liked her audition best for their new High School Musical movie. And so, here she stood, watching everyone else laugh and have a good time, while she rotted away into the drywall.

 

It was while she was standing there, that she began secretly checking out the guys that were the stars of the High School Musical movies. She’d seen all three movies before this one, and had been thoroughly impressed. And of course, like millions of other girls, had thought the guys were pretty hot. Though, unlike the millions of fans, she knew this movie would be far different than the previous three. This movie was actually based on the cast being in college; though for the auditions Disney had just listed it as High School Musical Four auditions. But, this one would be rather interesting to film, since it’d be a bit more adult than the other three movies preceding it. This was also the one that would make or break the whole High School Musical phenomenon.

 

“I wonder if they’ll ever even notice me?” Jaylynn wondered to herself, as she watched the girls hug the guys and they all continued on laughing. She shrugged slightly, as the director entered the room then, breaking her away from her thoughts – though, not her current position.

 

“Okay, we’re going to do a quick role call to ensure everyone’s all here,” the director stated. “There’s some new people, and I want to ensure they did indeed follow the instructions they’d been given.”

 

All the others nodded, and crowded around to listen for their names – though, it was rather obvious which of the old cast was already here. One by one, the director called out the names, in no particular order really – though, it seemed he was calling them by the old cast first, and the new cast members last.

 

Jaylynn was daydreaming once more, when she suddenly heard her name being called – apparently, she was the only new lead role, though there were new background people. She froze, unable to find her voice for a moment.

 

“Jaylynn Daniels, are you here or not?” The director demanded, trying not to become impatient. “If you are, please speak up, so we can get on with filming.”

 

“I’m here,” Jaylynn’s voice finally rang out, sounding more squeaky than she’d have liked.

 

“And where exactly is here?” The Director asked, scanning the crowd for his star newcomer.

 

“Here,” Jaylynn replied, shyly stepping forth to face the crowd of cast members. She felt her face growing hot as everyone turned to see who their new co-star was. She waved her left hand slightly, to signify it was her who had spoken.

 

Everyone murmured softly, as they checked out the new girl. Eventually, someone stepped forward.

 

“Hi, I’m Corbin,” the guy spoke, smiling at her warmly, holding his dark-skinned hand out toward her. “I play -”

 

“Chad Danport,” Jaylynn finished for him, her fair-skinned face turning a light pink hue colour. “I’ve, um, seen the movies…”

 

Another guy with blue eyes and brown hair stepped forward then, also smiling at her. “”Then you must know who I am,” he chuckled. “You must know who we all are.”

 

“Zac Efron, a.k.a. Troy Bolton,” Jaylynn blushed even more. “And I know the names of anyone who played a lead. I did my research, if you can call watching the movies a hundred times over research.”

 

“Seriously?” Corbin spoke up again. “Did you watch them that many times? Or are you just exaggerating?”

 

Jaylynn looked a bit uncomfortable, as she spoke with honesty. “Seriously,” she replied. “Ask any of my friends. Heck, even my Mom could tell you. Though, I’d rather no one ask her – she might have a few embarrassing stories to share.”

 

“Okay, now that we’ve all met the new girl, let’s get to work!” The director clapped. “We still need to get you guys into choreography, and you need to perfect the songs, and we need to start filming a.s.a.p.! Time is money folks!”

 

As everyone turned to head off where they needed to be, Corbin hung back to wait on Jaylynn. He figured it had to be hard for her, being new and trying to click with the already tight cast.

 

“So, am I ever going to get to hear any of these embarrassing High School Musical viewing stories?” He asked with a broad smile. “Or am I included on the ‘everyone who’s not to know’ list?”

 

Jaylynn coughed a little. “You’re mostly on the list,” she answered. “Though, I can admit to you that I did kind of squeal rather loudly, and literally fall off the couch when Zac came out shirtless in the last movie. But you can’t tell anyone that!”

 

Corbin chuckled. “Seems someone has a crush,” he teased, smiling more when he saw her blush again.

 

“I do not,” Jaylynn attempted to deny, finally giving up when she felt her face grow hot again. “Okay, maybe a small one! But can you blame me? It’s those eyes, I tell you!”

 

“Don’t worry, your secret’s safe with me,” Corbin assured her, as they reached where the choreography was to be taught. “Good luck today, and have fun.”

 

“Thanks,” Jaylynn smiled, as she moved to take her spot – trying her hardest not to squeal when she realized she was to be standing behind Zac for most of this one. Who knew she’d get such a nice view of him so soon? She blushed yet again, as she tried to derail her embarrassing thoughts.

 

Corbin chuckled to himself once more as he saw her, and had figured out what she was looking at. The poor girl would be lucky to make it through the whole routine with having a heart-attack, what with having that kind of view of Zac.

 

“What’s so funny, man?” Zac asked his friend then, having noticed him looking behind him. He cast a glance back, smiling at Jaylynn, then turned his gaze back upon Corbin.

 

“Nothing,” Corbin answered, flashing Jaylynn yet another smile. “Just something Jaylynn told me, that’s all.”

 

“What did she tell you?” Zac wanted to know.

 

“Nothing you need to know about,” Corbin answered. “Now, let’s do this man!”

 

The choreographer began teaching them the routine for the song currently blaring from the nearby boom box. He showed them the routine in bits and pieces, before finally putting it all together. The old cast learned rather quickly, as did some of the back-up dancers. But, Jaylynn was struggling a bit – partly because she wouldn’t stop staring at Zac – and Corbin.

 

“Jaylynn!” The chorographer exclaimed, standing before her after telling everyone to stop once more. “What seems to be the problem? Everyone else has picked most of the routine up, while you are still struggling? I thought I was sure your résumé had said that you were a trained dancer? Did you lie about that?”

 

Jaylynn shrunk some, hating to be put on the spot. “No, Sir. I didn’t lie about anything on my résumé.”

 

“Well, if you are a trained dancer, then why is it that people like Ashley, who’ve had no dance training, are picking up the routine much faster?” He demanded, as he waved a hand in Ashley Tisdale’s direction.

 

“I’m sorry, Sir,” Jaylynn apologized, feeling highly embarrassed. “I’ll try harder, I promise.”

 

“Everyone else can break for lunch,” he stated. “Jaylynn and I will stay here and figure out what seems to be the problem.”

 

The cast all glanced at Jaylynn as they walked past, some of them shaking their heads in annoyance, while others in sympathy.

 

“Man, that guy is hardcore,” Corbin commented, as he strolled off with his friends, an arm slung over Monique. “I mean, so what if she isn’t catching on as fast? This is her first day – the rest of us have had more time to get used to it all.”

 

“Well, maybe she shouldn’t’ve auditioned if she couldn’t keep up,” Vanessa commented. “And does she have to stare at Zac so much? I swear she’s going to end up burning holes in the back of his head from all the staring she’s been doing.”

 

“Intimidated much?” Ashley asked, raising her eyebrows at her friend, who’d her arm possessively around Zac’s upper right arm. “She said in the beginning she was a fan.”

 

“Well, she’s chosen the wrong time to be star struck,” Monique pointed out. “I’m not trying to be mean, but we do have a movie to complete here.”

 

Zac shook his head at them all. “Just give her some time,” he told them. “I’m sure she’ll do just fine, once she’s used to all of us. You try being the only new cast member, and having to be put on the spot for your mistakes.”

 

Corbin nodded his head in agreement, as the girls all shrugged. The group of them continued on to find the buffet table, all having had worked up an appetite.

 

Meanwhile, back in the rehearsal room, the choreographer was still pushing Jaylynn to try harder, though she’d been trying her hardest.

 

“Any harder, and I’m going to pass out,” she gasped finally.

 

The man snorted. “Figures, they send me an out of shape brat to deal with. First day or not, you ought to be catching on just as quickly as everyone else.”

 

“Hasn’t anyone ever told you that everyone learns at their own rate?” Jaylynn managed to get out, while trying to get her breathing under control. “I’ve never done this type of dance before.”

 

“Neither has Ashley, yet she picked it up quickly,” he retorted. “You ought to be more like her.”

 

“Ashley’s also danced in all three High School Musical movies,” Jaylynn pointed out. “I haven’t. And quit comparing me to Ashley. I’m not her, I’m Jaylynn.”

 

“You’ll also be unemployed if you don’t watch your attitude,” the choreographer stated calmly. “Now, I’d advise you to lose some weight, and get into shape and quick – before I tell the director you’re just not good enough for this movie and he fires you.”

 

Jaylynn stood there looking at him in shock. Did he really have to go and comment on her weight? She wasn’t fat by any means, but in her mind she was. In her mind, everything made her look fat and there was just nothing she could do about it.

 

“Now, I’d also advise you to continue rehearsing on your own, while I go get some lunch myself,” he told her. “And you’d better have learned most of it by the time I get back.”

 

With that said and done, he turned and left the room swiftly. Jaylynn stood there watching him, with hurt evident in her eyes, as well as unshed tears. She swallowed the lump that was now in her throat, and after taking a deep breath, began the routine again.

 

Fifteen minutes later, Corbin and Zac were heading back to the rehearsal room, wanting to goof around with the dance moves some, before getting back down to business. They’d left the girls to gossip, and the other guys were currently shooting hoops. As they neared the room though, they heard what sounded like someone crying, and picked up their pace. They were surprised to find the new girl curled up in the one corner, crying softly and muttering things to herself.

 

“Jaylynn?” Corbin spoke, as him and Zac both hurried on over to the young girl. “Are you alright? What’s wrong?”

 

“Are you hurt?” Zac wanted to know, as he casually checked her over for any injuries.

 

Jaylynn shied away from them both slightly, feeling highly embarrassed about being caught crying. She hated for anyone to see her cry.

 

“I’m – I’m fine,” she choked out finally. “Just – just let me be. Please.”

 

“Are you sure you’re okay?” Corbin checked, gently placing a hand on her back.

 

“You seem pretty upset for someone who says they’re okay,” Zac stated.

 

“There’s nothing you can do about it anyway,” Jaylynn shrugged slightly, her face buried in her hands.

 

“You know, you can tell us what’s wrong,” Zac told her gently. “It’s not like we’re going to get mad at you for it or anything.”

 

Jaylynn looked up at him them, seriousness showing in her eyes. “You can’t make me less fat, Zac,” she replied. “So why bother even trying? There’s nothing I can do about it, that wouldn’t be stupid to do to begin with. So what’s the point? I’m always going to be too fat, and too out of shape, and too stupid.”

 

“What?” Corbin said in disbelief. “Who told you that you were fat? Was it one of the girls?”

 

“And you’re not stupid,” Zac stated, cutting her off when he saw her about to protest. “Hey, we may not know you very well yet, but we know how to spot a bright young lady, and you’re definitely bright.”

 

“Not always,” Jaylynn grumbled softly, looking down in defeat. “I feel incredibly stupid right now, crying over something so – so stupid.”

 

Corbin shook his head. “Hey, it must’ve been important to cry about at the moment, so it’s alright to have done so. I know I’ve cried over something I thought was incredibly stupid, but really I’d very good reason to cry over it in the end.”

 

Jaylynn shrugged again. “So, what’re you guys doing back here before the end of lunch anyway?” She questioned curiously. “I highly doubt you came back here expecting to find me in a bawling mess.”

 

Zac chuckled and pulled her into a one armed hug. “Don’t worry about it, Kid. We just came back to mess around with the dance steps anyway.”

 

Jaylynn growled lowly in her throat at the mere mention of the dance routine. “Them stupid steps are gonna be the end of me! I mean, why doesn’t he do something a bit more interesting and less confusing? And why does that man have no patience whatsoever?!? Day one and he expects us all to be spectacular or something. ”

 

Corbin and Zac both shared a look over the top of Jaylynn’s head, having had easily figured out the root to her problems. This was their first time working with this choreographer, and neither of them had liked him from the very first moment they had met him. He seemed pushy, and seemed to have eyes for the girls – especially Ashley.

 

“And if he compares me to Ashley once more!” Jaylynn ranted, momentarily forgetting who her listeners were. “Yes, she’s cool and all, but I am not her!”

 

“And nobody here expects you to be,” Zac assured her. “Just be yourself.”

 

“You said the moves should be more interesting and less complicated,” Corbin piped up again, drawing their attention back to the previous conversation. “What would you have us doing, if you could?”

 

Jaylynn stood up, with their help, and stretched a little, cracking her back. “Well, I wouldn’t have us doing stupid hand claps,” she stated. “Not for that part of the song. Instead, I’d have us do this.”

 

The boys watched in awe as she did a one-handed back-flip, landing on her feet perfectly, as she began to dance. They watched her for a few minutes, going to turn the music on, so they could get a better idea of it. The sound of the music drew the girls in, as well as the rest of the old cast. They watched curiously, as Zac and Corbin joined Jaylynn in doing her dance moves – obviously, they’d seen them a couple times beforehand.

 

A short while later, the choreographer came storming into the room angrily, ripping the boom box cord from the wall. “What is going on in here?” He demanded. “Who changed my routine to this foolishness?!”

 

Everyone eyed one another momentarily, before Ashley stepped forward. “I did,” she told him, after having had flashed Jaylynn a quick smile. “Is there a problem?”

 

“Did I say foolishness?” He retracted. “I meant greatness! This routine is fantastic! I absolutely love it Ashley. Why don’t you all show it to me again?”

 

Jaylynn snorted, causing everyone else to snicker some, as they all once more took their places and began doing the new dance routine.