- Text Size +
~A Year And A Half Earlier~

The drive home was silent; almost deafening. She couldn't believe the news the doctor had handed them this time. They'd tried every natural method known to man to have children but what the doctor had told them was just unfathomnable. There was no way it could be true. He pulled in the drive and fled the vehicle. He stormed in the front door not even looking back to see where she was. She could understand his demeanor but even when he was upset, he always opened her car door. She stepped out of the vehicle and made her way into the house. She knew his moods like the back of her hand and if she wasn't in the house ASA and P, she wouldn't have a home anymore."Kevin?"Jordan questioned."Kevin?"she inquired as she searched the house from top to bottom finally finding him in their bedroom looking out over the estate."Kev,"she said touching his shoulder; attempting to reach out to him in some fashion.
"Could you just leave me be for awhile. I don't wanna talk about it."
"But Kevin. I think we do need to talk about it."
"Why? The fact that I could possibly never give you children is just a subject you're dyin to get into?"He said turning back to her with ferocity in his eyes.
"But the doctor said we could have children. He said
"I know what he said and I will not have my child bore of any unnatural methods. I want our child created from love."
"But don't you get it Kevin? It would be from you. It would be of our love."
"So when our little one starts getting curious about the birds and the bees we tell them that we had to plant daddy's seed in mommy in order for it to grow?"
Dammit Kevin! You are so pigheaded sometimes I wonder how I ever get through to you."
"So now I'm pigheaded on top of having slow swimmers?"
"I love you Kevin Scott Richardson but until you come to your senses and realize we do have options, you come talk to me then. Not a minute before because I won't listen before then,"Jordan said as she stormed out of the room. Damn men! We could just line 'em all up like a firing squad, blindfold em and take aim. Then we could be a bunch of fat, happy women without a care in the world. Ugh! she groaned as she slammed cabinet doors in search of... Oh fuck! she didn't know now. She leaned against the cabinet. His fire was one of the many things she loved about him but not when he was angry. It was truly frustrating to no end but he was a man and he'd just been told that he was.. well less than adequate in his masculinity. No amount of comforting or consoling was gonna take that feeling away anytime soon. She heard the front door slam and continued her search for something, anything. Just as long as it would keep her mind from the obvious.
"What's going on?"
Jordan jumped back three feet."Jeez! You scared me. How'd you get in?"
" Nice to see you too. Your loving husband breezed by me without saying a word. What's going on?"
"Nothing Brian. Nothing I can talk about right now anyway. Can I get you anything?"
"No thank you,"he said pulling up a chair at the table.
Jordan grabbed a can of coke from the refrigerator and sat across the table from him."So what brings you here today?"
"Nothing much. I just thought I'd come for a visit. But something is obviously troubling you two."
Jordan popped the top on her can and took a deep breath."We just got back from the doctor."
"No good news again? Haven't you two been trying forever?"
"Yes and now,"she hesitated."Well now they're telling us we might not be able to have children the natural way."
"But you can have children."
"Yeah but old mulie out there refuses to have em any other way than what god intended."
"I see."
"I really wish I could tell ya the whole story Bri but he'd have my head."
"I understand but if you need somebody, anybody, just give me a call okay?"He said his hand covering hers. A simple gesture that shouldn't bother her because he'd done it a hundred times before but it was more likely her state of mind that let her mind wander to greener pastures. Brian was a nice guy. It was a wonder some girl hadn't snatched him up already. She diverted their problems to focus on him."You know I'm amazed some woman hasn't snatched you up already."
"I'll take that as my cue to leave."
"You don't have to leave."
"Yeah I do. You and Kev need to hassle this out your own way. I'll let myself out."
"Thanks for understanding."
"That's what friends are for."
Friends. So that's what they call those? She mused as she heard the door close.

Two hours later, Kevin came back in and followed his nose to the kitchen. Jordan must be upset. She's whipping up a feast fit for a king as he approached the kitchen full of baked goods and dinner.
"Hey,"he said as her eyes met his briefly.
"Are you ready to talk?"She said continuing to tend to her meal.
"Jordan."
"What?"she said looking up and continued stirring the gravy she was concocting.
"Would you stop for just a second? I'm ready to talk."