- Text Size +
If she didn't appear to be excited about their news, there was nothing further from the truth. She just had a lot more to contend with than Kevin. What was gonna happen when the family found out? His Mother had been hounding him for ages about grandchildren. It's not like she didn't already have one but she guessed that Momma Richardson was thinking the worst of her. She made it perfectly well known to Jordan last year at Christmas that she was watching her. That she had noticed the 'goings on' between her and Brian. She had no proof but as Jordan was quickly finding out, motherly instincts kick in the minute you become pregnant. His Mother was just protecting him but she knew. She knew she wasn't the only one keeping that secret from Kevin. And as fate would have it, she was gonna have to deal with Momma sooner rather than later. She decided to have a little Birthday dinner for a few close family and friends. They were in the living room, socializing and having a good time. Kevin's fingers tangled with hers. Things were going just fine with them. Their dream finally coming true.
"Happy Birthday cos,"Brian approached and hugged his cousin; temporarily seperating her from Kevin.
"Thank you."
"So where's your better half?"Jordan inquired of Brian.
"Right here,"LeighAnne said and pecked Brian on the cheek.
It shouldn't bother her but it still did. She knew that most intimate part of him as well as LeighAnne did. Probably better considering how long they'd known each other. Yet there was a comfort between the two of them she hadn't seen him ever having with another woman; herself included.
"You are positively glowing these days Jordan. What's your secret?"She bubbled.
"Should we tell them?"Jordan looked to Kevin inquisitively.
"We were gonna wait til we had everybody in here."
"I'll go grab Mom,"his older brother volunteered but before he could reach her the lights went out and the candles from the cake were the only ones illuminating the room. After a rendition of Happy Birthday, he let loose on the candles and the first inquiry came from his Mother of course."So'd your wish come true?"
He looked at his Mother and smiled,"Absolutely." And squeezed Jordan's hand.
"So what's this news I'm hearing about?"
"Well Mom, you know how you'v been bugging us for the pitter patter of little feet. Well, we just found we're pregnant."
The smile that should have shown joy was there more for show."That's great baby. Do you all know what you're having or are you gonna surprise us?"
"Come on Mom. We don't even know that yet. We just found out yesterday."
Jordan saw the discomfort in Brian the minute the words dropped from Kevin's mouth but he plastered on the joy as well. God but could this family fake it! No wonder she fit in so well. She knew exactly what he was thinking and she tried her best to answer him with her eyes but that was near impossible with Momma Richardson in the room. Momma knew too.
"Jordan. Can I have a word with ya darlin?"His Mother inquired.
She knew it was coming."Sure. I'll be right back sweetie,"she said and pecked Kevin on the cheek. She followed the older woman to the back porch.
"So are you going to tell him?"She started out.
Nothing like getting right to it."Tell him what?"
"I know what's going on Jordan and I don't like it one bit."
"Whatever you think is going on is not."
"Really now? I saw the way you were looking at Brian in there."
"I don't know what you think you saw but I can assure you, there's nothing there."
"I love my son Jordan. Don't break his heart."
"I love your son too. That's why I have no intention of telling him anything."
"So you admit there was something then?"
"You're gonna believe what you want Mom, so we'll just leave it at that,"she said; turning and running smack dab into the negative source of their conversation.
"I'm sorry. I was just coming out for some fresh air,"He lied.
Anne glared at Jordan as she passed to rejoin the festivities.
Jordan heaved a sigh as she turned back to the night sky.
"She knows, doesn't she?" Brian said.
"Ya think?"She remarked sarcastically and turned her back to him; arms crossed.
"I'm sorry Jordan. What did you think was gonna happen? That nobody would find out?" Moving in front of her.
"If you're out here much longer, Tim may start putting two and two together. Kevin's long forgotten the idea his Mother put in his head because of the baby."
"I know. I just have to know one thing though Jo." He raised his brow inquisitively.
"No." At least she didn't think so.