- Text Size +
"Mornin' sunshine."
Her eyes fluttered open to meet with those gorgeous green eyes of her husband's. He was kneeled beside the bed.
"Happy anniversary baby."
"You remembered."
"It may fall on Thanksgiving occasionally but I never forget the day I married you."
She smiled."I love you."
"I love you too angel. That's why I couldn't wait to give you this." He picked up a small package from the floor." For you."
"You are too good to me." She eased up in the bed so she was leaning against the mountain of pillows.
"And you just get more beautiful with each passing day Jo-Jo. Open it please."
Like a little kid at Christmas he was."Okay." She tore through the paper and found a small white box in her hands. She removed the lid."Oh Kev. It's beautiful." She admired the oval shaped locket with the intricate vinery engraved on it. She lifted it by the chain out of the box. She opened the locket to find her baby picture and a baby picture of his. Her jaw dropped in awe."How did you do this without me knowing?"
"I can do a lot of things without you finding out."
"Oh really?"
"Yeah but as you've pointed out, not very many really. Look on the back."
She flipped the locket closed and looked on the back side of it to find the engraving of Jo-Jo &Kev Forever. She tried holding back the tears of joy but couldn't. Damn hormones! Then again, he always got way sentimental on their anniversary but it didn't change the fact that she was a complete mess."You just love doing this to me every year don't you?"
"I just love making you happy sweetness."
"I know. Thank you. It's beautiful,"she blubbered. Wiping the tears away. "I can't wait to show this off. You think I'm all girlie, wait til Leigh Anne gets a load of this."
"I'm glad you've hit it off with her."
"Me too. She's good for Brian." She had finally got past that twinge of jealousy that coiled in her stomach every time she thought of them together. Leigh Anne was just a nice girl anyway. She could see herself becoming friends with her more quickly had the circumstances been different. What she didn't know wasn't going to hurt her. Leigh Anne and Brian were perfect for each other. Jordan and Brian were making a great cover of their brief fling by remaining the friends that they were. Not that they couldn't ever be friends again. She just wasn't sure the facade would last much longer. After all, the last time she was with Brian was just a few days before she'd finally restored relations with her husband. In the back of her mind she knew that this baby could just as easily be Brian's. She tried not to think about that but it snuck in there every now and again."So what time we supposed to be at your Mom's?"
"You in a hurry to get there today?"
"Just because I ask what time we're supposed to be there does not mean I'm in a rush to get there."
"That's what I thought but it's pushing ten fifteen and we have to be over there around noon."
"And I'm sure your brother and his lovely wife are running right on time."
"They're never on time."
"Which means my fat ass and Leigh Anne will most likely be helping with the finishing touches on dinner."
"No you won't. You're not doing anything physical other than walking today."
"Sure."
"You don't believe me?" He pulled the blankets away and leaned over her slightly rounded figure. "Hey there little one. I got an idea. Why don't I help you and your momma there to the bathroom so she can get cleaned up?" He leaned his ear against her stomach; looking up at her and carrying on as though the baby really had any say in his decision." Okay. You got it little one." He placed a kiss on her belly then lifted her out of the bed.
"You are a nutcase Richardson." Her arms wrapping around his neck for support.
"Yeah but you love me anyway."
Something she'd taken for granted for far too long and would never deny again.


"Oh my goodness Jordan! That is gorgeous!" Leigh Anne gushed as she and Jordan sat at the table gabbing before dinner.
"Thank you. Did you see inside it?"
"No!" She opened it.
"Awwwww.........That is so sweet!"
Kevin looked over their way when he heard the noise. Jordan just gave him a 'see what I told you' smirk. He just shook his head and returned to his conversation.
"He's just been so adorable since we found out. He's started talking to my stomach."
"That's supposed to be good for the baby I hear though."
"Yeah it is. He even reads it a story before we go to bed too. Just when you think you can't be any more in love with them."
"That's so true."
"Did you see what was on the back too?" Jordan leaned on the table and offered the back of the locket to her.
"That is so sweet! Brian! Come here baby! You gotta see this!" She called to him in the living room. A room full of men shushing her; their intent on the screen in front of them.
"Hey darlin. What do I need to see?"He leaned over and kissed her cheek.
"Jordan's anniversary gift. It's so beautiful."
He leaned over the table and took it in his hand.
"Open it,"Leigh Anne urged him.
She felt her heart racing. Please God just let him get this overwith!
He held it there and looked Jordan in the eye. Could she be any colder? He knew she was lying the night of Kevin's party. There was every possibility the baby was his. She just didn't want to have to deal with that possibility and every time Kevin did something like this, it only cut into him more. He wanted a family of his own someday. Someday that was going to be with Leigh Anne. That much he was sure of. It still hurt though. If he hesitated much longer, Leigh Anne was gonna notice."That's nice Jordan. Kev's so excited about the baby. He can't stop talking about it."
"Would you excuse me for a minute? I'm not feeling so hot." Pushing herself up from the table she made a beeline(as quickly as she could move these days) for the nearest bathroom. She shoved the door closed and heaved up the dry toast and tea after her first bout that morning. It wasn't so much the pregnancy this time though. She knew it was the guilt that was eating at her conscience. As mentioned earlier, it was getting more difficult to disguise the way they felt toward one another. Brian had a part of her Kevin would hopefully never find out about and it seemed that Brian was doing better at this game than she was. Damn him!
"Jordan?" Came the feminine voice from the other side." It's Leigh Anne. You okay in there? You been awhile. I told the boys I'd check on you."
"Yeah. Thank you. Give me just a second okay?"
"Alright hun,"She agreed and stood outside the door.
Jordan dipped her hand under the running faucet and rinsed the foul flavor out of her mouth before opening the door.
"Dear Lord. You still look green."
"It's not as bad as it used to be."
"Not all fun and game huh?"
"Well if you call swelled ankles, losing your mind and constant back pain fun then yeah it is,"she joked. If she only knew the real reason, she'd hate her with a passion.
"Something to look forward to."
Jordan laughed."If we only knew when we were girls what all this was about, we'd think twice about it."
"Or make them go through it."
They entered the dining room giggling like a couple of schoolgirls.
"I see you're feeling better,"Kevin said.
"A little bit yeah. Mind if I sit though?"
"You know better than to ask that." He took a seat next to her.
As she settled she felt the slight stirring in her stomach. Then it started getting stronger. More like a kick now. "Kev. Honey. Feel this." Pulling his hand over her stomach.
His eyes lit up."We got us a strong one there."
"Yes we do." She kissed him. Had to be his.
"That's so sweet,"Leigh Anne commented to Brian. She could feel Brian withdraw from her. She knew he was uncomfortable but she couldn't understand exactly why."Everything okay pooh bear?" Taking his hand.
"Yeah I'm fine. Just a little jealous is all." He hated lying to her but if she knew the real reason, he would lose her. He couldn't lose her. He prayed to God that he was wrong about what his gut told him about the baby. He needed that like he needed a hole in the head.
"Me too but we've got all the time in the world baby."
"Yes we do."Forever he hoped.