- Text Size +
Christmas was as about uneventful as you could get. Well they did spend it with family but Brian and Leigh Anne spent the holiday with her family. However, New Year's Eve was a different story. Leigh Anne wanted to have a dinner party to ring in the new year and the way she talked about Brian, she knew that he would never deny her a single wish. Maybe he would get that cockamamie idea out of his head that this child growing inside her was his and start a family of his own. She couldn't blame him but she didn't want to believe in that possibility anymore. Kevin was so happy and she didn't want to deny him that happiness. Lord knows that one little word would be all it took to destroy her marriage. She didn't want that either. She'd never been more in love with him than she was now. He was more excited about this child than she was. Not to say that she wasn't, she just wasn't as enthusiastic as he was.
"Something on your mind Jo-Jo?" Kevin reached over and took her hand after putting the vehicle into park.
"I'm okay. Why?"
"You just seemed a million miles away on the way over here."
"Just thinking about what we're gonna do with the nursery."She hated lying to him like that but she'd die if he really knew what was going on up there. It was the only lie she'd ever told him in their entire marriage.
"That one I'm leaving to you baby."
"Thanks so much."
"I'm just kidding. I want to be there for every part. You know that."
"I know. So are we gonna go in or just sit in the drive all night?" She teased.
"Give me a minute would you?" He exited the car and traveled around to her side; opening the door for her. He took her hand and assisted her out.
"You know how much I love you ?" She said once her feet were on the ground.
"More than I love you?" He cocked his eyebrow.
She slapped his chest playfully."Come on studly, let's go before they get suspicious."She took his hand and remained in step with him the entire path.
Leigh Anne greeted them at the door. " How is it you look so gorgeous all the time Jordan?"
"I feel like a blob."
"You are not a blob." Kevin assisted her with her coat after removing his."Where can I put these?"
"Let me take those,"Brian entered the hall."Looking lovely as always Jordan."Giving her a friendly squeeze before he took the coats from Kevin.
"What am I? Chopped liver?" Kevin looked at them both.
"When you can carry a baby Kev, we'll make sure get all the accolades in the world,"Brian teased.
"Come here." Jordan motioned his face closer to hers. " I think you look absolutely gorgeous tonight."And kissed him.
"You're just taking pity on me."
"I would never do that. I love you."
"Break it up you two,"AJ interfered.
"Happy New Year to you too,"Kevin greeted him.
"Every time I see you, you're all over her. It's a wonder you two don't have two or three little rugrats running around already."
"Not for a lack of trying,"Jordan grinned.
Kevin half smiled. It was hard not to think of the reason why it took so long for them to get pregnant then when somebody throws a curveball like that at you, it just hits so hard.
"Something I said?"AJ said.
Jordan took Kevin's hand and squeezed it."Nothing we can't handle."
"Gotcha. Listen, can I borrow Jordan for a few?"AJ asked Kevin.
"I guess." Kevin looked at her confused.
She shrugged."I'll be in there in a few." Kissing his cheek as he joined the others before turning back to AJ."So what's up?"
"I've been kinda curious about something since last new year's eve Jordan."
"I'm sure I don't know what you're talking about." Attempting to avoid the unavoidable.
"I'm sure you do. And?" He raised his brows.
"And what? That was last year."
"Are you sure?"
"I'm positive. We're both past it."
"That's good to know cuz it looks like he's finally found the one."
"I know. She and I have become friends. I know she loves him to death. I hope she is the one."
"Me too. Shall we join them now?"
"I think that might be a good idea."
"What was all that about?" Kevin inquired as she sat down beside him.
"Just something he thought happened last year at our party that didn't."
" You're not gonna tell me are ya?"
"Maybe later?" Praying he would forget.
"You got it sweetness." Kissing her forehead.

The remainder of the evening would not remain uneventful as was said before. After enjoying a delightful meal, Brian herded them all into the living room for an important announcement."As you all know, Leigh Anne and I have only been seeing each for a very short time but in that time she has become an important part of my life. So much so that I don't think I could imagine it without her there,"he said as he got down on one knee. " So Leigh Anne Wallace, will you spend the rest of your life with me?" Producing the ring.
Tears of joy spilled from her eyes as she nodded her answer. Then she grabbed his face and kissed him.
Holding the ring up."Perhaps you might want this as well?" Brian teased.
"You goober."She smacked him lightly then let him put the ring on. "I love you too."
Jordan painted on a smile. Shit! If he did it with that locket, she could do it with this. Surely they had to be past all the petty stuff. Seemed like he only had eyes for Leigh Anne. Jordan was the first to get a good look at the ring as Leigh Anne came over to show it off.
Leigh Anne looked at Kevin."Did you have any idea he was gonna do this?"
"None. He didn't tell a one of us. Congratulations. I'll be back in a second Jo-Jo." Kissing her cheek before leaving the girls to get giddy.
She sat down next to Jordan." I can't believe he did this."
"It was a surprise."
"I had a feeling something was up. He'd been fidgety all day."
"I'm so happy for you Leigh. I really am. Now let me see that thing." She could feel Brian's eyes on her but she ignored it and admired the ring."Now it's my turn to gush. That is absolutely dazzling. He does know you doesn't he?"
She giggled."Yeah I guess he does."
"Congratulations Leigh. You guys are perfect for each other."
"Yes we are." Brian slid in beside her and wrapped his arm around her.
"I'm so happy for you two. So do you have an idea of when you want to get married?"
"Early fall,"they answered in unison.
"I guess you've discussed this."
"Yeah but I had no idea he was going to propose tonight. If you'll excuse me, I'm gonna go show this thing off." Leigh Anne excused herself and left them alone.
An awkward silence grew between them before Brian finally made the first attempt." So you're good with this?"
"What did you expect Brian? I'm not about to make a scene. Nothing for me to make one about. This is your night. You should be over the moon that I'm not."
"You're not happy then?"
"I didn't say that. I just want to be able to get back to a place where you and I aren't always tiptoeing around each other when we have a conversation. We are adults."
"With a history."
"Yeah. We do have one but you have Leigh Anne now and I have Kevin. Let's just leave it at that. I don't want you to lose her over my mistake."
"She is the best isn't she?"He got a big old silly grin on his face.
"She is the luckiest girl alive right now because she has you. Congratulations from the bottom of my heart." Now relay that to your brain.