- Text Size +
So we're back to where we started. A little over eighteen hours and little Catherine Anne Richardson found her way into the world and right into her Daddy's heart. Kevin was overjoyed and she was just flat out exhausted.
When they took her to make sure she had all the vitals and clean her up, Kevin looked down at his Jo-Jo;beaming. Finally, they had a family. Not that he wouldn't have been happy with her alone but little Katie Anne(Jordan humored him on this one) they were complete.”How is it you still look so incredibly beautiful?”
She knew he was trying to make her feel better but she was tired ,sore and knew she looked a mess.”Don't lie to me. I can feel the hair sticking to my forehead.”
He leaned in closer, taking her hand and whispered,”I know and it's just as sexy as it was when we made love the first time.”
People say children tear you apart and this one did for awhile but the minute he knew they were going to have a baby, it was just the opposite. They became closer. She never thought she'd be so thankful for something so simple. Well it wasn't so simple but Kevin didn't need to know that he may not be the biological reason she was there. All that mattered was that she was. Brian never questioned it after Kevin's Birthday but she could always see it in the back of his mind every time they got together with he and Leigh Anne. And Leigh had been wonderful. She couldn't wait to have children with Brian but they still had to get married. And that was about three months down the road for them yet.”I love you.”
“I love you too Jo-Jo. I'm gonna go make a few calls okay?”
“You mean you didn't call everybody the minute we got here?” she teased.
“I wanted to be here through everything with you baby. We'd done it this far I figured I was in for the long haul.”
“You had the easy part,”she teased.
“None of this has been easy but I'm glad we made it.”
“Me too.”She kissed him softly.”Now go call your Mother. She'll be livid if you don't tell her she has a granddaughter.”
“Yes ma'am.”
She watched him as he walked away. She really couldn't imagine going through this with anybody else but him. The day she met him, she knew he would be the father of her children. Somehow, someway. The nurse rolled her into the room in the hospital bassinet.”Would you like to hold her now Mrs. Richardson?”
“I would love to.”
The nurse carried the tiny bundle wrapped up in white blankets.
Jordan cradled Catherine Anne in her arms. Her tiny little eyes blinked open and looked up into the big world surrounding her, but mostly just at Jordan. She had his jet black hair and her big blue eyes. Let's hope the eyes stayed that way but it was her nose that Jordan could see the difference. Not that anybody else but his mother might notice. She hadn't felt that mothering instinct kick in until those helpless little eyes looked up to her for answers. It seemed like Kevin had been gone forever when he came back into the room. She never knew how she could feel his eyes on her but she'd never seen such love in his eyes as she did at that moment.
“How are my girls doing?”He approached the bed. He was a Father now. It was finally real. All the hell they had to go through to get here.
Jordan bit her lip. She was going to break down any minute she thought. She never was very sentimental but now that she had a family it felt different.
“Jo?”
“You want to hold her?” She managed.
“You know I do but are you okay?”
“I will be. Here.”
“Are you sure?”
“Kev, please. She's your daughter too you know.” She smiled.
“I know but I'm worried about you.”
“It's that hormonal thing again. I'll be fine.”
He was holding off as long as he could. He did want to hold her but he was afraid to. He wasn't supposed to be afraid of anything.
“See how I'm holding her?” She could see he was scared.
He nodded.
“Just do it that way and she'll be fine. And so will you.”Looking him directly in the eye.
Kevin cautiously took the child into his arms and his heart swelled. This tiny little life he helped to create wriggled in her material wrapping and blinked her eyes a couple of times and stretched her mouth in a yawn as wide as she could before her eyes closed.
She didn't think she would be as emotional as she was when she watched him cradle their child in his arms for the first time. Then again, they'd been through a lifetime of struggle for just this one little girl. She prayed to God everyday that Brian wasn't the Father and never would question it again. The world was just them at that minute. It didn't occur that anybody would arrive so quickly. The gentle knock on the open door brought her out of her state.
“I heard somebody has a new addition to their family. We can come back though,”Brian said; Leigh Anne's hand firmly in his.
“It's okay. You can come in. Katie Anne and I are just a little tired.”
“Katie Anne?”
“Kevin's idea. Her full name is Catherine Anne.”
“It's a beautiful name,”Leigh Anne said.
Kevin didn't want to put her back in the rolling bed but the nurse had come back for her.”We're gonna take her back to the nursery for a few hours. She needs her rest. As does Mommy I'm sure.”
Kevin looked at the woman and conceded to her wish. His daughter already had him wrapped around her little finger.
“We'll go coo at her through the nursery window and let you get some rest. We just wanted to see the little miracle,”Leigh Anne offered.
“Sure thing. Congratulations you two,”Brian said as he was gently pulled out the door by his fiance. They were looking at her through the window and he was almost relieved that she looked more like Kevin than she did him. Although a part of him wished she was his. He didn't know why. Sure he wanted to be a Father one day but he also knew that it was wrong to want another man's child to be his own when the woman that gave him that chance was so obviously in love wit her husband. “Everything okay Bri?” Leigh Anne turned his eyes to hers.
“I'm fine. She's a beautiful little girl isn't she?”
“Yes she is and one day we'll make one just as beautiful.”