- Text Size +
Kevin played the proud pappa while Jordan got some rest early that morning. Mom and baby were both healthy. Kevin had even done the finger/toe count. It was cute. And to say it's cute on him, not something you want to tell him. He's too strong to think he's anything but virile now. And she wasn't about to take it away from him. He had a child. A child he never thought he would have after their last appointment with the fertility doctors. As far as little Katie Anne was concerned, she was the most beautiful thing. It's amazing how something so small and delicate turns a grown man into a puddle of mush. She saw it the minute their daughter looked up at him. She stole his heart. She had Jordan's heart as well. She finally gave her husband, the man she loved, the one thing he wanted more than anything in the world to have with her but at the same time a part of her knew the reality of their situation. So did his Mother. Anne had everybody clear the room, including her son so she could talk to her. Once the door was closed she looked at Jordan like she'd committed a major crime.
“I think you know what I'm about to say and you know I'm not one to mix words.”
“I know.” Great. Mamma Richardson had her daughter in law right where she wanted her and there was nothing she could do.
“You have a beautiful child there and Kevin adores her but I think you and I both know that's not his child.”
She'd been waiting for that one all afternoon. So yeah, it wasn't a big shocker at all when Anne approached it.” Just because she has a feature that runs in your family tree means she's not his.”
“I think you know what I'm talking about. I saw it that Christmas the two of you were still trying to give me grandchildren. I'm not as blind as my son. He loves you and would do anything for you but you don't want to know what I'll do if you break my boy's heart.”
“What makes you think he's blameless Anne? Just because he's your son doesn't make him perfect. Do you even know all the hell we went through to get here? If you knew your son half as well as you think you do, you wouldn't be threatening me.”
“I thought that mothering instinct had kicked in for you Jordan. I guess I was wrong.”
“Don't you dare! I love that child and would do anything to protect her but threatening people isn't going to help her.”
“Then lying to him isn't going to help her either.”
“So she has your brother's nose, it's not the end of the world.”
“It will be to him if he thinks it belongs to my nephew.”
“Say what you really want to because I'm pretty sure I'm not gonna like it.”
“You and Brian. I saw the way he looked at you. I heard the conversation you had when you and Kevin announced you were pregnant. You can deny it all you want but I know the truth.”
“This is why you and I never had a cordial relationship Anne because you've always thought I was doing your son wrong. So if you wanna see me cry today, it's not gonna happen.”
“I just want you to be honest with my boy. He deserves that much,”She said and left the room.
Cheryl passed Anne and sat down in the chair next to the bed.”Everything okay?”
“Had me a kleenex or three hundred will ya?” Jordan started blubbering.
“What did Anne do?”
“What she does best. Ruin every happy moment in our lives. More like just for me. Wouldn't want to blame her precious little boy for anything.”
“Well I can kind of understand her suspicion if it is what I think it is.”
“She practically accused me of sleeping with him.”
“But you told me you didn't.”
“I didn't,”Jordan lied as she blew her nose.”But she's had it out for me since the day Kevin brought me home to meet her.”
“Well I kind of got that treatment from her as well the first time but I learned to play her game. Instead of battling her, I was polite when we got together with her then went home and flung my pillow against a few walls. I married her son, not her.”Chery lowered her voice to a whisper. “And between you and me, I think she's a bitch on wheels too.”
Jordan laughed.”Thanks. I needed that. Even if you don't mean it.”
“I do though. Just take her with a grain of salt. You've got a beautiful little girl and everybody's in love with her. This day is about you and your child, well mostly your child, so be a proud parent and enjoy it. She can't take that from you.”
The nurse interrupted them.”I'm sorry to interrupt but we're going to try our first feeding.”
“I understand. Believe me,”Cheryl smiled and patted Jordan's arm; whispering.” It's all going to work out. You'll see. We'll come back and visit again tomorrow.”
“Thanks again Cheryl. I really did need that.”
“That's what family's for. Take care of yours,”she said and left them in the room. Jordan knew the truth but she had her husband back and she wasn't about to let this make the end of it.


Brian and Leigh Anne were about to head out that afternoon when Anne approached them.”Could I have a word with you Brian?”She said.
“Sure.”
“Alone.”
“Give us a minute Leigh?”
“Sure thing. I'll go coo at Katie Anne some more. Come get me when you're done.”
“You got it darlin'.”Giving her a sweet peck on the lips before she left them alone.
He turned to Anne.”I don't think I have to guess what this is about do I?”
“You're a smart boy Brian. There are only three of us that really know who's child that is but I'm going to let Jordan tell my son because I'm not going to be the one to break his heart.”
“Do you really know why it took them so long to have a child Anne? Did you ever stop and ask your perfect boy?”
“ I can't believe you're talking back to me like that.”
“I'm a grown man. Not a child anymore and I'll speak to you like an adult. Kevin was the reason they had trouble giving you a grandchild. His little swimmers couldn't make it upstream like they should. They tried everything under the sun to have that child. So if I had anything to do with it, he doesn't need to be any the wiser. I've never seen my cousin smile like that in his entire life.”He lowered his voice and continued.”And I'm not going to apologize for what happened between Jordan and myself. She's the one that called it off. She may not be the dream daughter in law you wanted for Kevin but she makes him happy. So if Katie Anne is mine, I don't want to know. I'm getting married in two months and am going to have a family of my own one day. Let it be.”
“Does your father know how you treat your elders?”
“I listen to my father and respect him but he does the same of me. He knows I'm a grown man. Maybe you should start treating Kevin like one.”And walked away. He knew all the possibilities when Jordan announced her pregnancy but he also knew what they'd gone through. All his cousin ever wanted was a family. Now he had one. If he needed a little assistance along the way, nobody need be the wiser.