- Text Size +
Jordan sat parked outside his house for what seemed to be an eternity. He had said ANYTIME. She felt like she'd be intruding without calling first though. She'd left their house in such a rush she didn't even grab her purse. Knowing her luck, it'd be the first time she get pulled over. Luckily she hadn't. She was startled from her thought by a knock on the window. She rolled the window down."You gonna sit out here all day?" Brian inquired.
"Hadn't thought about it but I thought I'd be intruding if I didn't call first."
"Don't be silly. You know you're welcome anytime Jordan. So you wanna come in and talk about it? It's mighty cold out here darlin'."
What was it with these Kentucky boys and the word darlin'? Their version of sweetie or what? But it sounded weird coming from anyone other than her husband."That's about where I left him too."
"What? Out in the cold?"
"He came chasing after me in his socks."
Brian chuckled."Can't wait to hear this one. Now get out of there and come on in before I freeze my ass off."
And a nice one it is. Okay. Where did that come from? She rolled her window up and locked up the vehicle."Okay.Fine. But I really wanted to see if your ass would freeze off,"Jordan teased as they headed toward the house.
"Hey now! You're married to my cousin. Watch your manners young lady,"he returned with a playful tone.
"Do I have to?"Jordan said as he opened the door and let her in first. She removed her gloves and shoved them in her coat pocket.
"Only if you don't want a spanking."
The thought unraveling in her head. Get it together girl! She scolded herself."Now who should be behaving?"she said as he assisted her with her coat.
"Okay. So can I get anything to warm you up?"he said before realizing the words that had stumbled forth from his lips.
You're doing just fine by yourself there. Dammit Jordan! I know you're mad at Kevin right now but Brian? Please! "Um, cocoa if you've got it. If not, coffee or tea is just fine."
Thank god she ignored the innuendo written all over that one."Coming right up. Have a seat and I'll be back in a jif."
"Thank you,"she said and looked out the window. The snow had started falling again. Great! She looked out the window and saw that Brian had a clear view of her the entire time she'd been sitting there. How long had he been watching her fidget behind the wheel before she didn't care where she was anymore. But before she had time to complete another thought, his voice broke through once again."You're in luck. I found some cocoa."
She turned from the window and accepted the mug graciously." She sat on one of the chairs opposite Brian.
"So what happened?"
"We came back from yet another appointment and he's blaming me this time."
"I think there's more to this than your saying."
"I don't know if I should say anything. I think it would just devastate him if anybody found out."
"What's going on Jordan? Maybe you're just trying too hard."
"I wish it were that simple."
"So if it's not you then what's up with him."
Jordan took a deep breath and exhaled."You swear you won't say anything to him if I tell you the real reason why we're having trouble?"
"Stays right here."
"Well we found out the last time that his,"Jordan blushed at the thought herself.
"His what?"
"His little swimmers aren't quite as speedy as we need them to be."
"Is that all?"
"Is that all?"
"Well you can still have kids other ways right?"
"You're telling me you wouldn't be upset if this happened to you?"
"Of course I would but there are other ways to conceive and it can still be yours."
"Now I know who the real brains are in your family."
"Kevin's not stupid. He's just stubborn."
"Don't I know it. We tried it my way this time and now it's my fault because it didn't work. Well I tried stopping him outside and he flung me over his shoulder and kept me captive until he got to the couch where he ever so gracefully dropped me. That's how he got outside in socks. He decided he was ready to talk and I decided he could wait this time."
"Boy I hope the children you two have don't pick up that stubborness from either one of you."
"Me? Stubborn? Please!" Jordan said taking an unladylike swig of her cocoa."Ouch! Dammit!"She yelped after the boiling hot liquid scorched her throat.
"Are you okay Jordan?"
"Yeah. I'll be fine."
"I don't mean to interfere but either one of you could stand to give a little once in awhile and it wouldn't kill you."
"Tell that to Mr. My way or the highway."
"He did try it your way. Now give a little Jordan and let things happen the way he wants for awhile and then see how things work out. You know you want to go home and make up with him."
"Is it that obvious?"
"Since the minute you pulled in the drive."
"How long did I sit there?"She said meeting his gaze directly.
"I don't know. Ten, maybe fifteen minutes. Why?"
"Just curious."
"Jordan. Go home and make up with him. He may be stubborn but he does love you. He told me the first day he met you that you were the woman he would be sharing all his tomorrows with."
"His exact words?"
"His exact words. Now go."
She stood, leaned toward his cheek and lightly pecked it."Thank you."
"Anytime."
"I know the way out. I'll just let myself out,"she said feeling a slight bit of awkwardness and not really knowing why. Okay. She knew why. She was just mad at Kevin and Brian was there reassuring and comforting her. Letting her know everything was gonna be okay despite the friction. Then why was the thought of friction with him sounding so good these days? Stop it! You love Kevin and you know it. You don't wanna ruin the one good friendship you do have outside of your female friends.
Dang hormones! he thought; hoping she didn't notice the painful distraction pressed firmly against the material of his jeans. A kiss on the cheek. Come on Brian! Get it together! She's married to Kevin. You've gotta find you a woman. And fast.