- Text Size +
Kevin saw her approaching the house; her tearstained face visible. He knew he'd been an ass earlier but he didn't like the looks of her demeanor. He opened the door hoping she would talk to him and she did something he never expected her to being as she was mad at him. She ran straight into his arms; the tears flowing freely. He wasn't sure what to do so he stroked her hair; calming her. Tim came into see why the door was standing wide open. He looked at Kevin and looked at Jordan now sobbing in his arms. He raised his brows in question toward his brother and all Kevin could do is return the same quizzical expression. Tim closed the door and left them alone. She was still sobbing in Kevin's arms when she heard Brian's voice behind her.
"Everything okay?"Brian inquired nonchalantly. Just as he should have.
"I dont' know. She won't say anything. Did you two have words?"
Come on Brian. Something good."She told me you two had a fight on the way over and I took your side. She took it the wrong way I guess."
"You're damn straight I took it the wrong way,"she turned around and looked at him; making an attempt to further disguise their indiscretion.
"I'm sorry Jordan but he is family. You're not."
Could that have been any colder than what she had just done to him? She deserved that one she guessed."Nice Brian. I'm married to him but I'm not a part of this family. That makes perfect sense."
"I'm just saying what I feel Jordan. If you'll excuse me,"he said leaving them in the entryway.
"So he knows about what's going on then?"He said; his comforting arms now gone.
"He's the only one Kev."
"Are you sure cuz we could go announce it to the rest of the clan right now if it'd make you feel better."
"Dammit Kevin! I don't like fighting with you but if you want, I'll leave and you can have your fun old fashioned family Christmas without me."
"Jordan."
"No really. Give me the keys and I'll leave. You can stay."
"Come on Jordan."
"No. You want your family to believe you have this perfect little marriage to the perfect woman and that you're gonnna have the perfect little family one day. I suggest you start treating me like a woman and not a babymaking machine if you ever want that to happen."
"Not here Jordan."
"Why not here? Because it would ruin everything your family thinks about you. Good. Maybe they need to know that you're normal."
"I'm not and you know that."
"Kevin Scott Richardson you are the most self centered egotistical man I've ever met and why I married you I'll never know."
He didn't respond to her answer and she shot up again."What?"
He looked down toward little Billy who had accidentally stumbled on their shouting match. She looked herself to see the frightened child standing there not sure whether to move or wait until they were done.
"Hey little guy! What's going on?"Kevin said kneeling down onto the floor.
"You and Ante Jordan was yellin at each other and I was scared,"he said; his lower lip quivering.
Jordan's heart was sinking at those words. They were really fighting over something so petty and in the process forgot about who or what it could affect on this of all days. Jordan kneeled down after she hung her coat on the rack."Come here."
He looked at Kevin and Kevin nodded to go ahead.
He stepped toward Jordan and she took his tiny little hands and looked into his frightened eyes."Uncle Kevin and I were just having a disagreement. Grown ups do that sometimes."
"Mommy and Daddy don't eber yell like that,"he came back.
"But they do talk loud every once in awhile don't they?"
"Well...yes."
"Uncle Kevin and I just got a little louder than we usually do. I don't want to hurt him. I love your Uncle Kevin. You know that?"
"I love him too Ante Jordan. Can I go play with Cindy now?"
"Sure thing kiddo,"she pecked him on the cheek and then looked at Kevin when she stood.
"Did you mean that?"
"Mean what?"
"What you said to Billy."
She took his hand."I love you. You know I don't ever want to hurt you. I just want to let all this go and let us be the way we used to be before we were trying to start a family. We can still start one. Let's just not make it the focus of our lives."
"I love you so Jordan. Don't ever leave me."
"What brought that on?"
"My mom's got some silly notion that Brian's got his eye on you. I told her she was crazy."
"You told your Mom she was crazy?"
"Not directly but yeah. Jordan?" he said noticing her sudden distance.
"I'm sorry."
"Anyway, it is just a silly notion right?"
"Right,"she agreed.