- Text Size +
Sighing heavily, Brian leaned back in the easy chair and closed his eyes. Any moment, she would be there and he didn't know what he was going to say to her. It seemed so long ago since he had seen her. Could he change her mind? It had been such a simple misunderstanding that was blown to proportions he hadn't fathomed. After being together for so long, Brian had a hard time imagining life without seeing the simplest yet most beautiful things about her. The way her nose crinkled when she laughed. How even water seemed to burn whenever she tried to surprise him with dinner and the profanity that would slip from her velvet lips always made him chuckle. Her long dark locks shined in even the dimmest light. Deep blue eyes that sparkled like a rare gem whenever she looked at him. Even the time she crashed his truck into the garage door when he tried to teach her to shift. Her face was beet red and tears of embarassment fell down her cheeks. All he could do was take her into his arms and kiss those tears away. Besides, a love like they had was irreplaceable. The truck wasn't.

The crunch of gravel broke into Brian's thoughts and he lurched from the chair. Half-stumbling to keep his balance, he peeked through the blinds and saw her own truck drive slowly down the driveway. Normally she would be speeding down towards the house, her radio blasting music from pop to country to classical. The only sound came from the engine as she parked in front of the garage and climbed out of the car. He felt his breath catch just watching the beauty shine from the inside out. How did it come to this? He pulled away from the window and listened for her footsteps. Soon she would be walking into the house like nothing had happened. The chime of the doorbell made him jump in surprise. She never rang the doorbell.

"Brian?"

"C-Come in," Brian stammered. The door open and she cautiously stepped inside, closing the door behind her.

"Hi."

"Hi..."

"How are you?"

"Fine. You?"

"Oh, I'm doing well, thank you."

"That's great to hear," Brian forced what he hoped was a normal smile and to his relief, it was because she smiled back.

"I just have to grab a couple more things and then I'll be out of your hair for good."

"Abbs, it doesn't have to be this way--"

"Yes, Brian, it does."

"It just happened. How can we throw away what we had because of that?"

"It happened for a reason. Obviously fate has other plans for us... I don't want us to be in a relationship and begin to regret it," Abby turned away, biting on her full bottom lip. It had once been adorable to Brian, but now it just sealed the deal. "It's not like I want it to be this way."

"Then stay with me!"

"I can't! God, as much as I might want to, I can't. It isn't fair to either of us."

"I don't give a shit if it's fair or not. All I know is that I don't want you to leave. You mean the world to me."

"I know. It doesn't make sense to you right now, but it will," Abby took his hands into hers, their eyes locked. "Soon you'll move on and we'll be happy again."

"Happy? I'm not happy if you're not here."

"You will be. You just need to give yourself time."

"Abbs, please. I love you."

"I love you, too. I always will," Brian leaned forward and brushed his lips against hers as he closed his eyes. He could remember the first time she ever said 'I love you' and how bright her eyes seemed to be. The depth she had spoken with showed Brian that it was something she had never felt before. It was the same for him. At that moment he was sure they would be together until their time was up. It seemed like their time was up, but far sooner than Brian had ever imagined. He expected it to happen when they were both ready to leave the world and spend eternity in paradise. Here comes goodbye... He thought as tears spilled down his cheeks. He released her hands and brought her into his warm embrace, not wanting to let go. "Brian... please. Let me go."

"I don't know if I can."

"You must," Abby pressed her forehead against his. "You will. There is someone out there for you, and she will be the one you're meant to marry, have kids and grow old with."

"...I always imagined seeing you walk down the aisle with your father to marry me," Brian confessed.

"I did, too, at one point."

"Abbs..."

"Let's not make this any harder," Abby pulled away and walked towards their bedroom. Well, now it was Brian's bedroom. He stood there, almost glued to the spot as he listened to her rustling through the drawers and closet. A bag filled with items and soon she was walking back out with what she had come for.

"Did it really have to come to this?"

"Yes, it did. I never meant to hurt you... please know that."

"Shouldn't I be the one saying that?"

"I think in our case, we both need to say it."

"Abbs, I really am sorry. I screwed up something great."

"You didn't screw anything up. It all happens for a reason," Abby replied, setting down the bag as her eyes shined much too bright. He could see that she was doing whatever she could to stop the tears from falling. This time she was the one to hold him close and he immediately placed his head on her chest. The soft pulse of her heart slightly soothed the ache in his own. More tears fell from his azure eyes, and he knew they were the first of many. Especially those lonely nights he would wake up and not find her nestled against his side.

"Why did it have to change? I keep wishing that it hadn't."

"I have, too. But there's nothing we can do. What happened, happened."

"Abby, please... stay."

"Brian, no."

"Please."

"No," Abby cupped his cheeks and kissed him deeply. He knew it was the last time he would ever feel her soft lips against his. Too soon, she pulled away from him and picked up her bag. "Goodbye, Brian. I love you."

"Please."

"Take care of yourself," was the last thing she said before walking out the front door and towards her car. Soon the gravel crunched once more under the wheels of her car and the emptiness filled Brian's heart. He was alone. Dusk had come and darkness was settling into the house. It seemed like the tears would never stop as he fell to his knees.

"Goodbye, Abbs... I love you."


Here comes me wishing things had never changed
And she was right in here in my arms tonight
But here comes...
goodbye
Chapter End Notes:
Song credit of Here Comes Goodbye by Rascal Flatts.