- Text Size +


"Jamie, just sit down for a minute. Nick, give her your copy. I need you to read over this with me, Heads."


Jamie sat down on the end of sofa as Nick handed her his envelope. Reaching for the envelope she sipped her drink and then choked loudly. She scowled at Nick with an evil look on her face as Taylor struggled not to laugh at Nick and his what-did-I-do-now expression.


"What?" asked Nick, confused. "You said strong." Taylor shook her head.


"Guys, why don't you leave us alone for a bit," Taylor suggested to a very relieved Kevin and Nick. "Go get us some dinner or something, okay?"


"Yeah, sure," Kevin said as he pulled Nick up off the couch with him. "What are you guys in the mood for?"


Taylor perked up, "I could really go for some Sushi!"


Jamie gave Taylor a disgusted look and said, "Mexican."


The guys looked at each other and at the same time said, "We'll get both," as they headed out the door.


Jamie waited until she heard the car doors slam and looked over at Taylor. "This could really hurt their case, couldn't it?" she asked with a small voice.


"It's really not that bad Jamie. I know that you are worried about this whole thing and I'm not going to lie and say it is open and shut, but you can't go flying off like that. The guys need to feel confident about this."


Jamie sighed heavily, tentatively sipping on her drink again. "Taylor, I don't know what I would do if Kevin went to prison. I can't even begin to imagine. . ."


Taylor broke in, "Hey, don't think about that right now. We're gonna do everything we can to make sure that doesn't happen, okay?" Taylor went to sit on the couch with Jamie placing an arm over her shoulder and hugging her. "But you have to calm down too."


Jamie sighed again, "This case is bringing out some demons for all of us isn't it, Tails."


"That it is, my friend, that it is."


The two women continued talking and reading through the restraining order to try get the details of what happened. Unfortunately for the guys, in a case like this, it didn't take much for Molly to convince the judge to issue a restraining order. There weren't many specifics in the order, just a statement alleging that the guys had gone to Molly's house and that she was now 'fearful of her safety and well-being.'


"Oh great," said Jamie sarcastically. "That’s all it takes these days, apparently. Scared, pissed off? Get a restraining order, they’re giving them out like Halloween candy."


Taylor understood Jamie exactly, "I know, I know. When I was a prosecutor, I never used to think about that, I just knew I could get one. Now, though. . ."


"Now though, the shoe is on the other foot."


"Yeah, and boy does it suck."


"You can say that again."


"Boy, does it suck." Jamie narrowed her eyes and pushed up the left side of her mouth, but Taylor was grinning, and Jamie couldn't do anything in response but laugh. Their laughter turned uncontrollable, and Jamie and Taylor both laughed until they cried.


"Feel better?" asked Taylor, wiping tears from her eyes with the backs of her hands.


"No, not really, but thanks."


"No problem. Try to take it easy on them will you?"


"I can't promise you that, but I'll try," said Jamie. Taylor nodded, and they went back to work.


The guys came back about an hour later with loads of food. After Taylor informed them it was safe, they all sprawled out in the living room and ate in relative silence. Finally everyone leaned back with a very content look on their face. Although Jamie was much calmer now, there was still a bit of tension in the room.


Kevin spoke softly, "Jamie, honey, I am really sorry."


"Please don't apologize right now, Kevin, I don't really want to hear it." Jamie closed her eyes and leaned back. "I just don't understand why you did it."


"Can I at least try to explain?" He looked over at Jamie who opened her eyes and sighed again without saying a word. "It makes no sense to me, to us," Kevin said looking over at Nick, "that we have no clue who this girl is and she can say and do all of these things to us and about us. She has control over our future and we can't do anything about it. It's the epitome of frustration."


Everyone was looking at Kevin now and even Jamie had a bit of understanding in her eyes.


"I guess I just wanted to talk to her and maybe get a glimpse, just a hint of why she was doing this. I swear I was just trying to understand why this is happening. I have no idea what I really expected to happen, or even what I wanted to hear from her."


Taylor spoke up, "Okay, Kevin, we can understand that. But did you really think talking to her would accomplish anything?"


"I don't know. I realize it wasn't the brightest idea I've ever had but I can't help feeling like this is all just a bad dream and that maybe if we talked to her we'd wake up."


Jamie just sat there staring off into space, lost in her thoughts, as Taylor kept talking. "Well, aside from the fact that the judge probably thinks you're a dumbass, I doubt it will really hurt the trial much. But don't think it they won’t try to bring it up, because they will."


"We're really sorry, honest," Nick said quietly.


"Yeah, I know. Just tell us exactly what happened, maybe we can find something worthwhile in this mess."


Nick started, "Well, Kevin said that he wanted to talk to her and eventually I agreed. I feel the same way he does, like this whole thing is outta control, it makes no sense. So we looked in your files and he found some paper with Molly's address on it. We drove out there last night."


Kevin picked up the story, "We knocked on the door and some girl answered, I don't think she recognized us at first because when we asked for Molly, she didn't really freak out or anything. She invited us into the living room and I guess she went to get her.


"Then this girl, it had to be Molly, comes into the living room and when she saw us she just freaked out. She had this deer-caught-in-a-headlight look at first, but then she started yelling and screaming at us to get out and leave her alone.


"I guess her friend or roommate or whatever finally realized who we were because she came out and started screaming right along with Molly. We just turned around and left. She didn't even give us a chance to explain anything."


Jamie finally broke in, "Do you blame her? What did you think her reaction was going to be, 'Yeah sure guys, come on in, can I get you a soda or something?' She is accusing you guys of raping her, and crazy or not, she has something against you guys."


Kevin raised his voice a little, "But it makes no sense."


"You keep saying that, Kevin. 'It makes no sense.'" Jamie was getting more agitated by the second. "No, it doesn't make any sense, none whatsoever, but the reality is that you guys are on trial for whatever she says you did, guilty or not, and going to see her isn't going to change that. Nothing can change that." Jamie got up with tears in her eyes and ran toward the stairs. "No one can change anything right now."


Kevin looked over at Taylor who signaled for him to let her go. "She’ll be fine Kevin, she just needs some time. It's not just the restraining order, it's this whole mess, she taking it pretty hard."


"I know and it's all my fault," said Kevin.


"No, it's not your fault Kevin, don't blame yourself." Taylor sighed and leaned back against the couch contemplating whether to try and explain a little about Jamie to the guys.


"I know you guys have been together for about a year, but, no offense to you Kevin, I doubt that you know Jamie as well as I do, and I can understand her mood swings a little better."


Kevin put a hand on his neck nervously and continued to listen to Taylor.


"Jamie has had a good life. Good parents, good family, good education, very secure and very stable. But with all of that stability comes some rose colored glasses."


Nick gave Taylor a slight look of confusion.


"Let's just say that Jamie hasn't had a lot of things go terribly wrong in her life. But on the other hand, she has never really had the chance to experience things like some people, emotionally speaking I guess. Your relationship scares her to death, Kevin."


He looked at her, surprised by that statement.


"She is experiencing feelings and emotions that she didn't know existed before you and she isn't quite sure about them yet. I mean, she is sure about her feelings for you, she just doesn't quite understand how to control them. She feels like her karmic credit card is maxed out, like her luck is going to run out and she'll lose you. That's what scares her the most."


"She's not going to lose me Taylor, she knows that."


"No she doesn't, Kevin," insisted Taylor. "That's a pitfall of being a lawyer, you realize that all of the confidence and smoke blowing and schmoozing doesn't guarantee squat inside the courtroom. She and I have learned that lesson all too well over the years. The truth can mean very little sometimes. That's what she knows."


Nick looked down at his hands as he spoke, "So what you’re saying is. . ."


"What I'm saying is that there are no guarantees. We are going to do our best and pray that it's enough. No promises though."


Kevin stood up, "I'm going to go try to talk to her."


Nick and Taylor just nodded as Kevin walked out of the room. They sat there silently for a while, then Nick spoke hesitantly.


"Taylor, there is one thing about going to see Molly though."


"What is that?"


"I kind of recognized her." Taylor looked up at Nick, surprised. "I mean, I still don't really remember much about her from the promotional thing, but she just seemed really familiar to me. Like I know I have seen her before."


"But you can't remember where you've seen her before?"


"No I can't." Nick's voice softened. "I didn't even tell Kevin this because I'm not sure if it's just my imagination or what, but damn I know I've seen her before, more than once."


"That's good Nick, really it is," Taylor leaned over and patted his hand. "Maybe some good will come out of your little stunt." They both giggled a little.


Taylor stood up stretching, "Tell you what, tomorrow morning we'll talk to Kevin and Jamie about this. Maybe we can get a private investigator to dig up something on Molly. You never know what she may be hiding beneath that 'stalkee/psycho' exterior of hers."


"Psycho is right." Nick stood up next to her. "Damn, she yelled louder than Jamie. I didn't think that was possible."


"Wow," was all Taylor managed to say as the two walked toward the stairs.