- Text Size +


The four of them went out for a late lunch and the tension amongst them was obvious. Nick was thankful that Taylor had not revealed his recollection of Molly to either Kevin or Jamie; he didn't want Kevin to know he remembered anything. Nick wanted to get away and he sensed that Jamie and Kevin needed some time alone as well. At his suggestion, Nick and Taylor were going to drive to Tampa and spend the night at his house, leaving Jamie and Kevin to try and sort things out.





The quiet hum of the engine was the only sound that could be heard inside Nick's car. Taylor tried to stretch a little, feeling the tension in the air as much as her neck.


"What are you thinking about?" Taylor softly asked Nick.


"More things than I really want to right now. . ." he said. "I just don't understand why this crap is happening."


"We're going to do everything we can, trust me Nick," Taylor said, trying to console him.


"I know, I know, but it just seems like nothing is going right." He began to talk more to himself than to Taylor, "The new album isn’t getting finished, our management is freaked out, Jamie and Kevin. . . I don't even know where to begin there, and then there's everything else. I just don't feel like I have anything that is grounding me right now, you know what I mean?"


"Yeah, I know, I've been feeling like that lately myself. Like you just have no control over anything, no comfort zone." With a nod of agreement from Nick, she continued, "My work used to keep me in control, but even that doesn't seem like enough these days. I guess there are some things that just aren’t working in my life."


"Like things with Mike?" he asked softly.


"Yes, like things with Mike."


"So what is the story with that," Nick questioned. "You really didn't tell me much the other night. All I know is that you don't seem happy with him."


"I don't think I want to talk about this," she snapped back at him.


"Oh, sorry, didn't mean to step on any emotional toes, Miss I-Have-Everything-Under-Control," he replied, not even trying to hide the sarcasm.


Taylor got angry, "You don't know anything about it, Nick, and you have no right to. . ."


"No right to what? To maybe give a damn, to listen? To try to make conversation? What? Getting arrested took away all my rights? Well excuse me, nobody bothered to tell me that."


When he finished, there was silence again. Nick did not understand where her anger came from. This woman confused him a lot. She was so strong and intelligent, and yet there was something that was controlling her on the inside. It was almost as if she were afraid to let go of the part that was hurting because it was giving her strength.


"Damnit, women suck sometimes, I just don't get it," he thought to himself. "She is my attorney, that's all, her personal issues are her problem, not mine. Remember that, Carter, you’re in enough trouble as it is."


As Nick's car pulled slowly up the drive, Taylor caught herself staring wide eyed at the most beautiful little house. It was a small two story colonial with beautiful white columns and a porch on the second floor that went all the way around the house. There were no neighbors really, just the little house sitting back away from the street with the beach for a backyard.


"Here's the key, go on in, I'll get your stuff," Nick said, handing her the key ring and popping the trunk to get the bags.


Taylor didn't argue, she took the keys and walked slowly towards the door. She turned the key and walked into the foyer. She giggled to herself this time, not so much in awe of the house, just surprised that it was a beautiful as it was. "He is only nineteen or whatever, and he already has money and taste," she laughed softly to herself. "How did that happen?"


She was still standing there when he got to the door with an overnight bag in each hand.


"You can go on into the living room, just to your right." He motioned toward the room, as much as he could with the bags. "I'll put these upstairs and be right back."


Taylor leaned into the room and started to look for a light switch. All she saw however was the moon glow casting shadows and silhouettes around the room. Two large bay windows faced the beach and the moon was shining brightly through very sheer drapes. She walked over to the windows and just stood there.


"What is wrong with me?" She thought to herself. "Why can't I just let go, why can't I just. . ."


"I love this room at night," Nick said softly as he walked up behind her. "The moon, the beach, what more could you ask for?"


She turned towards the sofa, quietly replying, "Yeah, I guess so."


"Can I get you anything? Soda, water, tequila shots?" Nick giggled, trying to break the tension any way he could.


"The last one doesn't sound half bad," she said with a not so joking tone, then cracking a small smile.


Nick held his hand out to her, "Come on, I'll show you around so you can make yourself at home a little more."


She took his hand and let him guide her on a quick tour of the house. It was nice and comfortable, more laid back than Kevin's house. When they got back to the living room, Nick motioned for Taylor to sit back on the couch.


"Still want that drink?"


"Actually, maybe just some wine or something?" she sighed as she said it, knowing that while it wasn't such a good idea, it wasn't such a bad one either.


Nick brought back two glasses and a bottle of white wine. They just sat there for a while, both staring out the window, sipping their wine, lost in their own thoughts.


"I'm uh. . . I'm sorry if I crossed some sort of line back there in the car. I really didn't mean to," Nick said finally. "Guess I was just trying to get my mind off some things."


"That's okay, I can be, um. . . shall we say, a little testy at times?" Taylor said with a small laugh.


"You? No, really? I never would have guessed," he laughed back.


With that they started over. Again. A new conversation, a new light heartedness between them. They finished the bottle of wine and sprawled out on the sofa facing each other. They lay there quietly for a while before Nick again broke the silence.


"You deserve better, you know that, don't you?"


"What?"


"I don't know the whole story and I don't need to know it," he sighed. "But if you are half as amazing as I think you are, then I know that you deserve better than what you have right now."


Taylor didn't say anything, she just sat up and stared out the window. His words cut into her more than she wanted them to. Denial was a way out for her, it had always been her way out and she didn't know if she was up to changing that, at least not now.


She didn't really notice when Nick sat up and leaned over her, she only turned to look at him just as he brought his hand up to smooth her cheek. Taylor turned her eyes to look at Nick. His face was so sweet, so innocent, so unlike what she was accustomed to. His crystal blue eyes gazed at her sweetly, no malice, no lust, no pain, just caring. She felt his hand wipe away a tear from her cheek and she sniffled as she laid her head onto his chest.


"It's okay to cry Taylor, it's okay," he whispered softly into her hair. Nick held her close for a minute and then loosened up and leaned back to look at her.


She looked up at him with puffy eyes and once again he smoothed away a tear, then cupped her face in his hands.


He slowly leaned into her and brushed his lips on hers, and when she didn't fight it, he leaned in again. Softly his lips parted and he ran his tongue along the outline of her lips. She kissed his tongue lightly and parted her lips for him. His tongue grazed the inside of her lips and patiently waited for her tongue to meet his. She gave in to the sensation and met his tongue with hers, slowly moving around him and reaching for his lips.


Taylor felt lost. Her fear was gone, but panic set in about what was happening at that moment.


"Nick," she quickly pulled away. "This isn't right. I, uh, I. . . can't do this," she almost mumbled the last part as she got up from the sofa.


He looked at her sternly but she didn't have the strength to return the look.


"I think I need to go to sleep. I'm, uh, I’m just tired," she said sorrowfully, turning to leave the room.


Nick reached for her arm and wrapped his hand around it to keep her there. He spoke softly to her, pleadingly, "If there is one thing I have learned about life, it is that it doesn't give you anything worthwhile unless you fight for it."


She paused for a moment, hung her head down and walked out of the room and up the stairs to her bedroom. She changed into her pajamas and tried to sleep but tossing and turning was all she could manage. Taylor had heard his footsteps on the stairs a while back. She had heard them stop at her door, but then go on to the room next to hers. She heard his door close quietly, and she sighed.


Just what was she so afraid of? What was controlling her? Was this boy the cure for her problem or was he just a quick fix? Or worse yet, could he be just another problem? She tossed around some more, then sat on the edge of the bed with her head in her hands. "What is wrong with me?" she thought to herself. "Am I nuts or is everybody around me crazy?"


She walked to the door, quietly turned the knob and stepped out into the hall. She stared at his door for a minute and then knocked a little louder than she really wanted to.


"Come in. . ." she heard a sleepy voice say.


She opened the door and stared right at Nick, so angelic lying in his bed with pillows all around him. "I, um, I. . . I wanted to say I'm sorry."


"We seem to be doing a lot of that lately, don't we," he smiled a little as he said it. "Can't sleep either?"


"Not really," she managed to reply. "I also, um, wanted to say that you were right."


"About what?"


She walked over to the bed and leaned down to him, quickly taking his mouth to hers. He didn't pull away, he just reached up and took her face in his hands, kissing her more passionately. She pulled away briefly.


She whispered, "I deserve much better than what I have."


He looked up at her and ran his fingers across her lips. "And don't forget to fight for what you want, Taylor."


With that they reached in for another kiss as Nick lifted her up onto the bed. His hands ran along the lines of her neck and shoulders as their kiss deepened. She pushed him back a little and he pulled her on top of him. His hands gracefully ran along her chest and started to unbutton her pajama top. She stopped him, grabbing his hands forcefully and holding them to his sides. Leaning in close to his mouth she licked the edges of his lips and said, "No, not yet, this is for you."


Taylor slowly slid her body down Nick's chest, moving the blanket down with her. Her tongue traced a path down the middle of Nick's body slowly leaving wet kisses along the way. When she reached the top of his boxers, she stopped and looked up at him. He had a sly smile on his lips but the child like innocence was still in his eyes. Slowly her tongue ran between Nick’s boxers and his skin, teasing him by not moving lower. Her hands massaged his thighs and grazed a little higher into his boxers. She could see the excitement growing and obligingly lowered his shorts with her teeth and her fingers.


Nick slid out of his boxers and settled back down onto the pillows, then he reached for one of Taylor's hands. He brought her hand to his lips and softly kissed each finger. Taylor let Nick keep kissing the fingers on her hand while her other hand lay gently on the soft skin just below his waist. Teasingly, her thumb slid down and grazed his shaft, scraping it lightly. Nick let out a soft moan and gently took Taylor's index finger in his mouth. Slowly he suckled her finger, running his tongue around and around.


Now it was Taylor's turn to moan a little, but she refocused and slowly leaned down, her tongue touching the tip and licking it softly. Nick let go of her hand and she brought it down with the other one laying both gently at the base of his shaft. Confidently she licked the head slowly, around and around, her hands gently massaging his hips and the tops of his thighs. Her tongue languished its way up and down the shaft, paying special attention to the soft skin on the inside just below the head. Nick's eyes were closed and he started to tense up, letting out a low growl. She held his hips tightly and took as much of him into her mouth as she could. She found a slow, strong pace and kept it while he carefully tried to move with her. His hands grabbed at the sheets as the tension built slowly but surely.


Sucking forcefully, she pulled her lips off of him and slid her hands so that her fingers were pressing on the soft skin just below the base of the shaft. She gently massaged the skin, then once again took him in her mouth. This was more than Nick could handle as his entire body tensed up and he let out something resembling a scream. Taylor was there and felt the warm syrup flow into her throat. She slowly slid her lips off of him and brushed the tops of his thighs with her hands.


When Nick opened his eyes, he had a beautiful grin on his lips. He reached down and tried to pull Taylor up to him. She resisted and got up off of the bed.


"What. . . what’s wrong?" he pleaded. "Taylor. . .?"


"Nick, I, um, I don't know," she stammered shamefully. "This was wrong. I don't know what I was thinking. I guess I just wanted to thank you." With that Taylor hurried out of the room, slamming the door behind her.


"Thank me? For what?" Nick didn't have a clue what Taylor was thinking and he felt very guilty for what just happened. "How can I keep doing this to her, she doesn't deserve this." He was very confused, his mind cluttered and distraught as he fell into a fitful sleep. He wasn't the only one who was confused though, as Taylor lay in the next room huddled under the covers, crying herself to sleep.