- Text Size +


Jamie was walking down the stairs the next morning when the doorbell rang. Opening the front door, she was relieved to see Taylor standing there.


"If you ever pull a stunt like that again, I swear Taylor. . ."


Taylor held up a hand to cut Jamie off. "Could you at least let me in before you tear into me? And point me in the direction of a coffeepot?"


Jamie chuckled slightly, moved to let Taylor walk into the house, and followed her into the living room. Taylor set down her bag and briefcase, then moved into the kitchen. Kevin was sitting at the table cradling a cup of coffee.


Taylor joined him at the table and Jamie handed her a cup of coffee. She offered to make breakfast, which Taylor and Kevin refused as they both laughed. Taylor looked over at Kevin and said, "I see she's subjected you to her cooking already." Kevin nodded with a grin. Jamie feigned anger, then smiled and sat down.


"You look a lot more relaxed this morning, Jaim. I take it that being alone was a good idea?" asked Taylor. Jamie smiled broadly, and Taylor could see that Jamie was more like she had been when Taylor first came to Florida. "Well, at least one of us has things worked out," she thought to herself.


"Yeah, it was. Very good, and I think we've worked things out." Jamie looked over at Kevin, "No more outbursts, no more tantrums," she grinned and said cheekily, "I promise to be a good girl from here on out." Kevin rolled his eyes.


"Good. But it's only going to get tougher from here on out you know. You sure you're okay?"


"Yeah. I'm fine, Tayl. Don't worry about me," Jamie paused to sip her coffee. "You on the other hand. . ."


"Oh, don't worry about me. You know how I get."


"Yes I do, " said Jamie dryly. "And that's exactly the reason I'm worried about you. Why did you run off like that without telling anyone?"


"Didn't you get my message? I told you that I was going," she tried defending herself.


"Taylor, you know damn well that a voice mail message that says 'I'm leaving here, don't worry about me, I'll see you tomorrow' doesn't cut it. Did you think that would really let us know what was going on?"


"I left Nick a note, he knew I was coming back to Orlando. I figured he'd tell you," she shrugged.


"Only he was out on his boat all day, and it was three hours before we got a hold of him. I was worried sick."


Taylor sighed, "I'm sorry, Heads. I wasn't thinking clearly. I just knew I had to leave, so I did."


"Why? What did you argue about that made you leave?"


"I don't want. . ."


"Wait let me guess, you don't want to talk about it," said Jamie with a slightly sarcastic tone of voice.


"No," Taylor reacted angrily. "If you had let me finish my sentence Jamie, you would have heard me say that I don't want to go into too many details right now, but that I just couldn't stay at Nick's. Besides, there was too much work to be done, and time was wasting." Taylor stood up, and stalked out of the kitchen.


Jamie was silent for while, then said to Kevin, "Did I miss something?"


"I don't think so. If you did, we all missed it too. What ticked her off?"


"I have no idea, but I think she and I need to talk alone. Something else is bothering her, and I don't think she wants to say what it is."


"You mean, she doesn't want me to know. That's fine, Jaim. Go talk to her, I'll stay in here near the coffeepot." Jamie chuckled and leaned down to kiss Kevin. She teasingly moved his coffee cup away from him, and danced out of the way as he growled and tried to swing at her. Jamie stuck her tongue out and turned to walk into the living room. Kevin laughed, retrieved his coffee and sighed in contentment as he drank.


Jamie sat down next to Taylor, who was curled in a ball on the couch and said, "Okay, Brett, what happened yesterday?"


"Nothing."


"You really don't expect me to believe that do you?"


"No, but a girl can hope." Jamie chuckled at that, which brought a slight smile to Taylor's face in response.


"Look, I did something stupid two nights ago. Nick reacted in a way I didn't expect, and I didn't know how to handle that. I didn't know how to react either, so we got into it. He stormed off to spend the day out on the water, I worked on some ideas for the trial, and when I was done, I decided to come back to Orlando. Nick was still out, so I called a rental company, got a car, and came back. End of story."


"Where did you go though?"


"I stayed at a hotel. I figured you and Kevin still were working things out, you didn't need my problems too."


"That's not the point."


"Yes, it is. You're under a lot of stress because of Kevin and Nick, and you don't need to be my caretaker either." She paused, "You've done that enough over the years, I thought I'd give you a break. So for right now, just accept what I've told you, let's work on getting through the trial, then we both can have our nervous breakdowns, okay?"


Jamie saw that Taylor wasn't going to be budged. "Fine," she agreed, but Jamie decided she was going to get the entire story out of her, one way or another.





Nick arrived at Kevin's house around 9:00. Kevin answered the door, and let Nick inside.


"You want some coffee, Kaos?"


"Yeah, that sounds great," Nick replied, following Kevin into the kitchen. Kevin picked up his own coffee while Nick hunted around in a cupboard for another mug and poured some coffee for himself. He had just raised it to his mouth and began to drink when Jamie walked into the kitchen.


"Hey little brother," Jamie greeted him. Nick lowered the mug, looked over at Kevin who just smiled at him, and then looked back at Jamie.


"Uh, hey Jaim," he said casually, although he was waiting for the attack he expected from her. "What's up?"


"Just waiting for you to get here and Tom to call," she said, walking over to the coffeepot and refilling the two mugs she had in her hands.


Nick noticed, and asked softly, "Is Taylor here?"


She nodded, "Yup, in the living room." Nick squared his shoulders, "Is she okay?"


Jamie looked him directly in the eyes and said, "Yes, she is now." Nick's face showed his relief, and Jamie softened her gaze.


"Don't worry, Nicky. I don't think she's mad at you anymore, at least not much. But she's still hurt over whatever you argued about, so please don't bring it up now. This is not the right time for it. The trial is a week away, and we really need to focus on it now, not on anything else."


Nick looked down at her, realizing that she looked and sounded more like the bossy controlling Jamie he knew and adored. "I see that yesterday was good for at least some of us," he smirked. "You're back to normal."


Jamie colored a little but gave him a half smile and replied, "Oh yes, Nicky, it was very good. But you're too young to get any details, and I'm not corrupting you anymore than Kevin and the others already have. Don't even ask me about it."


Nick looked amusedly over at Kevin, who had a relaxed smile on his face. "Since I appear to be responsible for your 'corruption,' I'll tell you later, Blondie. What's a little more between friends?" Jamie shook her head, kissed Kevin, then walked out of the kitchen back into the living room.


Setting the mug down next to Taylor, Jamie said softly, "Nicky's here."


"I kinda figured that when the doorbell rang," said Taylor without looking up from her legal pad. Jamie gave her a light smack on the back of her head.


"Smart ass. I just thought you might be interested, since you've been very interested in him."


Taylor's head came up with that comment. "I am not. Not like you think. He's a client and nothing more." She picked up the cup, inhaled the fresh aroma deeply, then drank. Jamie wasn't buying it though.


"Whatever you say, Tails." Taylor scowled at her, then swallowed the retort she was about to fire at Jamie when the phone rang.


Jamie picked up the phone, "Hello?. . .Hey, Tom. . .yeah, everyone's here, let me get them in here and on the speakerphone." She handed the phone over to Taylor, who greeted Tom while Jamie went back into the kitchen. The three of them came into the room, and Taylor switched the connection over.


"Morning, everyone. Can you all hear me okay?" When all four said yes, Tom continued. "Well, I'm not sure if any of this will help but here's what I got so far. It seems that Miss Coughlin is an aspiring model/actress type whose career hasn't exactly taken off. At one time she had a contract with Trans Continental Media but things weren't exactly working out. Her contract with them ended about six months ago."


Jamie looked over at Taylor with a curious expression and then spoke up, "Tom, it's Jamie, do you have any details of the contract? Or her relationship with Trans Con?"


"Well," Tom started, "not really. I guess Pearlman was trying to expand or something and signed a few models, actors and actresses. It was a short contract, about a year. The split wasn't ugly or anything but I guess the situation wasn't very lucrative for either one of them."


"Anything else?" Taylor spoke up.


"Not really, I couldn't find much after her split with Trans Con. I guess she hasn't done much career wise since then."


"Think you could nose around some more and find out what she has been doing lately?" Taylor asked.


"Sure Taylor." Tom replied, "I'll give you guys a call as soon I get anything, okay?"


"Great Tom," replied Jamie. "Thanks for your help, we really appreciate it." Everyone said their goodbyes and Jamie switched off the speaker phone.


Jamie and Taylor were making a few notes when Kevin finally spoke up. "You know, now that I think about it, that is why she looked a little familiar when Nick and I went over to her house." He paused with a pensive look on his face. "I'm pretty sure I used to see her around the Trans Con offices once in a while."


Taylor looked up very interested, "Do you remember anything strange or out of the ordinary about her? Or any run ins you may have had with her?"


"No, nothing really sticks out in my mind." Kevin stopped for second. "I just vaguely remember seeing her in the office, that's it."


Jamie looked over Kevin questioningly. "Why didn't you remember this before?"


"Jamie," he looked at her frustrated, "don't freak out, I just never paid any attention to her. I guess Tom pointing out that she worked for Trans Con jogged my memory."


"I'm sorry, it's just surprising that she worked with Lou and all," Jamie offered as she sighed.


Taylor frowned at Nick but calmly asked, "So Nick, do you ever remember seeing Molly at Trans Con?"


"I guess I have seen her around, I don't know, its been a long time." Nick spoke with his head down, not looking anyone in the eyes. "I guess I remember seeing her there sometimes. Just never put two and two together."


"Gee, that's a shock," Jamie said, trying to lighten the mood. Nick pursed his lips and looked at her, and she just grinned. "Don't worry about it guys, this isn't bad, it's just a little surprising."


"Yeah, it's okay," Taylor started, "we'll just see if Tom digs up anything else. And Jamie, maybe we can find anymore details of her contract with Trans Con."


"Kevin, do you have any contracts left over there?" Jamie asked, looking up at Kevin.


"Not really, but let me see what I can do." He smiled at Jamie.


"Personally, I want to know what little Miss Molly has been up to for the last six months," Taylor said caustically.


"Me too," Jamie added. "Just out of curiosity guys, does she live in a nice place, nice area, whatever?"


Nick was the first to speak up. "Yeah, she has a really nice place. . ." he stopped himself for a second, "from what I remember."


Taylor looked over at him, searching his eyes for something. "Interesting," was all she could manage. "Jamie why don't you and I get some work done, talk about the notes I worked on yesterday."


"Okay, Kev, do you mind if we use your office?" Jamie asked.


"Nope, not at all. Maybe Nick and I can do something this afternoon while y'all work. Then maybe we can all get together for dinner?" Kevin looked at Jamie with those green eyes she couldn't resist.


"That sounds great. Taylor?"


Taylor was busy writing notes again as she responded, "Oh, what? Oh, yeah, fine, whatever."


Kevin rolled his eyes as he and Nick left the girls so they could get some work finished.