- Text Size +


Although the courtroom resembled a circus, the mood was solemn among their group as everyone entered the courtroom the next morning. The other guys as well as Denise and a few members of management were there to support Kevin and Nick. Jamie and Taylor got organized at the defense table and then went to join the others huddled in the back of the courtroom.


AJ looked nervously at Jamie and Taylor who both seemed very calm. "How come you guys are so calm? You're scaring me."


Taylor chuckled a little bit, "AJ, you forget that we do this for a living. It's not that we aren't nervous, we're just used to it I suppose."


"So how long do you think this is going to take?" Brian asked.


Jamie put her hand on his shoulder and tried to calm him, "It won't take too long Rok, probably a couple of days, three tops."


"And the jury has already been picked, so all that's left is the actual trial," Taylor said.


Jamie looked at her watch and noticed it was time to get seated up front. Kevin stood next to her staring off into space. She gently placed her hand over his and nudged him, "It's time darlin'. We need to go up front now."


Kevin didn't say a word, he simply turned to look at Jamie for a moment and then followed her toward the defense table.


Nick looked over at Taylor and she motioned for him to follow Jamie and Kevin. Nick reached out and tugged on Taylor's sleeve, stopping them in the aisle before they reached the table.


"What is it Nick?" Taylor questioned.


"Taylor, just tell me everything is going to work out? Please?"


She saw the childlike fear in his eyes and softened some before she responded. "We're going to do our best Nick, nothing else matters right now, okay? Everything will work out. . ."


"Promise?"


Taylor didn't answer him verbally, she took his hand in hers, squeezed it tightly and led him to the table to sit down. The four of them sat there quietly, each sorting through their own set of hopes and fears about what was to come.





The bailiff silenced the crowded courtroom as he spoke, "All rise." The judge entered the courtroom and took his seat at the bench. The bailiff continued, "This court is now in session, the Honorable Royce Bergen presiding."


The judge spoke sharply, "You may be seated. . . Bailiff would you call the case. . ."


"Case number 99-1003, State versus Kevin Scott Richardson and Nickolas Gene Carter."


Peering up from his file the judge looked at the attorneys. "Is the prosecution ready for trial?"


"Yes, your honor, we are," replied the Assistant District Attorney.


"Is defense counsel ready?"


Taylor and Jamie both stood as Taylor addressed the judge, "Yes, your honor."


"Any pending pretrial motions before we begin?"


Jamie replied, "Yes, your honor. . .may I approach the bench?"


"Yes, you may."


The prosecutor followed Jamie up to the bench as Jamie began speaking, "Your honor, the defense respectfully requests that all electronic media be removed from the courtroom at this time."


"For what reason counsel?"


"Due to the sensitive nature of both the defendants and the charges against them we feel that allowing immediate media access may compromise both the integrity of the trial and the reputations of the defendants."


The judge looked to the prosecutor for an objection, "We have no objection to defense motion your honor."


"Very well then, counsel may step back."


The judge spoke as Jamie and the prosecutor returned to their respective tables. "Ladies and Gentlemen, I have granted a defense motion to have all electronic media banned from the courtroom for the duration of this trial. Would the marshals please execute this order."


At the table from left to right were Taylor, Nick, Jamie and Kevin. Taylor leaned across Nick to speak to Jamie, "I'm a little surprised that the ADA didn't oppose the motion."


"I was too," replied Jamie, "but let's not question it now. I don't think he suspects anything."


Moments later the courtroom had thinned out to only a few print media, spectators and supporters. The marshals returned to their posts. The judge administered the oath to the jurors and then indicated that the prosecutor could proceed with opening statements.


Speaking with little emotion, the ADA briefly told the story to the jurors, the same story that Molly would most likely recount on the witness stand. To Kevin and Nick it seemed as though he was recounting a fictional tale but nothing he said surprised Jamie or Taylor.


When he finished, the judge indicated that defense counsel may proceed with their opening statements. Taylor glanced at Jamie with a confident look as Taylor stood to speak.


"Thank you your honor. Ladies and gentlemen, members of the jury, my name is Taylor Brett and I, along with my co-counsel Jamie Saxon, am here today to represent Kevin Richardson and Nickolas Carter. Please let me begin by thanking you for giving us your valuable time today and throughout this trial. You are all to be commended for helping us maintain the integrity of not only our judicial system but our society in general. Although the prosecution may not agree, I feel that everyone in this room today has the same purpose, and that purpose is to see that justice is done.


"Our part of that job is to present to you the defendants' side of the story and to see that the prosecution properly presents their side. Your part in all of this is perhaps a bit tougher. You will need to listen carefully to all of the evidence that we present to you and decide what the facts are. You need to decide the truth. I know that may sound like a difficult job but I'm certain that each and every one of you is up to the task. Once you decide exactly what the facts are, the judge will ask you to apply those facts to the law, the law that we as a society have decided to abide by. If under those facts, the law states that these two young men should go to jail, then so be it. However, please remember that what you decide to be true, you must believe to be true beyond a reasonable doubt.


"Now, I can't tell you what reasonable doubt is, the judge can't tell you and neither can the prosecution. You need to decide that for yourself. I can however tell you to follow your heart, your conscience and your common sense. Those will lead you to the truth and that is exactly what we want to determine here. We want to determine the truth," Taylor paused for effect.


"And the truth is that these upstanding young men did none of the things that Miss Coughlin claims. Yes, they met Miss Coughlin, once. Yes, they spoke with her briefly. But that is all. The evidence will show that they did not assault her, and they most certainly did not rape her.


"Mr. Richardson and Mr. Carter are celebrities, some of you may even be familiar with them. Being a celebrity is not always the easiest way of life. Someone is always demanding your time, your energy, your attention. Being in the limelight also makes you an easy target. You become a target for criticism and sometimes you even become a scapegoat for frustration. Perhaps that is why we are here today, who really knows," she shrugged.


"You do not have to decide exactly what unfortunate events led Miss Coughlin to this courtroom today, you need only to decide what role Mr. Richardson and Mr. Carter played in those events. And I am certain that once you've heard all of the evidence you will honestly believe that they played absolutely no part. And in turn, that they are innocent of the charges against them today. Thank you."


Turning to the judge Taylor spoke once more as she returned to her seat, "Nothing further your honor."


"The prosecution may call its first witness."


The ADA stood, "Thank you your honor, the state calls Detective Corin to the stand."


Detective Corin proceeded to take the stand and describe the events surrounding Molly's complaint and the process which led to Kevin and Nick's arrest.


On cross examination, Jamie got the detective to explain that this case was a little different from a normal assault complaint. He described how the investigation was altered considering the celebrity status of the defendants and that the arrest warrant was not issued initially due to a lack of concrete evidence.


Knowing his response would be a little ambiguous and shaky, Jamie asked the next question, "So exactly what prompted you to get the arrest warrant?"


The detective paused for a moment, "Well, Miss Coughlin got a bit hysterical when she found out we were considering not continuing with the charges."


"So, let me see if I understand you correctly. Although shaken by the alleged incident, she seemed relatively stable when she first filed the complaint, is that correct?"


"Yes, you could say that."


"But approximately a week later she became hysterical, when she realized you might not continue with the charges?"


"Objection your honor, calls for speculation by the witness. He can't possibly know exactly what prompted Miss Coughlin's tentative emotional state." The ADA rose to his feet.


"I'm merely trying to establish the time line through the investigation your honor."


"Overruled, but Ms. Saxon, please stick to eliciting the time line and refrain from discussing Ms. Coughlin's emotional state." The ADA sat back down, and Jamie turned back to the detective.


"Yes, your honor. So, Detective Corin, it was in fact over a week between the original complaint and the issuing of the arrest warrant, correct?"


"Yes, that is correct."


"And during that time, you did in fact consider not pressing charges against Mr. Richardson and Mr. Carter, correct?"


"Yes, that is also correct."


Jamie turned around to walk back towards the defense table, but stopped after a couple of steps. She turned around as if another thought had just occurred to her.


"Detective, I have just one more question. What were the results of the rape kit?"


Detective Corin nervously fingered his tie. "The rape kit," he repeated.


"Yes, sir. Isn't it standard procedure by your department that when someone files rape charges, they are examined by a doctor and a rape kit is taken?"


"Yes."


"Good. So Miss Coughlin was examined and a rape kit was taken?"


The answer came grudgingly, "Not exactly."


Jamie moved forward towards Detective Corin. "What do you mean, not exactly?"


"Well, the original complaint did not include rape."


"It didn't? When was the rape charge added?"


"Afterwards."


"I see. What exactly do you mean by afterwards, when was it added?"


Detective Corin had slowly turned red during this line of questioning, and now looked very uncomfortable. He said quietly, "The charge was added after her second meeting with myself and the DA."


"You mean after she found out charges weren't being filed as a result of your investigation?"


"Yes."


"After she became hysterical?"


"Objection, your honor, again calls for speculation about Miss Coughlin's emotional state."


"I withdraw the question," said Jamie.


"Detective, once she added rape to the charges, was a rape kit done then?"


"No."


"Well, why not, you did say it was standard procedure, correct?"


"It was too late to do one. Two weeks had already passed from the time of the incident. Any results from a rape kit at that time would have been inconclusive."


"So there is no actual forensic evidence concerning the alleged rape?"


"No."


"Thank you Detective." Detective Corin grimaced slightly. "The defense has nothing further for this witness your honor."


"Prosecution on redirect?" asked the judge. The ADA stood and replied, "Not at this time, your honor."


"The witness may be excused," said Judge Bergen. "Prosecution, you may call your next witness."


"Thank you, your honor. State calls Miss Molly Coughlin to the stand."