- Text Size +


The bailiff approached Molly as she stood on the witness stand. "Please raise your right hand." Molly did as requested as the bailiff continued. "Do you swear that the testimony you are about to give is the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth, so help you God?"


Molly hesitated only slightly, then said defensively, "I do."


The ADA approached the stand slowly as he spoke to Molly. "Miss Coughlin would you state your full name for the record please."


"Margaret Elizabeth Coughlin."


"Miss Coughlin, what happened to you approximately one month ago?"


"I was attacked and raped."


"Do you see the men who did this to you here in the courtroom today?"


A soft whisper, "Yes." The ADA asked, "Can you point them out please?"


With a shaky finger, Molly pointed at Kevin and Nick. "Let the record show she has identified the defendants, Kevin Richardson and Nickolas Carter."


"So noted," said the judge.


The ADA continued, "Now, could you tell us how you came to meet the defendants?"


"Well, ummmm. . ." Molly tensed up, then spoke hesitantly, as if she didn't want to admit anything. "I was. . .a fan of theirs. . .of their music. . . and so. . . I heard that they were going to be at a store signing autographs and stuff. . . and so I decided to go there and see if I could meet them."


"Can you tell us where this autograph signing took place?" asked the ADA.


"It was at a record store here in Orlando."


"Did you go to that record store on that day?"


"Yes, I did."


"Can you tell us what happened once you got to the record store?"


"Ummm, well. . ." Molly fidgeted with her hands as she tensed up. She appeared to be very uncomfortable in her chair.


"Miss Coughlin, I realize that this may be difficult for you at times, but please, we need you to describe exactly what happened that day."


"Okay. . . well. . ." And so the saga began. Molly proceeded to tell her version of what happened, stopping every once in a while to calm herself or wipe away tears. She described how she ended up in the back hallway, looking for the washroom. The meeting had been brief according to her. Nick and Kevin had come out into the hallway and stopped to talk to her. She was somewhat calm as she explained how surprised she was that they were back there and that she hoped to get an autograph from them. Her demeanor sank as she continued her tale with a description of the guys' not so subtle proposition. Finally, her expression was blank as she graphically, almost medically, told how they dragged her into a room off the hallway and began their sexual encounter.


It seemed like Molly spoke for hours. In actuality, it was a little over an hour.


The room was silent as she spoke, everyone seemingly under her spell. Jamie and Taylor took a few notes as they listened to Molly, glancing at each other during a few of the more gory parts. Kevin looked straight ahead as he listened to Molly's testimony. Disbelief washed over him that someone could lie so blatantly in a court of law. Several times he looked at Jamie, silently pleading with her to believe that none of what Molly said was true. Jamie, often just by reaching over and touching his hand with hers, did her best to reassure him that she knew the truth. And as for Jamie, it took every bit of willpower she had to sit calmly and listen to the testimony, to look for ways of discrediting Molly. It was hard, since what she really wanted to do was strangle Molly.


In contrast to Kevin, Nick just sat with his head down the entire time. His gaze never left the floor. His hands lay in his lap as he appeared pensive but surprisingly calm. As Molly's direct testimony concluded, Nick finally looked up. Taylor looked over at him and saw such sadness in his eyes. She considered consoling him but her clearer instincts took over and she instead glanced through her notes again preparing to cross-examine Molly.


As Molly finished teary eyed, the ADA quickly looked through his notes before addressing the judge. "Your honor, the prosecution has nothing further but if we may respectfully request a recess so that the witness may compose herself."


The judge looked at his watch before speaking. "Granted. This court will recess for lunch and reconvene in two hours." Everyone rose to their feet as the judge left the court room.


After organizing their notes, Jamie and Taylor joined Nick, Kevin and the others in the back of the courtroom.





Because of the media and crowd of fans outside the courtroom and the courthouse, it wasn't possible for them to leave the building to have lunch. Instead, they were led by officers into one of the witness conference rooms. Another officer was sent out to get them sandwiches and drinks.


Once the door closed behind them, Taylor and Jamie faced everyone. "Okay guys, now's the time and place to let it out," said Taylor. "I know you're dying to say something."


Howie was the only one who could speak, but everyone nodded as he expressed his outrage. "Why are you letting her go on and on about this when we all know it's a lie? Can't you object or something like they do on Law and Order?"


Taylor laughed. "I'm sorry, I'm not laughing at you, honestly. But that's not real, that's just a TV show. Real life doesn't work that way. I can't object to what she says, I can only object to the questions asked to her by the ADA. Besides, her going into such detail is benefiting us."


Kevin was incredulous, "You've got to be kidding, Taylor. How did that story benefit us?"


"She's gone into such detail she can't be evasive about them or change her story later. When I catch her in her lies, it will be very obvious to anyone in that courtroom, including the jury."


"You're assuming you can." Jamie smiled at AJ's innocent comment. Taylor merely looked at him with a raised eyebrow.


"Oh, trust me, I can and I will. She may claim to be an actress, but there is no way she is going to be able to act her way out of my cross. She will get caught up in her lies, and I will make sure she gets caught very nicely." She looked at AJ, "And this is not ego talking, you forget I've done this before. I've gotten professionals, I can get her."


Just then a knock came at the door. Jamie went over and opened the door for the guard who returned with their lunch. Thanking him, she started to close the door, when she found herself looking at the ADA. "Counsel, may I have a word with you?"


Taylor and Jamie excused themselves, then joined the ADA in the hallway. "What can we do for you?" asked Taylor.


"I'll get right to it. The assault charge stands, but instead of rape, I'll lower it to gross sexual misconduct if your boys plead guilty. I'll even agree to lighter jail time," said the ADA assuredly. Taylor and Jamie exchanged careful glances.


"And why would you be making this particular offer? Not feeling sure of a conviction anymore?" asked Taylor with a slight sarcastic tone. The ADA's smile grew. "Are you kidding me? After Miss Coughlin's testimony, I have them dead to rights. I'll be getting my conviction, but I figured I would make this easier for you. That way, you didn't have to come to me and beg for mercy. I'm feeling generous today, so I'll give it to you. Just say the word."


"In that case, I believe the word will be 'No.' There is no way you are sure of a conviction. You would never be coming to us with this offer, even if you are being 'generous.' Or is this just your way of assuring the DA's job in the next election, making it appear as if your office is being sympathetic to the plight of two of Orlando's biggest celebrities?" asked Taylor casually.


Ignoring Taylor's speculations he replied, "This offer is only going to last through lunch, ladies. Go back to your clients, I'm sure they'll jump at the chance to get off so easy."


Taylor tried hard not to laugh directly in the ADA's face, "Oh, I'll ask them because I have to, but I can guarantee they won't be saying yes."


"You have misplaced confidence in your clients and your abilities as an attorney, Miss Brett. I'll be in the courtroom when you are ready to accept my offer."


"No, counsel, I know exactly what my abilities are, and trust me you won't see me until court reconvenes. Smile as long as you can until then, because you won't be by the end of my cross." That was all the warning Taylor was willing to give him, and she turned on her heel and held the door for Jamie before entering the room herself and closing the door firmly behind her. The ADA stood stunned for a moment, before shaking his head then walking back to the courtroom.


"Of all the unmitigated gall, that arrogant son of. . ." Taylor trailed off as Nick looked at her curiously. "What was that about?" he asked hesitantly.


Jamie answered grimly, "The ADA wanted to cut a deal with lesser charges and lesser jail time if you pleaded guilty. And he called our abilities to lawyer into question."


"What? Like hell we will," said Kevin heatedly. "And there's nothing wrong with how you are handling this." Jamie crossed over and placed a hand on his shoulder. "Relax, darlin', we know. Taylor told the ADA no, but we do have to inform you of any offers."


"And we're saying no," Kevin looked over at Nick, who nodded in agreement.


"I didn't think you'd accept," said Taylor. "He may be acting cocky, but he's not positive he'll be getting his conviction, that's what the offer was for. Plus I think he wanted to feel us out, see how scared we were after Molly's little performance there. Everything hinges on her testimony, and he was trying to see if he could get our gameplan before we started cross. It's a tactic I've used before, but I knew who to use it on and when. I'm certainly not going to give anything away to him."


Taylor sat down in an empty chair and reached for a sandwich. "Well, I think we should let the ADA sweat this out. He expects to see us jump at the offer, and when we don't he's going to wonder what we have up our sleeve. I think I'm going to enjoy watching the smile leave his face." She smiled in satisfaction. "Can you pass me some potato chips please?"