- Text Size +


As she walked back to the defense table, Taylor looked over at the ADA who gave her an expectant look. She shook her head no, and he shrugged as if to say "Your loss." Once everyone had settled back into the courtroom, the bailiff called the court back into session. The judge indicated to the defense table that they may begin cross-examination.


Taylor stood slowly and greeted Molly. "Good afternoon Miss Coughlin." Molly nodded her acknowledgment toward Taylor.


"So, Miss Coughlin, you stated before that you were, at least at one time, a fan of the defendants, or more generally, the Backstreet Boys, is that correct?"


"I used to be, yes."


"So you enjoyed their music?"


"Yes."


"Do you or did you own any of their music CDs?"


"Yes, I have a couple of their CDs."


"About how long had you been a fan of the Backstreet Boys at the time of the signing?"


"I guess a year or so, maybe a little longer."


"And did you consider yourself a big fan of the group?"


"No, not really. I wasn't a rabid teeny bopper if that's what you're getting at."


Taylor almost giggled at her response but recovered to ask the next question. "So you considered yourself a fan but not a rabid fan as you put it?"


"Yes, that's correct."


"But you in fact planned an afternoon excursion in hopes of meeting the group, did you not?"


"Well, yeah, but . . ."


"You answered the question, thank you." Taylor paused for effect. "So Miss Coughlin, was that afternoon the first time that you had met or attempted to meet the defendants or any of the other Backstreet Boys?"


"Yes." Taylor smiled inwardly, knowing Molly had just committed her first error.


"May I ask your occupation?"


"I am trying to break into the entertainment industry," she replied smugly.


"Break in how?"


"I am an actress, and I've done some modeling."


"I see. And are you currently working in the entertainment industry as either an actress or a model?"


"Well, not really. I haven't worked in a while."


"So, you haven't worked in a while. Do you have a steady source of income?"


"Not really."


"How are you paying your living expenses?"


"I have some money saved, I'm using that," Molly shrugged. "And I have a roommate."


"Does this roommate pay any of your expenses?" asked Taylor.


"No, she doesn't."


"Oh, I see. All right, well let's get back to your career for now. You have in fact worked in the business before?"


"Yes, I have."


"Okay, I am slightly ignorant of the entertainment industry, so could you tell me how this works exactly. When you were working, were you under contract with someone? Or did you go from assignment to assignment?"


"Mostly freelance, wherever I could get work."


"Have you ever had an agent?"


"Yes, I used to be with a management agency."


"And which agency was that?" Taylor asked silkily.


Molly paused fitfully, "Trans Continental Media."


"Pardon me, did you say Trans Continental Media?"


Softly Molly replied, "Yes."


"Miss Coughlin, are you aware that the Backstreet Boys were at one time also under contract with Trans Continental Media?"


Molly's responses continued to be barely audible as her confidence shrank. "Yes, I know."


"Did you spend much time at the office while you were with Trans Con?"


"I was there sometimes."


"How often is sometimes'?"


"I don't know. . . maybe once a week."


"How long were you under contract with Trans Continental?"


"Less than a year."


"So you're saying that you were at Trans Con's offices, the very same office that managed the defendants' group, once a week for almost a year, and yet you never once saw the defendants or any other member of the Backstreet Boys there?"


"I might have seen them around the office."


"But you claim you never met them before the promotional event?"


"Well. . ."


"Miss Coughlin, you claimed that you were a fan of the defendants. You stated that you were managed by the same company and often visited the office where the defendants also spent a great deal of time and yet you still maintain that you had no prior contact with the them?"


"Objection your honor," the ADA stood, obviously flustered, "Counsel is badgering the witness."


Taylor feigned frustration although she was very happy with the way things were going. "Withdrawn your honor. Back to your relationship with Trans Con Miss Coughlin, was that contract very lucrative from your standpoint?"


"Lucrative?" asked Molly.


"Did you make enough money to satisfy you as a result of your contract with Trans Continental Media?" clarified Taylor.


"Oh, well, not exactly."


"Is that part of the reason that you left the agency?"


"Yes, it was."


"Why else?"


"My contract ended and it wasn't renewed."


"Your decision or Trans Continental's?"


"Well, mostly Trans Con, but I decided as well."


"All right then, so when did you leave Trans Con?" asked Taylor.


"I left about seven months ago."


"Did you enter into a contract with any other agency?"


"No, that's when I started my freelance work."


"Have you had many offers for freelance?"


"Not really."


"So Miss Coughlin, let me just clarify your testimony, for my own understanding. . . You are an aspiring actress, at least for the past seven months or so you have done mostly freelance work, and you ended your last contract at least partly because you were not making enough money. . . is that a fair assessment of what you have said so far?"


The ADA stood up slightly confused, "Objection your honor. Aside from the fact that counsel's questions are repetitive, I don't see the relevance in this line of testimony?"


"Your honor, if I may have some leeway here, I believe that the point will become clear soon enough," interjected Taylor.


"Very well counsel, but try to get there soon. Objection overruled." The ADA sat down, and Taylor turned back to Molly.


"Again, Miss Coughlin, is that a fair assessment?"


"I guess so."


"And money is a driving force behind your career choice, is it not?"


"It's part of it, yes," Molly said, becoming agitated by Taylor's insinuation. "Money usually is for most people." Taylor waved that comment aside.


"Let's just concentrate on you shall we? I'd like to get some details of your contract with Trans Con. How were you paid under that contract?"


"I'm not sure what you mean." Molly was now confused and very wary.


"Under the contract were you compensated by receiving a portion for each job, did you receive a salary, or were there residuals or royalties involved?"


"Oh. I was paid a percentage of the fee for each job I went on."


"Could you give me an example of this, perhaps a particular assignment and approximately how much you were compensated?"


"Well I remember a photo shoot that I did that lasted about three days. I think I made $500 for that shoot."


"And would you or Trans Con receive any additional payments such as residuals or royalties for this shoot once it was finished?"


"No. Most assignments were photo shoots or commercial shoots and whatever we did became the property of the person who contracted for the shoot."


"So you were paid one time for the actual work once the job was finished?"


"Yes."


Taylor walked back over to the defense table, and picked up a piece of paper as she looked at the judge. "Permission to approach the witness your honor?"


"Granted."


With her head down as if she were concentrating on the piece of paper, Taylor slowly and deliberately walked over to Molly. "Miss Coughlin, I ask that you look at this carefully. Do you recognize this?"


Molly's face went stark white as she looked at the first of what she knew to be two checks made out to her from Lou Pearlman and Trans Con. She responded a moment later, stuttering, "Uh, no. . ."


"You don't recognize this?"


Attempting to compose herself, Molly looked up at Taylor, "No. No, I don't."


"Okay, but regardless, would you be so kind as to describe this item for the jury."


"It. . . it's a check."


"Can you tell us the date on the check?"


"It was written about five weeks ago."


"And could you tell us the amount please?"


"Fifty thousand dollars."


"Can you tell us who issued the check?"


"Trans Continental Media."


"And finally, if you could Miss Coughlin, can you tell us who the check is made payable to?"


Molly stiffened as she tried to answer, "It. . . it's made out to Molly Coughlin."


"Now Miss Coughlin, you still don't recognize this check, is that correct?"


"Well. . ."


Taylor stopped her before she could answer, "Miss Coughlin, if you would please turn the check over and look at the reverse. . . tell me, whose signature is that on the back of the check?"


Reluctantly, Molly flipped the paper over and briefly looked down at the scrawl she recognized as her handwriting. Deflated, she said quietly, "Um, mine."


Returning to the defense table, Taylor picked up the other check and again requested to approach the witness.


"Miss Coughlin, could you please describe this item to the jury as well?"


"It, um. . . it's another check."


"Dated when?"


"About two weeks ago."


"The amount?"


"Fifty thousand dollars."


"Was this check also issued by Trans Continental Media to you?"


"Yes."


"And is your signature on the back of this check as well?"


The paper wasn't even turned over this time. "Yes it is."


Taylor again picked up a piece of paper from the defense table and presented it to Molly. "Do you recognize this Miss Coughlin?"


Molly visibly flinched, "Yes."


"And can you tell us what this is?"


"It says it is an account history for a savings account."


"Whose account is it?"


"Mine."


"There are two highlighted items on this statement, could you please describe those to us."


"They are. . ." Molly gave in, drained of any resolve. "They are deposits."


"How much is each deposit?"


"Fifty thousand dollars each."


"When were they made?"


"One was made five weeks ago, and. . ." Molly's voice faltered.


"And?" Taylor prompted.


"Two weeks ago."


Taylor tried not to smile, "Your honor, the defense requests that these three items be marked and admitted into evidence as Defense Exhibits 1, 2, and 3."


The judge glanced at the ADA, "Any objection from the state?"


The ADA, who sat silent during this line of questioning, was brought out of his daze by the judge's voice. He glanced up to respond, shoulders sagging and the smile gone from his face, "No, your honor, no objection."


"The bailiff will retrieve and mark those exhibits as requested."


Taylor turned back to Molly. "Miss Coughlin, you did say that under your contract you didn't receive any royalties or residuals, correct?"


"Yes." Molly looked as if she were about to be sick. The ADA didn't look much better.


"And you also stated that your contract ended seven months ago, correct?"


"Yes."


Sensing that Molly wasn't going to put up a fight, Taylor had little fear in asking the next question. "So Miss Coughlin, could you tell us why Trans Continental Media issued you two checks within the last five weeks, totaling $100,000?"


The room was extremely quiet as everyone waited to hear her response. Molly looked down as she twisted her rings and fidgeted with her hands. After a couple of minutes passed, Taylor softened a bit and spoke to Molly once again. "Miss Coughlin, would you like for me to repeat the question?"


Slowly Molly lifted her head, her eyes swollen and tears on the brink of falling. Her words were soft but audible to those were listening intently. "Um. . .I refuse to answer. . .because. . . I might. . .incriminate myself." She could barely meet Taylor's gaze, and quickly looked away from everything and everyone.


Pausing to let Molly's words have the desired effect, Taylor finally broke the silence a moment later. "I have nothing further your honor." And with that she returned to her seat at the defense table.


The judge turned to the ADA. "Does the State have anything on redirect?" The ADA, who was now slumped at his table, raised his right arm and weakly waved it, "No, your honor."


"The witness may be excused. Ladies and Gentlemen, I believe that is enough for today. We'll resume at nine am tomorrow morning. Court is adjourned." The rap of the gavel echoed loudly in an otherwise quiet room.