- Text Size +


Nick still sat at the defense table, unable to take it all in. He was free and clear, he and Kevin both were. The jury believed in their innocence, and stated it publicly. The nightmare was over.


Well, at least one of them was, he conceded to himself. He still had a couple of problems, and he wasn't quite sure how he was going to deal with them.


When the verdict had been read, all four of them stood for a moment in shock, then reacted. Kevin sank down in his chair with a dazed look, Jamie turned and grabbed Kevin's arm. Nick also sat down, let his head fall backwards against the back of the chair, stared at the ceiling and whispered, "Oh, thank you." Taylor began gathering up her papers.


Then they all began celebrating. AJ, Brian, and Howie came over to them, and everyone began hugging each other. Nick had turned blindly, and found himself face-to-face with Taylor. She looked at him for a moment impassively. Nick said to himself, "What the hell, just go for it Carter." He reached out to hug her, and whispered, "Thank you, Taylor."


She accepted his embrace, but returned it mechanically. She stepped back from him as quickly as she could and said gravely, "You're welcome, Nick." She started to turn away from him, but he stopped her.


"Please Taylor, don't do this," he said, a small whine creeping into his voice. She shook her head, deliberately misunderstanding him.


"Nick, the trial's over. There's nothing more to do. You've been cleared, my job is done." Nick tried to speak, but she turned away and went over to Kevin and Jamie. Everyone packed up and decided to go back to Kevin's house to celebrate.


"I'll meet you there," he said quietly. Jamie looked at him concerned, "Nicky, are you okay?"


"Yeah, just overwhelmed. I'll be there soon, go on ahead, I'll catch up," he smiled faintly at her. Jamie nodded, hugging him again. Everyone else left so that he was the only one in the room, and he sat back down, resting his arms on the table, and his head on his arms.


Then there was his secret. He had been so afraid it would be revealed during this whole process, destroying everything. And even though it hadn't been, he still wasn't relieved, because it was still out there. It could still come back to haunt him, and that was his problem. . . "Nick," a hesitant voice broke into his thoughts.


Surprised, Nick looked up at the person who had spoken. "Yeah?" he said wearily. He hadn't heard anyone reenter the room.


"Nick, I'm. . ." her voice broke off. Then a whisper, "I'm sorry for everything."


Nick nodded, and her hand rested on top of his. "No one else knows about us, do they?" she asked.


"No. I never said anything, and I won't. You aren't going to, are you?"


"No. Things would just become even more complicated than they already are," she replied.


"Yeah, they would." They stared at each other for a moment. He wished things could be different, that she hadn't forced it to end this way, but there was no going back now, no starting over.


"Nick, can we start over?" her question echoed his thoughts.


He sighed and shook his head. "Considering everything that's happened, I don't think it's a good idea. I wish we could, but. . ." The hand left his, and he felt a sense of loneliness.


"I understand. Well, goodbye Nick. Take care of yourself." She walked away. Nick watched her leave, then put his head back down on his hands.


"Goodbye Molly."





"Feeling better, Heads?" Taylor smiled at her friend. They were at the airport, waiting for Taylor's flight back to Oklahoma City.


"You have no idea. I wish I could say I knew all along they were going to be found innocent," replied Jamie. "You did a great job, Taylor. Thank you for agreeing to help me. Well, to help Kevin and Nick. We owe you so much."


"Please, when have I ever turned you down, especially for something I was going to get paid for?" Taylor laughed. Jamie shook her head, but laughed too.


"Seriously, Jamie, I'm glad I could help. But we both did it you know."


"I know. We work pretty well as a team."


"Yeah, we did."


"That's what got me thinking," said Jamie.


Taylor laughed, "Oh no, that's always dangerous. I thought I heard a hamster wheel squeaking!"


Jamie gave her a playful shove, "Bitch. Really, I thought about it last night, we should work together more often, you and I."


Taylor raised her eyebrows in surprise. "You're moving to Oklahoma City? Kevin must love that idea."


"No, actually I'm going to move here to Orlando. Kevin and I were talking last night. . ."


"Is that what you're calling it now, talking?" Taylor smirked.


Jamie rolled her eyes. "If you would ever let me finish a sentence, Kevin and I were talking, and I decided that I should move to Florida. I don't want us to be separated anymore than we already are. I'm going to apply for admission to the Bar, and I'll be needing a partner for my new firm." She looked at Taylor pointedly.


Taylor held her hands up, "Me? I don't think so, Heads. Sorry."


"What? You love Oklahoma that much?"


"It's not that, Jamie. I'm established there, people know me and my reputation. I'm not sure I want to start all over again."


"Are you kidding me? Taylor, we just finished a high-profile case, how much more of a reputation do you want?" Jamie looked at Taylor, then she sighed heavily. "This is about Nick, isn't it. You don't want to be near him, right?"


"I never said that."


"You don't have to. It's been obvious for a while you don't like being alone with him or near him. You never did tell me, what really happened in Tampa?"


"I swear, Jamie this has nothing to do with Nick," Taylor sidestepped. "I'm settled in Oklahoma City, and I don't want to move right now. It's not a good idea, really. Besides, Mike. . ."


"Mike? Mike? He's the reason you don't want to do this? Are you really going to let him ruin your life?"


"He's not ruining my life, and I would appreciate it if you would stop harassing me about him." Jamie would have said more, but just then Taylor's flight was announced. The two girls got up, and headed for the gangway.


Jamie hugged Taylor, "I'm sorry. Thanks for everything again, but think about my offer, please."


Taylor shook her head, "All right, all right. I'll think about it, but I'm not promising anything."


Jamie gave a half-smile, "Fine, that's all I wanted to hear you say. I'll let it go for now. Have a good flight. Call me when you get home." They hugged again, and Taylor boarded the plane.


Jamie stood there until the plane left the gate. "Taylor, please think about what I've said," she thought to herself, "You need to do this more than you realize." Jamie watched the plane take off into the air, then turned and walked away from the terminal.





"Oh come on, that was funny."


"Jamie, I can't believe you still read the comic section of the paper," said Kevin. They were still in bed, sections of the Sunday newspaper lay scattered all around them. Kevin was reading the front page, while Jamie was giggling over Garfield.


"Oh yeah, this from a man who still laughs hysterically over South Park. Remember this the next time I accidentally call you while it's on, and you yell at me for interrupting."


"You won't have to call, you'll be moving here. You'll just be in a different room."


"Kevin, I meant here as in Orlando, not here as in your house. I told you how I felt about that." He leaned over and kissed her.


"Sorry, baby. I'll leave that decision up to you, and what you're comfortable with." He kissed her again, tapped her once on the nose which made her smile, and then they went back to reading.


Suddenly, he sat up. "Hey, there's an article in here about Lou and Molly." Jamie scooted up next to Kevin until she was reading the paper over his shoulder. She squinted at the print since it was on the opposite side of the paper from her, and asked him to read it to her.


"That's What She Said. . . ugh, why did they have to ruin a perfectly good song by making that the name of the article?" Kevin groaned. "Brian's gonna love that."


"Just read the rest of the article, please, I want to know what's going on," said Jamie.


"The whole thing or just the highlights?"


"Just highlights, I can read it later if I really want."


"Okay, let's see here," he began skimming the article. "After making a thorough investigation, the District Attorney's Office has concluded that nothing further can be done at this time. Evidence that was presented in the trial of Backstreet Boys Kevin Richardson and Nick Carter suggested that Miss Coughlin was paid by local record producer Lou Pearlman to fabricate charges of assault and rape against them. While it was enough to convince the jury of their innocence, the DA has decided it is not enough to link Pearlman and Coughlin in a conspiracy against Richardson and Carter at this time. The DA's office has declared this investigation closed, pending any new evidence being found." Kevin looked up with a stunned expression, "Does this mean that I think it does? He's being let off without any type of punishment?"


Jamie sighed, "I'm afraid so, darlin'. If they don't have enough evidence to prove that there was a conspiracy, it's a waste of their time to try and prosecute him when he's sure to walk away."


"Well, I know he did it and so does Nick. Can't we press charges and force the DA to prosecute them?"


She shook her head, "Not likely. If the DA thinks there isn't a case, there's nothing you can do about it. The DA has final discretion, and if he won't, you can't. I'm sorry." Kevin kicked the covers aside and got up out of the bed. He began pacing back and forth, grumbling under his breath. Jamie got up as well, and moved in front of him, wrapping her arms around his waist. He looked down at her.


"Kev, the DA's decision closes the case, but only for now. If they find new evidence, the case can be reopened, and charge him then. Look at it this way, if they went ahead now and he walks because of no evidence, it's over, he's just as free as you are. But if you wait and something else turns up, they can build a stronger case and get him. I know you're upset, but for right now this is the best option. Please have patience." He stared at her for a long moment, then nodded. "For now," he agreed.


Jamie let go and walked back over to the bed, getting back underneath the covers. She picked up the paper Kevin had tossed down, and scanned for the article again.


"What are you doing?"


"I want to see if there's anything else in the article." Flipping to the page, she folded the paper over and began reading. "Well, if it'll make you feel any better, Molly was charged with perjury. But her sentence has been suspended."


"No, it doesn't make me feel better, but thanks for trying."


Jamie just smiled at him and held open the comforter. "Oh, I'm not done trying, I think I can find another way to make you feel better."


Kevin looked down at her, her light brown eyes sparkling. He gave her a half-grin, and said, "Oh, I just bet you can, baby."