- Text Size +


The rest of the week passed in a blur. They tried to record, but Kevin and Nick were so tense and nervous, it was obvious that nothing productive was going to happen. Brian tried approaching his cousin once, to try and figure out what was going on. Kevin's answer was evasive and noncommittal, and Brian was left more confused than he had been before trying to talk to Kevin. Howie tried the same with Nick, but also got nowhere. AJ approached Jamie, and although it seemed to him that she wanted to say something, she too revealed nothing.


The day before Jamie was due to leave, Kevin decided that he would try to get things on a more even keel. The previous days had been nervewracking. The three of them hadn't heard anything more from the detective. Kevin and Nick both hoped this had all been a mistake, and that nothing more would come of it. Kevin and Jamie couldn't relax enough to enjoy their time together. The investigation hung over their heads like a guillotine blade, and all three of them were waiting for it to fall.


After the recording session, Kevin pulled Nick over to one side.


"Hey, Jamie is leaving tomorrow," Kevin began, "so I thought we could get the guys together and go to breakfast before we take her to the airport, okay?"


Nick nodded, "Yeah, that sounds cool. How about I call the guys tonight and have them meet us at Oy’s at 8 – when is her flight?"


"Not until 10:30, so that'll be fine. I think we all need some normal stuff going on right about now." Kevin visibly relaxed, and Nick clapped a hand onto his shoulder. "You all right, Train?"


"Yeah, at least I think I will be," he sighed. "This whole thing just needs to be over. I wish Jamie could stay a little bit longer though. This hasn't exactly been easy on her."


"It hasn't been easy on any of us. Maybe we can convince the others to take a break for a couple of weeks, and you can go up to Cincinnati and get away from everything."


"That might be a good idea."


"Of course it is, it's one of my ideas," Nick said with false bravado. Kevin rolled his eyes, then snorted. "Go home Kaos, will ya?"


"Much better. Go home yourself and concentrate on your lady tonight," said Nick. Kevin walked away still shaking his head. Nick watched Kevin turn the corner, and the smile faded from Nick's face. He leaned up against the wall. He wished there was someone who could take his mind off of this whole mess, instead going home to an empty, lonely house where all he could do was endlessly worry and think about what was happening. Even his beloved Nintendo or his dogs weren't helping take his mind off of things. Nick sighed, eased away from the wall slowly, then followed Kevin out to the parking lot.


Jamie and Kevin spent the night alone, but both were distracted. Jamie felt guilty for leaving with all that was happening, but she knew there wasn’t too much she could do right now. Nick got the others to agree to meet for breakfast and to see Jamie off. The three of them fell asleep that night full of tension and fear about what might happen next.





At breakfast Nick, Kevin and Jamie put on the best act that they could. The other guys sensed that something was wrong but they still had no idea what. Sitting across the table from him, Brian saw something in Nick’s eyes he didn't recognize. Brian thought he would try once more to find out what was going on.


As everyone was walking into the airport, Brian pulled Nick aside.


"Hey little buddy. . . you okay this morning?"


"Yeah, Rok, I’m fine. Just tired I guess."


"Yeah right, come on Frack, I see it. . . I know there’s something bugging you, it's been bugging you all week, what is it?" Brian said, looking hurt. "You know you can talk to me."


"Come on Rok, just leave me alone, okay? I’m just kinda out of it. Just leave it be." With that, Nick walked back up to the others, walking beside Jamie and Kevin with his head down.


Brian sighed and caught up to AJ and Howie who were talking amongst themselves.


Jamie got her boarding pass and her bags were checked with plenty of time to spare, so they all walked down to the gate. The flight was about half full, and the six of them waited by the gate for Jamie's flight to be called without too much hassle.


Finally, the flight attendant announced boarding would start. Jamie stood up, and smiled at all of them. "Well, I guess that's me. I'm going to miss you guys."


The others stood as well, and Kevin gave her a huge hug. "I love you, Jaim."


"I love you too, hon." She closed her eyes as the hug tightened. She pulled her head back to look at him and whispered, "Are you going to be all right?"


Kevin nodded, and she said, "Call me the minute anything happens, Kevin. I'm going to go crazy until I hear from you."


Kevin nodded again, held her for a minute, then released her. Jamie turned to Brian, "Cuz."


Brian smiled, "Bye cuz." They hugged, and she whispered in Brian's ear, "Keep an eye on Kevin for me, will you? Make sure he's okay."


"I will," Brian promised, and kissed her on the cheek. AJ and Howie came up for their goodbyes, and Jamie turned finally to Nick, who stood there with a troubled look.


"Nicky, it's okay." She hugged him fiercely, and said quietly, "It's going to be okay, little brother, I promise. Like I asked Kevin, call me when you know anything, and watch out for each other."


Nick promised, and she ruffled his hair. Nick gave a weak smile, then gave her a little push. "Go on, get outta here."


"All right, I better go before things get really mushy." She turned to Kevin once again, gave him another hug, kissed him, then picked up her bag and walked over to the boarding station. As she entered the gangway leading to the plane, she turned to wave goodbye one last time. The guys all were looking at her, so she was the only one who saw several police officers over at the ticket counter. The ticket agent pointed in the direction of the boys and the policemen turned and walked toward them.


"Excuse me, Kevin Richardson?" One of the policemen stopped in front of Kevin. Kevin’s eyes got very wide as he nodded.


Another policemen stood beside Nick, "Nickolas Carter?" He nodded as well.


"Mr. Richardson, Mr. Carter, we have warrants for your arrest."


AJ, Howie and Brian stood there in total shock.


Jamie raced out of the gangway back over to the group as the officers were about to cuff Kevin and Nick. "Wait, what are you doing? What are the charges?"


"Both are charged with Assault, miss. Please, step away and let us do this."


"Okay, listen, I am one of their attorneys – can you just walk them out without cuffs, you know these guys are well-known and we would really appreciate not making a scene. Please." Jamie sincerely pleaded.


"Yeah, I guess that would be okay as long as they don’t make any trouble."


Kevin and Nick both were on the verge of tears and the policeman was convinced they would not cause a problem. The handcuffs were put away, and Jamie sighed with relief.


Jamie looked up at Kevin and Nick, "Don’t worry, okay, I am going to find out what the hell is going on here. I will meet you guys at the police station. Just hang on, okay?" She was fighting back tears of her own, but she didn’t let them see that.


Kevin and Nick just lowered their heads as the police escorted them out of the airport. Jamie could hear the officers quietly reading them their rights as they left.


After the police had gone, AJ, Howie and Brian just stared at Jamie. "Come on guys, I’ll explain what I know on the way to the police station."


As they walked out of the airport, Jamie thought she heard a noise that sounded a lot like the whistle of a falling guillotine blade.