- Text Size +


It was still a little dark outside and Jamie was already out of bed when Kevin woke up early the next morning. He pulled a robe on and walked down the hallway. Seeing a light coming from under the office door, he quietly pushed the door open and saw her sitting at the computer rubbing her eyes.


"Good morning, beautiful," he said quietly so as not to startle her.


"Hey you," she replied, standing up and walking over to him. "You're up early, it's not even six yet."


"I couldn't sleep, especially without you there next to me," he said as he leaned down to kiss her softly. "Why are you up so early?"


"I wanted to type up a motion to represent you two pro hac vice today at the hearing," she said, walking back over to the computer.


"A motion to what?" he said laughing, "That just sounds bad."


Jamie grinned up at him, "Pro hac vice, it's basically just a request to the court that I represent you even though I am not licensed in Florida."


"Oh I see. Are you finished with it? We could get Nick up and get some breakfast."


"Yeah, I just need to print it. Why don't you jump in the shower and I'll go wake Nick up."


Kevin walked over and leaned down to kiss her, whispering, "How about you join me in the shower instead?"


"Um, it's not that I don't want to," she blushed, "but. . ." He started kissing down her neck. "But. . . Kevin," she sat up and pushed him away gently, "we need to concentrate this morning. This is very important!"


"Okay, okay, I know it is, baby. I can see you're in 'attorney mode' again." He said mockingly, "I'll just go shower all by my lonesome then." Turning around with a smile on his face, he left the room.


Jamie sat there with a slight dazed grin on her face before she shook herself and proofed the motion one last time before printing it out. She read over it once more then signed her name and bar number at the bottom.





Jamie walked down the hall to Nick's room and knocked lightly on the door. She didn't hear anything so she carefully pushed the door open. Nick was sprawled out on the bed, face down. It looked as though he had a restless night, bedclothes were scattered everywhere and he was tangled up in the sheet that remained on the bed. She walked over to the edge of the bed and lightly nudged his shoulder.


"Nicky, wake up."


Nick bolted up in bed, "Huh, what??" Realizing where he was and who was there, he rubbed his eyes, "Oh, sorry, you just kind of scared me. What time is it?"


"It's about 6:30. We're gonna go get breakfast before we go to the courthouse. Can you be ready by 7:15?"


"Yeah, sure. No problem," he said quietly and began untangling himself from the bed. Jamie started to walk away when Nick stopped her.


"Jamie . . ."


"Yeah, Nick?" she said, turning around and seeing the sadness in his eyes.


"I'm scared." Jamie walked back to the bed and put her arms around Nick.


"It's going to be fine Nicky, please don't worry. We are going to take care of everything, okay?"


"I know, but I just can't stop thinking about it. When we were at the jail yesterday, it was, well, it was worse than I ever imagined." He shivered at the thought, and she rocked him gently.


Jamie tried to be strong, but similar thoughts ran through her mind. "Just remember that you didn't do anything wrong. Concentrate on that, it will make all the difference in the world. You won't go back there, we'll do our best to make sure of that." She hugged him once more, "Now, come on, let's get all dressed up, I want everyone to see what an upstanding, handsome young man you are." She smiled at him and he smirked a little.


"I don't know how impressive I can be on such short notice, but hey, I'll do my best," he said. Jamie rolled her eyes and left the room. Nick's smirk left his face, and he sat back down on the bed, his head in his hands.





Kevin and Nick, both dressed in very conservative suits, were waiting nervously in the living room when Jamie came downstairs. Jamie was dressed to kill in a fitted navy blue suit with faint creme pinstripes. Her soft auburn hair was pulled elegantly into a french twist.


"Wow," Kevin said, blinking, "You look amazing."


"Yeah, Jamie, you look really good," Nick agreed.


"Don't sound so shocked guys, and pick your mouths up off of the floor," Jamie laughed. "This is what I look like every day I'm not down here visiting you guys. What did you think I wore to work, sweat pants?"


"I don't know. I guess I just kinda forget sometimes. . ." Kevin chuckled, "I forget that you really are a lawyer." Nick laughed with him, but saw that Kevin was about be in big trouble.


"Funny, very funny. Yes, I really am a lawyer, and don't you ever forget it, mister," Jamie said, narrowing her eyes before cracking a smile and smacking Kevin on the arm. "You are about to get a small demonstration of my abilities, you know."


Unfortunately, that last remark sobered them all up. "I know," said Kevin quietly. "I wish you could show me this differently."


"So do I, Kev. So do I. But we can't change this for now. Let's go and get this done, okay?" She hugged them both and tried to change the mood slightly.


"Can we go eat now, please? I am about to fall over from starvation. Besides it's not often I get to go anywhere with two gorgeous men."


"Wouldn't want you to starve," Kevin said with a slight grin. "Although, who's the other gorgeous man that's joining us? I only see Blondie here, and he's notthat good-looking." Nick frowned, and whined, "Hey!"


Jamie chuckled, "Leave Nick alone. He may not be as gorgeous as you, Kev, but he still is fairly good-looking, for a blond."


Nick's frown didn't leave his face, "Why are you two picking today to pick on me? Besides, everyone knows I'm the best looking Backstreet Boy!" Kevin rolled his eyes and Jamie laughed outright.


With that the three of them left to go to breakfast, still squabbling over their looks.





After a quiet breakfast they drove to the courthouse and pulled in the parking garage.


"Nick, can you grab my briefcase from the back for me?" Jamie asked, getting out of the truck.


"Sure, I got it." he said as he picked it up, "Damn, what do you have in here, this thing weighs a ton."


"Whatever, you wimp," Jamie said laughing, taking the briefcase from him, and swinging it in a small arc.


Jamie strode confidently into the courthouse while Kevin and Nick trailed behind, hanging their heads. She turned to look at both of them and stopped suddenly.


"Okay you two, it's show time," she said as she stared at both of them.


"What?" they said in unison.


"I said, it's show time. Think of this as a show. I don't care how you feel, just put on a happy face, look confident and look innocent. Okay?"


"But I thought that this thing was just like a formality anyway?" Kevin asked.


"It very well may be just a formality, but it is also the judge's first opportunity to see you, and like everything else in life, first impressions count. We want the judge to like you, and we want the DA to see confidence. If he smells any fear from either of you, we're dead." As Jamie finished her soapbox spiel, Nick looked at her with the saddest face she had ever seen.


"But Jamie . . ."


"But nothing Nick, you can do this, I know you can. You go out in front of thousands of people each night with no problem. Just think of this as a smaller venue, all right? You are a much stronger and more mature person than anyone gives you credit for, okay?" Jamie said, trying her best to reassure him. Nick nodded, and took a deep breath.


"Great, much better," said Jamie. "You can do this, just follow my lead."


Kevin put his arm on Nick and the three of them walked towards the courtroom, heads held high.





The courtroom was pretty big for a county courthouse. Kevin and Nick took seats in the back while Jamie went to speak with the judge's clerk. When she was finished she went back to speak to Kevin and Nick.


"Okay, I gave my motion to the judge and he'll rule on it as soon as your case comes up." She started explaining what was going to happen, "At nine o'clock, the judge will read the docket for this morning, basically just a list of prelims for today. I am going to sit up in front of the bar and when he calls your case I need you two to come up and stand at the table with me, okay?" Neither Nick nor Kevin seemed to pay much attention to her, but at least they knew when to go up there.


The courtroom was not overly crowded. Thankfully, no press had shown up to turn it into a media circus. After discussing it with Denise the night before, they all decided that it might be better if no one else came to the hearing. No one wanted to draw any more attention to this than was necessary. Everyone would be there for trial, that fiasco was unavoidable, but as for this, Jamie especially wanted it to be very low key.


The docket was called and about an hour and a half later, the clerk called Docket Number 99-1003, State v. Kevin Scott Richardson and Nickolas Gene Carter.


Jamie stood and motioned for Kevin and Nick to join her at the front of the court room.


"Russell Dixon for the State, your honor," the Assistant District Attorney said, standing to address the judge.


"Jamie Saxon for the defense, your honor. I have respectfully submitted a motion to represent these defendants pro hac vice, but only for this hearing."


"I have your motion Ms. Saxon, and it is granted. Are you planning to obtain local counsel for trial?"


"Yes your honor, we have already retained counsel for that purpose but she is unable to be here for this hearing."


"Fine. Motion to represent pro hac vice is granted and noted for the record. Thank you Ms. Saxon. Mr. Dixon, would you please read the information?"


"Certainly, your honor." The Assistant District Attorney proceeded to read the information, the list of charges and allegations made against Kevin and Nick.


It was obvious that this was going to come down to a he said/she said type of case. The allegations were a bit more brutal than Jamie had thought. This girl had basically insinuated everything from sexual assault to rape, and most things in between. Nick and Kevin just sunk down in their chairs as the ADA read, until Jamie looked over and motioned for them to sit up.


When Mr. Dixon finished, the judge looked over to Kevin and Nick, "Will the defendants please rise. . ." Kevin and Nick stood up next to Jamie. "Mr. Richardson, do you wish to enter a plea at this time?"


Jamie nodded at Kevin as if to say, 'It's okay,' "Um, yes, your honor, I plead not guilty."


"Noted for the record. Mr. Carter, do you wish to enter a plea at this time?"


"Uhhhh, I plead not guilty, your honor," Nick stammered.


"Noted for the record. Ms. Saxon, do you intend to file a motion to sever the trials?"


"No your honor, we see no reason for separate trials," Jamie replied.


"Fine. Mr. Dixon, you may call your first witness."


Detective Corin was the prosecutor's only witness and he essentially explained what he had told Nick, Kevin and Jamie. His statements coupled with the information were most likely enough to bind the two over for trial.


When the prosecutor was finished, he sat down and the judge looked at Jamie again.


"Counsel, I have heard enough evidence to establish probable cause and bind your clients over for trial," the judge said, looking through a folder on his desk. "I am going to continue their bond and set trial for two weeks from tomorrow, is that acceptable to both sides?"


The ADA spoke up, "Your honor, considering the charges, we would like to request the defendants be held without bond. . ."


"Save it counselor, they are not in here for murder and your probable cause was shaky as is. Don't push your luck."


Jamie smiled, knowing that this was a very good start for Nick and Kevin.


"Ms. Saxon, any objections?"


"No your honor."


"Trial is set two weeks from tomorrow. Case adjourned."


Jamie signaled for Kevin and Nick to follow her out of the court room and into the hallway.





"Okay guys, that wasn't so bad, was it?" Jamie smiled at them both.


"If it wasn't so bad, why are my knees still shaking?" Nick said.


Jamie put her arm around both of them, "Seriously though, it went really well. The judge doesn't seem to like the ADA all that much and he knows that the case is weak."


"Then why didn't he just let us go if their case is that weak?" Kevin asked, looking down at Jamie.


"Well, technically there was enough to bind you over, but there isn't much more. He really didn't have a choice." The three of them walked towards the parking garage. "Why don't we go to lunch, and then do something relaxing like maybe go to the beach?"


"Yeah, let's go to the beach," Nick agreed, almost jumping up and down as if he were a small child.


Jamie laughed, "We should probably get some fun and relaxation in today before we pick Taylor up at the airport tonight. Once she gets here the fun is over."


"What do you mean by that?" Kevin asked.


"Let's just say that Taylor is a little more, um, intense than I am." She burst out laughing again as Kevin and Nick just looked confusedly at each other. "You'll see what I mean soon enough."