- Text Size +


The next two weeks flew by for everyone. Kevin didn't mention Molly again, which came as a great relief to Nick. He relaxed, and he and Taylor enjoyed getting to know one another better. They went shopping, went out for dinner and spent hours lying in each other's arms talking about anything and everything. It was therapeutic for both of them. Taylor learned to trust him more and more. Nick came to know the real Taylor, the one Jamie knew. They weren't forcing each other into anything, emotionally or otherwise, and there was no pressure between them. They simply talked about whatever came up.


Nick sensed that a physical relationship was not really what Taylor wanted right now. She was still very depressed about her paralysis and it was obvious that this made her feel self-conscious and unattractive. It didn't matter to Nick at all, but he understood and made no move to advance that part of their relationship. Instead, he lovingly showered her with compliments and gifts, which were sincere and carefully used to help boost her self-esteem.





At the end of that second week, Jamie finally moved to Orlando and it was a great relief to everyone. Kevin was happier and so was Taylor. Nick was just happy to see Taylor smiling more and laughing more. Taylor was very excited that Jamie had finally moved, even if it was into Kevin's house. The firm had given Jamie a month to get settled and organize things for the office before they officially opened for business. While she spent some of her time working on the new office, Jamie took full advantage of the first few days to catch up with those she had missed so much. Kevin was more than ecstatic to have her living with him even if she adamantly stated that it was only temporary.


Although before this whole mess started, Jamie and Taylor didn't see each other more than a few times a year, it was obvious the two friends needed one another now, more than ever before. When the two of them were together, the others couldn't help but smile, they were like two halves of the same soul. Nick and Kevin did their best to weasel in to their inner circle, but the girls would only let them in so far, and then they teased the boys mercilessly as they verbally threw them back out of the loop. It was a game they enjoyed and one that Kevin and Nick reconciled themselves to playing. Most days Nick would bring Taylor with him to Orlando in the mornings and she would spend the day at Kevin's house with Jamie.


Jamie was telling Taylor about the going away party that her co-workers threw for her before she left Cincinnati, when Nick walked into the room. Unnoticed by the pair, he stood in the doorway and listened to them.


"Yeah, in the middle of the afternoon everyone piled into my office," Jamie was saying. "Just a little cramped, but hilarious, considering I was on a conference call at the time. The other party on the phone wanted to know what all the laughter was about, they didn't think their offer was all that funny. Anyway, once I finished the call, we had a little party. Andy and Deb brought in a cake and some champagne, so it was slightly embarrassing with a toast and all. They even had a going-away present for me, a CD they had burned for me. They played it during the party, you have no idea how funny it all was."


"Really? What's on the CD?" Taylor asked. Jamie shook her head, and began laughing again.


"The intro message on it is from Andy and Deb, and when they had time to do this considering all the work I've given them to do is beyond me. Here, listen for yourself." Jamie dug through the box on the floor in front of the entertainment center and came up with a CD. She put it into the stereo, adjusted the sound, and her secretary and law clerk's voices came through the speakers.

"Jaim, we can't believe you're leaving us behind while you go traipsing off to SUNNY WARM Florida."

"Yeah, although, maybe I can transfer law schools. . .are there even any in Orlando?"

"Andy! You're not leaving, so forget it! If she wouldn't take me with her, there's no way you're going."

"Okay, okay, can't afford it anyway. . .back to the point of this. . . we wanted to record this so you would always remember us, especially when it comes to our vacation time, and we're looking for someplace WARM to go. . ."

"Oooh, vacation plans, hadn't even thought of that. Sounds good to me. Yeah, Jaim, keep a spare room for us in that mansion you're no doubt moving into."

"Anyhow, we thought we'd make a CD of your favorite songs for you, something to remember us by, one of our infamous party mixes for you! We hope you like it!"

"But keep in mind this was all Andy's idea. . ."

The CD lapsed into silence, and Jamie said, "I can't believe they did this. Ready?" Taylor nodded as the first song began.


"It's tearin' up my heart when I'm with you,

But when we are apart I feel it too. . ."


"Hey!" said Nick, and both girls turned to see him standing in the doorway, hands on hips, glaring at the CD player. Jamie was still laughing, and seeing Nick offended by the music caused her to double over, and she almost fell off the couch. He came into the room and turned off the stereo, still glaring at the machine.


"Nicky!" she managed to say between breaths. "You'd better leave while you can, little brother, you're not going to like the rest of this any better."


"Why?" he asked suspiciously.


"Their present to me was a CD full of 'boyband' songs. . . you name it it's on here, N'Sync, Hanson, Youngstown. But no Backstreet anywhere, they made sure of that."


"Again, why?"


"You'd have to meet them to fully understand. But let's just say they find it ironic that my boyfriend is in a boyband, given all the stuff I used to say about the bands, you guys in particular."


"We're not a boyband. . ." started Nick.


"Yes I know, Nicky. But I didn't make any distinctions when I didn't like you, you know that. Actually, I know you've heard some of things I've said about you."


"Yeah, yeah, yeah," he waved her off.


Taylor turned to Jamie, "The point is why is this your present? You really like these songs?"


"Nope, can't stand them, but that's all part of Andy's bizarre sense of humor. Since he said I was about to be immersed fully in 'the Backstreet experience', the least he could do was remind me of the other music that's out there," she said, trying hard to regain her composure. "You missed Kevin's reaction, though."


"You actually played this for him?"


Jamie nodded, "Yeah, he saw it last night and wanted to know what it was. So I played it for him. He mentioned something about going up to Cincinnati and giving Andy a 'Backstreet experience' of his own. . .Kev's foot kicking Andy's ass." Jamie exploded into laughter again.


"Don't laugh too hard, I may help him," Nick muttered darkly.


"Whatever happened to 'I'm a non-violent person', Nicky?" asked Jamie. He narrowed his eyes at her. "After all, it's only an N'Sync song. . ."


"I am," he said, walking over to Taylor and leaning down to kiss her quickly, "but I have my limits," he said, biting back a comment about the song itself. Taylor turned her head and returned his kiss, pulling him down to the couch.


Jamie made a gagging noise, pointed in their direction and then chuckled when they both blushed and broke apart, "Speaking of limits, what did you do with that no-good boyfriend of mine? Didn't he come home from the studio with you?"


"He said he was going to stop at the store for something, he should be here any minute."


He was home a few minutes later, a bouquet of roses in each hand, white for Taylor and red for Jamie.


"Kev, man, you're makin' me look bad," Nick whined when Kevin arrived with the flowers.


"Don't worry Nicky-boy, you have a chance to redeem yourself," Kevin said, drawing inquisitive looks from all three of them, "You're cooking dinner."


When Taylor and Jamie had stopped laughing long enough to notice the permanent pout Nick was sporting, Taylor spoke up. "Don't worry, I'll help. . .this could be fun." Pushing her wheelchair through the doorway, Nick turned to Jamie and Kevin and stuck his tongue out with a 'so there!' look.





Dinner was wonderful. The four leaned back away from the table, patting their overstuffed tummies and smiling.


"I still don't believe you actually cooked, Nick," Kevin said jokingly. "And that it was really good."


"Well, I couldn't really do anything wrong with Taylor hovering like a mother hen and barking orders at me left and right," Nick responded, glancing in Taylor's direction with a wink and a smirk.


The conversation quickly devolved into one in which Nick and Kevin were the main topic, each carefully raked over the proverbial coals by Jamie and Taylor. All in all it was a good evening between four good friends.





Taylor and Nick spent the night in "Nick's Room", as Jamie had dubbed Kevin's guestroom. Taylor had a doctor's appointment the following day and Kevin and Nick had an early call at the studio, so it was simpler to stay the night.


Jamie was idly flipping through a magazine in the doctor's office waiting for Taylor's appointment to be finished, when Taylor came cruising out into the room. She was visibly excited and smiling. Jamie noted the look and asked, "Well? What's the verdict?"


"Tap my leg, no better yet, kick me," said Taylor.


"Kick you? Are you crazy, I'm not going to kick you."


"Just do it," commanded Taylor, as she wheeled herself in front of Jamie. Jamie brushed the toe of her shoe over Taylor's shin. Taylor raised her eyebrow and said, "That's the best you can do? I said, kick me, damnit."


Jamie rolled her eyes, then kicked Taylor. "Ouch, you bitch! That hurt!" said Taylor, reaching down to rub her shin, but laughing. Several other patients in the room looked over and some were frowning at Jamie, who weakly smiled at them, then turned back to glare at Taylor.


"What? You just said to kick you. . .hey, wait a minute, you felt that?" asked Jamie, startled. Taylor nodded.


"Yup, the doctor says the paralysis is practically gone, and that I've got all of my reflexes back."


"Oh my God, that's great!" said Jamie as she leaned down to hug her friend. "So you're just in that chair for fun now?"


"Well, not exactly. I still can't walk very well, since I haven't in almost two months, so I'll need it for a little longer. But I'll need a cane until I regain my balance and all that. The nurse went to go find me one to take with us."


"We need to celebrate! Let me call Kevin and Nick. . ." Jamie said as Taylor interrupted her.


"Just tell them to meet us somewhere for dinner. I want it to be a surprise. Actually, ask if all of them can come for dinner, might as well make it good." Jamie nodded as she called Kevin and they made arrangements to meet at 6:30 for dinner. As she closed her cell, she turned to face Taylor, "All set. But I think you and I need to do something this afternoon."


"Absolutely. I think this calls for a trip to the mall."


Jamie was slightly surprised because Taylor didn't like going places where she could be seen in the wheelchair. Taylor wasn't obvious about it, but Jamie knew. "Oh really? Shopping, eh?" smiled Jamie as the nurse handed her an antique looking cane for Taylor. "Well then, let's hit the mall! Anything in particular you looking for?"


"Yup," nodded Taylor. "I need running shoes!"





Taylor and Jamie had a successful shopping trip followed by a stop back at Kevin's house to change clothes and freshen up. They both did their best to hide their excitement as Jamie pulled into the restaurant parking lot. They looked around and counted the cars; everyone else was already inside the restaurant. Jamie helped Taylor out of the car and into the wheelchair. With a knowing glance between them, they headed inside.


The hostess escorted them towards the back where they saw the guys sitting casually around a large table. Nick had his back to them as they approached the table. Taylor stopped several feet from the table, but Jamie walked over to Kevin, who sat waiting for a kiss. Nick immediately turned around to see Taylor as he got up to help her into a chair.


She held up her hand to forestall him, "Just a sec Nick, stay right there for a minute okay?" Nick stopped, slightly confused, and just stood by the table looking at Taylor. The others also watched in silence, wondering what Taylor was doing. Jamie sat down next to Kevin, holding his hand and fidgeting slightly with her excitement. Kevin started to ask her what was going on, but she whispered, "Shush, just look."


Taylor carefully locked the brakes on the chair and leaned down to move her feet and her legs out of the lower parts of the chair. Holding tightly onto the sides of the chair, she slowly rose up to a standing position as everyone at the table sat wide-eyed. Pausing a moment to catch her balance and staring intently down at her feet, Taylor slowly put one foot in front of the other and took a step toward Nick. She kept looking down as she took a couple more tentative steps and then brought her eyes up to Nick as she painstakingly moved the last few feet into Nick's waiting arms.


He picked her off the ground and held her tightly as a few tears slid down his cheeks.


"Surprise," she whispered lovingly into his ear while he held her.


He didn't say anything, but his tears of joy streamed a little faster. A moment later he calmed down and carefully slid her back down to the ground, his arms still holding her close to his body. Taylor pulled him down with her and again whispered to him, "I love you, Nick."


He pulled back from her and looked into her eyes where a few tears had welled. "I love you too, Taylor," he said as he leaned down and kissed her with all he had.


AJ drummed his fingers on the table loudly, giving them a second before his brash nature took over. "Ahem, excuse me you two. . ." They broke apart and looked over at him with broad smiles while everyone else laughed. "You love birds are cute and all, but now I think we have a reason to par-tay! Oh, waiter!"


And they did. Everyone ate and drank and laughed until they were exhausted from enjoying themselves. As they all parted ways, each of the guys gave Taylor a big hug and kiss to congratulate her on her recovery. Finally it was just the four of them, and Kevin and Jamie walked with Nick and Taylor to the car. It was slow going because Taylor insisted on walking and using her cane, and she had to stop several times to catch her breath. Nick offered her wheelchair, but she shook her head stubbornly and continued on.


Kevin took on his fatherly tone as he leaned into Nick's truck to give Taylor one last hug. "Hey kiddo, you take it easy, okay? I know you want to go run a marathon tomorrow, but. . ."


"I know Dad, I know," Taylor said laughing. "Don't you worry, I have other, um, less mobile activities in mind," she said arching an eyebrow in Jamie's direction.


Jamie cracked up as Kevin and Nick exchanged a cautious 'so-are-ya-gonna-get-lucky?' look between them. Revving his engine slightly, Nick and Taylor left Jamie and Kevin standing in the parking lot as they headed home to Tampa.

Lyrics from Tearin' Up My Heart by N'Sync ©1998