- Text Size +


The ride home was tense, but in the best possible way.


As he helped Taylor out of the truck at the house, Nick carefully took her hand and kissed it. She felt the jolt as his lips lingered longer than she thought they would. Nick raised his eyes from her hand to catch her stare as both of them realized something new was passing between them. It was as if a floodgate had been opened around them and waves of understanding, trust and love were flowing from one to the other and back again. For the first time ever, they were free to love one another, with nothing hanging over them and no pain buried deep inside.


He picked her up and carried her inside. Wanting to walk on her own, she started to protest but he stopped her as his lips fell across hers in a gentle kiss. She kissed him back and allowed him to take her to her bedroom. He set her down on the bed and gave her another sweet kiss.


"This calls for a celebration." Taylor looked up at him and smiled. "Change into something cute and I'll come back and get you in ten minutes okay?"


Taylor just shook her head as Nick bounded toward the door. Before he closed it, Taylor stopped him with her voice, "So Carter, is this going to involve that seduction you were talking about last week?"


Nick winked at her mischievously and answered, "If you're lucky it will."





Taylor managed to change into the demure negligée she and Jamie had picked up at the mall. It was sexy, but not very revealing; trashy wasn't Taylor's style. She sat down at the dressing table and picked up a hairbrush. As she slowly pulled the bristles through her hair, her happy thoughts clouded slightly and a voice inside her spoke up. Who are you kidding Taylor? She stopped and looked in the mirror, her complexion paling slightly. Reaching for her perfume, the voice returned. You honestly believe that Nick could be attracted to someone like you? Let alone love something like you? It was mocking her and a sinister echo followed each word. She closed her eyes to try and force it from her mind.


Standing slowly, she opened her eyes and again looked at her reflection. She saw only ugliness and pain; these were her reality. She couldn't see anything that would be remotely attractive to anyone, especially to Nick.


That's right Taylor, you know it's true. He can't love you, no one can. A tear slid down her face and she quickly brushed it aside and breathed deep. But you owe him, God knows he's taken pity on you for some reason. You know what he wants Taylor and you owe him that. . .


She closed her eyes again and tried to stop the voice. "No, go away, I don't need you anymore!" Looking on the dressing table she noticed one of her prescriptions. She snapped the bottle open and pulled out a tablet. "Nick loves ME," she thought as she quickly swallowed the pill, "NOT YOU!" A few deep breaths and she was calm again. "I deserve to be happy, don't I? I'm good enough, aren't I?"





Nick was at the door a few minutes later. "Come in," she managed to choke out. He opened it, and she stared at him for a moment. He stood there in his silk pajama pants, smiling that mischievous smile again.


"Have I told you lately how beautiful you are Taylor?" She blushed as he swept her up in his arms. Without a word, he carried her to his room which was bathed in candlelight and had soft music playing in the background. He moved over to the small sitting area and lowered her onto a big overstuffed chair. Taylor looked down at him as he sat cross legged on the floor in front of the chair facing her.


"Why do you look so sad, baby? We're supposed to be celebrating. . ." Taylor smiled a little at the anxious look on Nick's face. "Oh, I know what it is," he said as his eyes lit up as if a light bulb had just turned on in his brain, "You can't really celebrate anything without champagne, right? See, I knew that so I came prepared." He was smiling proudly as he reached to the side of the chair and pulled out a tray with some glasses and a bucket of chilled champagne. He carefully opened the bottle and poured two generous glasses, handing one to Taylor.


"May I propose a toast?" He asked and Taylor nodded. "To the most amazing woman I have ever met. A woman who is as smart as she is beautiful, definitely something new in my world," he said laughing. "A woman who challenges me at every moment to be a better person, a better friend, and hopefully," he said picking up her hand and kissing it lightly, "a better lover." Taylor shuddered as his lips returned to her hand once more before he continued, "To a woman who has opened my world up to feelings and emotions that I never knew existed. And finally," he said, looking deeply into her eyes, "to the hope that this wonderful woman will continue to amaze me and challenge me for the rest of my life."


Taylor reached out and brushed her fingers lightly across his cheek as a lone tear slid down her face. He covered her hand with his and moved his lips to caress each of her fingertips as she closed her eyes to drink in the sensation. Nick leaned in closer as he took her hand and placed it with his over his heart. "Taylor, look at me. . ." She blinked her eyes and looked down to see tears falling from his eyes as well. "I meant what I said Taylor, I love you like I've never loved anyone before and I won't lie, it's a little scary, but that's because this is all new to me. . ." He stopped to take a deep breath. "I know that somewhere deep inside you love me too, I can feel it when I touch you and when you touch me and I just want you to know that I'll wait as long as. . ."


"Shhhh. . ." Taylor stopped him, "This is right Nick, we don't have to wait." She wanted this so bad and it had been so long. "But. . . I'm scared too. This, all of this. . ." she paused looking deep into his eyes, "this loving, caring, this is all new to me too. I don't know exactly what. . ." He stopped her and laid his head in her lap, running his hands softly up her legs and pulling her closer to him.


"I don't know either Taylor, but I do know one thing, I love you and we can learn together, okay?"


Taylor lovingly reached down to run her hands through his hair as he sighed. It was taking all the strength she could find, but for once in her life she was letting her fears go. She had never felt so loved or so safe. The walls she had carefully built up that stood between her and the rest of the world crumbled as this beautiful person professed his love for her. Her hands fell to his face and she smoothed her fingertips over his cheeks and across his lips. She watched him close his eyes as she leaned down and placed her lips on his, reaching out to him as if he were her own personal savior.


Their lips met gently, each tasting for the first time the love which had for so long been lying in wait, yearning to come through. It was as if they were feeling each other for the first time, their hands gliding patiently over every curve and every crease of the other. Nick felt her apprehension floating away as his fingers moved over her neck, flowed down her shoulders and traced the length of her arms to clasp her hands in his.


Her lips opened as his tongue tentatively reached out to tease the outline of her mouth. She parted her lips slightly and met him with her own sense of curiosity and need. She breathed deeply in the midst of the kiss, and her senses were filled with the scent of his cologne, the champagne, the candles, and most importantly, his love. They leaned into one another as if they were trying to break through some invisible barrier that was keeping them apart. The barrier wasn't there anymore and their physical search for the secrets the other possessed began.


Nick pulled away and stood up, gathering her softly into his arms. He moved effortlessly to the bed and placed Taylor gently in the center, carefully moving to stretch out beside her. He laid on his side looking at her for the longest time, committing the moment to memory as much as he could. From the tips of her incredibly long eyelashes, to the soft waves in her auburn hair, to the taupe polish on her toenails, he loved everything about this woman and it took his breath away thinking about it. He casually leaned over to kiss her neck, trailing his tongue across the sensitive skin and sliding up to whisper to her. "I want this to be perfect for you Taylor," he said as his fingers lingered on her hip, coaxing her body to turn and meet his.


"I'm with you Nick, it will be perfect, it will be," she replied as she rolled over to meet his lips once again.


Their kisses were deep and gentle. Each touch, each caress was more passionate than the one before. Nick was tentative, he didn't want to rush anything. It had to be perfect because to him, she was perfect. Taylor sensed his hesitation but she didn't encourage him either way. It was all about Nick, whatever he wanted. She wanted this just as much, but like the voice said, she owed him that.


The satin she was wearing felt cool to his touch as he slid her gown up from her thighs, resting it on her hips as his warm hands slid over the back of her legs. He felt goosebumps on her skin as his fingers gently massaged her legs. He leaned back for a moment, watching as she unconsciously licked her lips, swollen from their kisses, her eyes closed and a look of contentment painted on her face.


He reached up to trace the outline of her face, his fingers grazing lightly across her cheek and down her neck down to the outline of her breast through her gown. She moaned softly as he lazily ran his finger around her breast and across the nipple rising against the shiny fabric. His tongue followed the trail of his fingers and he gently nipped her through her gown. Taylor rolled back onto the bed, allowing Nick to continue his exploration. As she moved, he pulled at her gown, carefully undoing the tiny buttons that held it together. He stared at her as he did this and she looked back at him with shining green eyes, full of love and hope. Her fingers reached out to smooth over his arms as he continued his task with the buttons. She felt the strength of his muscles under her touch and took comfort in the thought that he was strong enough for both of them.


Finally, her gown fell open and his hands and mouth took possession of her body and her soul. Taylor felt the fire starting as Nick moved his hands and mouth lower, his tongue inviting her body to let go, to give into his caress and fill the void between them.





Nick watched her face as he moved rhythmically above her, the sensation of being inside her overpowering him.


She was gasping, her body writhing within his grasp but some part of her remained unwilling. Nick could feel her fighting her own demons, and losing the battle. She tensed up and he felt her start to pull away from his touch. He wasn't going to let that happen. He wanted to help her overcome the fears and doubts that still had a hold on her.


His hand continued to roam over her as he shifted his body, trailing kisses along her neck until he could whisper to her. "This is me Taylor, no one else. . ." Her eyes closed as he watched her battle. "I love you and you love me. . .give in to me Taylor. . .you know this is right. . .you know this is real. . .just let go. . .let it all go. . ." With that she cried out as Nick felt her push onto him and slip over the edge, the feeling of her orgasm washing over him and forcing his release as well.


He sighed deeply as he looked down at her. Her eyes were closed again and she was slowly coming down from her high. As her ecstasy subsided, he gently ran his hands across her body, watching as her breathing evened and the flush complexion of her pale skin faded slightly.


She opened her eyes and leaned up to touch her lips to his. "Thank you, Nick. . ." Crystal blue eyes met mossy green ones, and he smiled, "You're welcome." He lightly outlined her lips with his tongue. "But oh, I'm not finished with you yet. . ."